Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 09:58 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I suspect a lot of it may be increased demand to rebuild places wrecked by storms, floods and fires. On our island, we lost about 700-800 houses from lava last year. Things are pretty busy around here, contractors won't even give bids on projects unless they either get paid to give a bid or are guaranteed to be given the bid. How crazy is that?
We're Hurricane Michael disaster area-adjacent. It's hard to find a reputable contractor to return your call for less than what they think will be a $50K project. It took us probably eight months to find someone willing to touch a screened porch rehab that included replacing wood posts with aluminum because the roof is a part of the house and it actually required a week's worth of two skilled carpenters to do the post swaps rather than being a project where the GC could use any day laborer looking for work from the Home Depot parking lot. And probably cost twice as much as it would have a few years back.

Next up- a bathroom rehab that involves fixing some water damage from an incorrectly leveled tub. It's a small space and we want a very simple tub-shower replacement with IKEA level vanity. The GCs get insulted if we tell them we don't think it's a $20K project for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 05:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
There's also the gaps they have to fill between projects. If they take on a lot of small projects, they end up being unavailable for more lucrative projects for businesses that also keep their employees on site every day.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Building trades...
Prices of raw materials and labor have climbed significantly in last 10 yrs. Quality has tanked (everyone is busy at the moment)

thus...
stay healthy and DIY

or

Wait for the significant upcoming downturn in economy / building trades.

I anticipate a LOT of blood letting. (for everyone except banks, they seem to always come out OK).

Warning: A lot of the QUALITY workmanship will evaporate / more 'real' craftsmen are dying daily.
Some trades will disappear.

Replacement tradesmen / materials are not always equal to the old stuff.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:08 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I don't understand why some people bring stock market into this. Are you bonafide leech class living off family trusts and such? A working stiff by definition lives off selling his butt to live a day.
That's 100% bull.

It would be VERY EASY to imagine some working stiff, say $60,000 a year (even assuming no raises or salary increases), creating a valuable portfolio in the $200,000+ range if they diligently invested over the past 10 years.

People make excuses for not investing their money, or making their dollars work for them instead of the other way around, but if you stopped dropping $500 on a car payment, or spending $50 a night eating out, the picture to prosperity would become much clearer.

A lot of pointless gnashing of teeth when people could use more financial discipline.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:59 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

Branded tools I am interested in definitely got higher in price

and lower in quality, but I did not run statistical analysis so I will not make strict numerical claims. At the fresh glance prices are at the very least 50% higher across the board with some prices much more inflated. My point remains - investing money in long term use/shelf life items beats anything an average person like me can expect from banks and investment wizards.

Alot of Craftsman Tools are made in Taiwan think particularly the socket wrench sets. Always look for any product is made, don't assume because the manufacture is counting on that. Food producers to similar things with packaging reducing the size but keep the same labels etc but you lose out.

I am hearing or seeing conflicting information on scrap metal and recycling. If the domestic economy/manufacturing was booming that much wouldn't scrap metal hold high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics