Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 01:11 PM

146 posts, read 100,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Where exactly do you live? If you have the highest median income is not housing pretty expensive?
The counties with the highest median household income are Loudoun and Fairfax, both in the Virginia suburbs of D.C., and both over $100K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 01:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
I agree that this factor in housing is what makes it hard to have enough money to retire on. On the other hand that expensive housing might be the retirement vehicle for people now.
The high wage areas like the bay area allowed people to spend way more on housing than would seem prudent.
I got into the same discussion in a Ca forum about affordability saying the people that make big $$ probably like Ca because it is a nice place and they can afford it. Of people that bought early, rode the appreciation but got their property taxes locked in at a low rate because of prop 13 or okay to. But for people trying to get settled now and buy a house it is daunting.
The other poster didn't seem to think that was much of an issue as he was retired in a lower cost area of Ca and was all set not caring about others struggling now.
Don't forget those that bought in 2009-12... a buy of a generation... the clock had been set back 20+ years in some areas like mine...

My neighbors bought nearly twice the home I have and 45 years newer back in 2012 and we pay almost the same property tax and I bought 9 years prior in 2003

Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent Off View Post
The counties with the highest median household income are Loudoun and Fairfax, both in the Virginia suburbs of D.C., and both over $100K.
Is housing cost and taxes an issue there?

Old 11-27-2017, 02:12 PM

146 posts, read 100,727 times
Complaining about rush-hour traffic seems to be a bigger deal in the Northern Virginia forum.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The state basically takes care of older folk who retire broke. Heck, not just retired people either. I know some people working at Walmart and other low wage jobs that get HUD, food stamps, medicaid, etc. It's really the middle class that gets the shaft in this country.
YEP! My SIL purposely works a low paying job and refuses to marry her boyfriend so she can get all the government assistance that she can qualify for, free child care, food stamps, utility payment breaks, etc. She was offered a promotion with full time hours and she turned it down because she would lose her "benefits". That's what's wrong with this country, people who abuse the system. I've said it before, there needs to be a time limit on it!

Old 11-27-2017, 05:09 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
Quote:
Is housing cost and taxes an issue there?
Yes, housing costs in Fairfax and Loudoun are notoriously expensive as well as Arlington County, VA.

https://www.trulia.com/home_prices/V...unty-heat_map/

Prices are significantly driven by school desirability. The best school districts are in the top economic districts (i.e. - richest districts with a lesser number of students from economically disadvantaged households) The top NoVA (Northern Virginia) complaint is about traffic, as Fifty Percent Off said. Taxes - eh. Not as high as Maryland, and not that high compared to other states up north such as NY.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Yes, housing costs in Fairfax and Loudoun are notoriously expensive as well as Arlington County, VA.

Prices are significantly driven by school desirability. The best school districts are in the top economic districts (i.e. - richest districts with a lesser number of students from economically disadvantaged households) The top NoVA (Northern Virginia) complaint is about traffic, as Fifty Percent Off said. Taxes - eh. Not as high as Maryland, and not that high compared to other states up north such as NY.
So would it be fair to say that both the Bay Area and this area share similar problems? Or is the income so high as to outweigh the high housing costs?
Looking at
https://www.trulia.com/home_prices/C...isco-heat_map/
https://www.trulia.com/home_prices/C...unty-heat_map/

it seems like houses may be higher than those areas in Ca, but is income higher in Fairfax, Loudoun, and Arlington County, VA than in the bay area?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:47 PM

354 posts, read 414,715 times
Default I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
You have no idea of what you are talking about. Nica is a poor country, but has an amazing culture and abundant amounts of food. It literally grows on trees. The people live a simple life. You can get Zika in many places, even Florida. Nica has a high quality health care system which supports expats for $300 a year. That’s right, a year. Nica is in Central America not South America. They had a revolution back in the 80 and 90s and it was supported by the US. The revolution ended a possible communist regime. The country has been in peace for well over 20 years. Some parts of Nica were once colonies of England and the main language in those parts is English (Corn Islands, etc.). They have amazing museums and ancient ruins. Hell, I walked in a guys back yard and there were literally ancient inscriptions carved into rocks in his back yard. They have an Amazing University in Leon. The second oldest in Central America. You can drink their water, although just like here in the US, I’d filter it. In fact, my stomach was the strongest it has ever been when I was there. No processed foods, etc. I did not witness nor hear about anyone being abused. I only hear about that here in the US regarding our movie stars and politicians.

Besides the point though. My point is that if you are struggling in retirement here in the US, there are many places around the world where your dollar will go a lot further. Stop living a boring life.
A good friend of mine moved to Ecuador last July and after several months determined she will never live in the states again. No GMO foods, fresh foods, you don't have cars, you use taxis, buses or walk and she has lost 20 lbs. Health care In Ecuador is rated higher than the US. Yesterday I sold my RV to a couple who lived in Phoenix and his sister had 3 back surgeries and she was on various pain killers and drugs, she literally was dying. She moved to Ecuador, got off the drugs, she uses marijuana for her pain killer and they said she is a changed woman living her life happy again. His mother joined the daughter and the mother is from Ecuador and she is getting a dual citizenship and her health care will cost her $75 a month. You can live cheaper and the pace of living is slower. People in 2nd world countries value their families. Another friend moved to the coast of Ecuador and she is doing amazing. She bought rental property there.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:12 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
A good friend of mine moved to Ecuador last July and after several months determined she will never live in the states again. No GMO foods, fresh foods, you don't have cars, you use taxis, buses or walk and she has lost 20 lbs. Health care In Ecuador is rated higher than the US. Yesterday I sold my RV to a couple who lived in Phoenix and his sister had 3 back surgeries and she was on various pain killers and drugs, she literally was dying. She moved to Ecuador, got off the drugs, she uses marijuana for her pain killer and they said she is a changed woman living her life happy again. His mother joined the daughter and the mother is from Ecuador and she is getting a dual citizenship and her health care will cost her $75 a month. You can live cheaper and the pace of living is slower. People in 2nd world countries value their families. Another friend moved to the coast of Ecuador and she is doing amazing. She bought rental property there.
Great to hear and congrats to them. I love the US, but there are much better places in the world to retire, especially if you are broke.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:19 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
A good friend of mine moved to Ecuador last July and after several months determined she will never live in the states again. No GMO foods, fresh foods, you don't have cars, you use taxis, buses or walk and she has lost 20 lbs.
The whole "don't have cars" so have to walk more doesn't make sense since she could have walked in the US as well, why not just ditch her car in USA and walk everywhere? Also with the no GMO foods thing, how is the water quality there? How about no restaurant standards or inspections? Is she enjoying washing all her fresh veggies in water she had to boil two hours earlier to make it clean? The meats that are hanging in the butcher shop in the heat with flies on it, the kid occasionally waving a plastic bag attached to a stick to shoo them when she bothers to look up from the TV? How about not being able to flush toilet paper, does she like piling that into the trashcan next to the toilet and considering the hygiene of it?

Quote:
Health care In Ecuador is rated higher than the US.
No, it isn't. It might be cheaper, and it is probably a lot better than many people in the US would assume, but it isn't rated higher. US has better trained doctors, better facilities, better standards, just about everything is better except the cost.

Quote:
You can live cheaper and the pace of living is slower. People in 2nd world countries value their families.
Absolutely! You can live cheaper in Ecuador. You can also enjoy power outtages, bars on your windows and razor wire around your roof, corrupt police, civil unrest that can often block highways and disrupt supplies of goods, sidewalks that have holes big enough to fall into, etc. cheaper isn't always better.

Regarding valuing their families, I think overall that is a valid point but only because people in Latin America live with their families more into adulthood. There are plenty of people in the USA who love and care for their families more, and plenty of people in Latin America who treat their families like crap. Spousal abuse and cheating on a marriage are far more an expected/accepted part of the culture in many Latin American countries than in USA, so if you want to factor that into valuing their family have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics