Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 06:38 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the masses are poor, they need to get out of the way.
lol

Old 01-26-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Another nonsensical statement from someone who cannot grasp Economics.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's Supply & Demand.

People are pricing themselves out of major cities through their desire to live there.

You can't seem to grasp the reality that people are the Market.

There are 39,287 major housing markets in the US, and each of those has 6 to as many as 40 sub-markets, you know, neighborhoods.

Some neighborhoods are more desirable than others for any number of reasons, so housing costs can vary greatly within one of those 39,287 major markets.

For example, I lived in a particular neighborhood that was built pre-WW I, and because it was, not only do the houses not have garages, they don't even have driveways.

On extremely rare days, I could park in front of my home, and occasionally I could park on street and walk 200' or so to my home, but more often than not, I ended up parking 1-4 blocks away on another street. Such areas are not desired by older people or people of any age group with children, because no young mother wants to tote her children and groceries 3-4 blocks from the car to her home, and make several trips, especially in inclement weather.

Only a small segment of the population, namely undergrad and graduate students and single professionals have any desire to live there, and consequently, houses sell for $30,000 to $50,000 or rent for $450/month.

In areas where housing is desirable, it costs more.

Most housing areas, especially in dense urban areas, have a finite supply of housing.

It is either not possible, or not feasible, to increase the supply of housing, because every inch of land is occupied by a dwelling place or a business.

Eliminating businesses is self-defeating, because it makes areas less desirable. People want quick access to gasoline stations, convenience stores, restaurants, other grocery and retail, and services.

Even where you could tear down two single-family homes, subdivide the two lots into three lots and build three single-family homes, it would not significantly increase the supply of housing to lower the cost of housing.

The only effective way to increase the supply of housing is multi-story multi-family units, but those would have to be 2-3 bedrooms at a minimum, otherwise your market segment is only going to be older people with no children, or single people or young couples with no children, and families with children are still left in a market with few options, so you haven't really impacted the supply of housing at all.
And this is not the complete case. Yes demand and supply rise costs, but demand and supply are artificially constructed by investors.

When part of the demand exists for investing money in real estate, flipping housing, and storing wealth in a certain market, demand is artificially risen. Conversely this means developers make more profit building high-end real estate which makes part of the supply inaccessible for middle income people.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:48 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
And this is not the complete case. Yes demand and supply rise costs, but demand and supply are artificially constructed by investors.

When part of the demand exists for investing money in real estate, flipping housing, and storing wealth in a certain market, demand is artificially risen. Conversely this means developers make more profit building high-end real estate which makes part of the supply inaccessible for middle income people.
Investors don’t create demand, they react to it.

Learn the basics.

Derka durr.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Investors don’t create demand, they react to it.

Learn the basics.

Derka durr.
Read my post, developers can, as well as public projects.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Read my post, developers can, as well as public projects.
Developers don’t make demand. They respond to it.

Public works go both way. Public housing? That’s just like a developer, responds to demand, just much more slowly.

Holler when you get out of high school and get a few hairs on your chest in life. See where you stand then.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
This topic is moronic! Why is this thread still going on and on? No one but the OP is stating capital gains should be that high. NO ONE!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:18 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
Companies wouldn't be able to raise capital if investors had to eat all of the risk for just a 10% profit. Millions of people wouldn't have jobs. I'm liberal than most on CD, but there is nothing inherently wrong with partaking in the stock market. This is ludicrous.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This topic is moronic! Why is this thread still going on and on? No one but the OP is stating capital gains should be that high. NO ONE!
Tell me about it, up to almost 800 posts, will it make it to 1,000?

Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFL View Post
Why not just tax it as regular income?
You can't help but notice that the OP didn't dare respond to this post. Of course, I have +1 the topic, and for being a subforum noob and doing so, I apologize.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
You're so full of it. That means they don't have access to the same opportunities, nor do they have the capital of time.
Winterfall Shuffle. Whether they have access to the same opportunities or not has nothing to with your claim that normal people cannot afford to live in major cities.

Quote:
Big cities are no longer affordable of the masses.
Yes, you said that already. Problem is you cannot support this argument, other that trying to prove various other things that you think by extension proves this as well.

Answer me this: are there millions of normal people living in major cities? It's a simple yes/no question. (Everyone on this forum knows you won't answer)

Here is an example of how you work:

Winterfall: There are no more grizzly bears in Yellowstone.

SanePerson: Sure there are, the park says there are 700

Winterfall: No there aren't any, grizzly bears need 30 lbs of food per today so there can't be any

SanePerson: Their diet needs don't prove there aren't bears, in fact here's a picture of one from yesterday

Winterfall: Nope, it's harder and hard for grizzles to survive with human encroachment, so there are none left

SanePerson: How do you explain all the pictures of grizzly bears in Yellowstone?

Winterfall: Black bears are far more adaptable. That proves I'm right.

SanePerson: It doesn't prove you're right, since grizzly bears are actually there.

Winterfall: Grizzly bears are hunted illegally for their fur, so there can't be grizzles.

etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics