Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 09:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Really then why is it so well documented?

It has been reported for every major city across the country, and more and more across the world.

https://www.curbed.com/2016/1/27/108...n-francisco-la

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...r=accesspaylog

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...crisis/557639/
Okay let's see which of your links "documents" your assertion that normal people cannot afford to live in major cities.

1. Blog post about how home prices are high in major cities with focus on San Francisco, LA, and New York City. This does not prove that normal people cannot afford to live in major cities.

2. Paywall article.

3. Another article about how expensive housing in major cities is. This does not prove that normal people cannot afford to live in major cities.

Instead of articles about the cost of buying homes in new cities, how about you look at the actual evidence = tens of millions of normal Americans live in major cities. You're basically saying they can't afford to, yet there they are. You're rationalizing this massive hole in your logic by focusing on the cost of a new home, without considering that many people already own homes and many other people rent. Every normal person in every major city is not in the process of shopping for a new home.

It's classic Winterfall to take some articles saying it's expensive to buy a new home in major cities and decide that makes it "well documented" that normal people cannot afford to live there, yet another instance of say A then try to support it by proving B. Does you local community college have some intro to logic type courses you can take?

Quote:
And yes, even Houston.
Later on we'll let the all normal people living in Houston know that you said they can't afford to live there, but in the meanwhile let's take a look at Houston.

Median family income in Houston = 63k (that would be the normal people)
*source = https://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/texas/houston/

Houstonians need an income of 53k to buy a home
*source = https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...-to-buy-a.html

Average rent in Houston is $1,406 for two bedrooms, $1550 for three bedrooms.
*source = https://www.zumper.com/research/average-rent/houston-tx

So you're saying all those normal people in Houston can't afford it, despite their median salary being more than enough to buy a new home and median rent falling into the 1/3 rule for rent vs. salary. You have failed.

Quote:
So yes, I was right
You say this constantly, and the only one you convince is yourself.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
For lieqiang I have already offered multiple links to prove my point about housing prices in big cities. There is no side-step on my part.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! Hilariously you are doing exactly what everyone has repeatedly noted you do. Your point in dispute wasn't housing prices, it was this exact quote:

Quote:
Why do you think major cities have become unaffordable for normal people.
You have sidestepped supporting this assertion that normal people cannot afford to live in major cities by putting all your energy into proving it's expensive to buy a new house in a major city, which is not the same thing. Nobody was disputing that homes in some major cities are expensive, so you're arguing against something you've invented to argue against. Now you're lying about what your point was, because you know you cannot defend the original statement.

You've taken to the next level: sidestepping to try to demonstrate you don't sidestep.

Meta-sidestep?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! Hilariously you are doing exactly what everyone has repeatedly noted you do. Your point in dispute wasn't housing prices, it was this exact quote:

You have sidestepped supporting this assertion that normal people cannot afford to live in major cities by putting all your energy into proving it's expensive to buy a new house in a major city, which is not the same thing. Nobody was disputing that homes in some major cities are expensive, so you're arguing against something you've invented to argue against. Now you're lying about what your point was, because you know you cannot defend the original statement.

You've taken to the next level: sidestepping to try to demonstrate you don't sidestep.

Meta-sidestep?
No my friend, the economical active places have become ultra expensive, especially for young people trying to start a career.

It's the difference between owning an apartment in Manhattan, and barely paying rent for a room in the Bronx.

Both examples show someone living in NYC, but not on equal circumstances. And again, the same property prices are rising in sunbelt cities like Houston, it will happen there too.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
So, new technology is not technological advance[ment]? I learnt a new definition of technological advancement today.

Have you ever looked at a patent? Almost all patents are built on prior art. I'd think that the patent examiners know what is new invention better than you or the Verge columnist do and they awarded plenty of patents to iPhone. Even if all the components of iPhone existed for other purposes (maybe the hardware components did but the software did not), just to put them together and putting it to new use via software and ecosystem is an invention.

You obviously live in a very simple world and that's fine. Just don't try to pretend that you understand how the entire world and economy works. Again, that's fine, everyone does not have to understand everything.

And you are not the only one. I am seeing plenty of examples where people listen to a few ted talks or watch a few youtube videos and assume that they know more than the experts. I am just glad that they are not in charge of running things (yet).
You haven't provided one ounce of information in your post besides projections and lies.

SHOWCASE, that means the iphone has modern technology inside it like touch-screen technology, and GPS abilities that were not developed by Apple or the private industry.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
No my friend, the economical active places have become ultra expensive, especially for young people trying to start a career.
Ahhh so now the "normal people cannot afford to live in major cities" is being spun into vague reference to economically active places for young people trying to start a career. The Winterfall-Shuffle.

Quote:
It's the difference between owning an apartment in Manhattan, and barely paying rent for a room in the Bronx.
"Normal people cannot afford to live in major cities" is now proven by owing versus renting in Manhattan. The Winterfall-Shuffle.

Quote:
Both examples show someone living in NYC, but not on equal circumstances. And again, the same property prices are rising in sunbelt cities like Houston, it will happen there too.
"Normal people cannot afford to live in major cities" is proven by prices rising in Sunbelt cities? The Winterfall-Shuffle.

Obviously you are incapable of supporting what you said about normal people in major cities, you fail and you give three more examples of what other poster were referring to when they said you sidestep being able to stand up for any argument you try to make.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:51 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
Hoover and FDR raised taxes to "fix" the depression and created the Great Depression. Nobody paid the high tax rates back i the 1950's and JFK slashed them, which help create a great economic boom in the 1960's. Even Obama said raising Cap Gain taxes does not bring in more money, but it was what he called "fair". How dumb was that guy?

Old 01-26-2019, 04:40 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
It is only a tax on profits (so not total sale value). I'm not supporting it from a tax revenue stand point, I don't care about that, but it would lower economic activity in the corporate sector and dissuade people from investing (and inflating) the stock market. The materialistic profit motive that has driven our economy has built an authoritarian state where money buys you freedom, and the more money you have, the more freedom you have as well. To create a freer society it must be more egalitarian and not based on increasing economic activity. Also in the long run it will lower government revenues and slow imperialistic ambitions abroad. Furthermore people will be happier not trying to become millionaires and building a life rather than making a living.
So which is it? You are 16 years old, you've never had an economic class in your life, or you just don't understand the correlation between economic freedom and actual freedom?

Old 01-26-2019, 08:19 AM

10,770 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Ahhh so now the "normal people cannot afford to live in major cities" is being spun into vague reference to economically active places for young people trying to start a career. The Winterfall-Shuffle.

"Normal people cannot afford to live in major cities" is now proven by owing versus renting in Manhattan. The Winterfall-Shuffle.

"Normal people cannot afford to live in major cities" is proven by prices rising in Sunbelt cities? The Winterfall-Shuffle.

Obviously you are incapable of supporting what you said about normal people in major cities, you fail and you give three more examples of what other poster were referring to when they said you sidestep being able to stand up for any argument you try to make.
Hilarious!

Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:

I'm going to rename this the Winterfall Slide. Shuffle seems too small.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:58 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:

Let's assume for a moment that you're right. And?

You're saying that because prices are "too high" (and what is the objective measurement we're using to determine what's "too high" or OK? Your subjective opinion on the matter, that's all) there's this huge problem and "something" must be done. Something other than to simply allow free market forces to work, of course... it would be awful for some people to move away, and for others to not move in, right? There's no chance that if prices actually are "too high" that a contraction of the workforce will act to reduce demand and therefore prices? Or that a constant demand against a shrinking workforce will result in increased wages?

There are many places I cannot afford to live. That isn't some great injustice. I just have to choose to live where I can afford it. It isn't my place to demand that a certain area needs me so much that it must find a way to accommodate me. Even if I'm right, why not just go somewhere else and let that area take it's lumps until it learns the hard way and lures me back with more money or lower prices?

These things always work themselves out... unless those who firmly believe they know better take the reins and start yanking and sawing in a pointless effort to redirect the natural course of events. They always fail, and they always cause more misery than would have existed otherwise. Sure, you can point at a few who reap a benefit from rent control or artificially-inflated wages, but you have to ignore the many more who are hurt by increased scarcity or prices.

You very literally have no point, except that you have an opinion and you're upset that the rest of the world doesn't share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics