Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4c6yv3r View Post
Sorry you lost me when they can jump ship? If i rent from the cheaper place and they want to keep me, then they would leave rent as is. Most LL don't want empty houses correct? But their is no price competition with leases or contracts. You will say their is base on demand and what your willing to pay for it, so beat that dead horse with a real answer. If you remove the contracts or leases, what is the draw back? ( still have one in place for damages, that's a given)
If you're renting for $600, and the market for that unit is now $800, the landlord could simply raise your rent to $800 or evict you. If you are in a market where rents are rising quickly due to demand, the landlord could simply raise your rent every month to reflect the market. Without the protection of leases, I expect rent would always be rising because there would be fewer landlords and fewer places to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM

15 posts, read 6,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
If you're renting for $600, and the market for that unit is now $800, the landlord could simply raise your rent to $800 or evict you. If you are in a market where rents are rising quickly due to demand, the landlord could simply raise your rent every month to reflect the market. Without the protection of leases, I expect rent would always be rising because there would be fewer landlords and fewer places to rent.
True, just be nice to fix it were a person can leave without having to deal with contracts for cheaper or better places. Im sure you could fix it were your price is locked in till you move out, but dont expect the renter to pay the exit bill.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:05 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
True, just be nice to fix it were a person can leave without having to deal with contracts for cheaper or better places. Im sure you could fix it were your price is locked in till you move out, but dont expect the renter to pay the exit bill.
maybe we can just make it so you can pick wherever you want to live and pay whatever you think is fair, and you can stay as long or as short a time as you want. Of course there would still be a contract for damages.

Would that work for you?

Old 03-18-2019, 02:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Are contracts for everything really needed in todays world?

To me it seems like your lock in a given rate while other competition are having better deals. Now you cant jump ship without paying a break up fee. So why have them? Do you thing it will force competition on regular basic now? Even if your the only player in town, they still lock you in one, so kinda defeats the purpose.
Some of examples.
Remove Renter contracts other then damages
Power if you have alternatives such as oncore ( texas has like 4+)<-- They lock you in for cheap rates only to suck you dry at the end of the deal.
Cable/internet if they share the same lines.

In many cases contracts are required if you want anything. The legal & business professions have come to dominate everything that just ordinary word of mouth things formerly accomplished. Business has gone legal - way more than it used to be.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Are contracts for everything really needed in todays world?
Yes, and you would know that if you actually lived in the real world.

Quote:
Some things you can write up a contract to prevent damage or other means.
You just refuted your entire premise.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
maybe we can just make it so you can pick wherever you want to live and pay whatever you think is fair, and you can stay as long or as short a time as you want. Of course there would still be a contract for damages.

Would that work for you?
Yea! why not. You the LL or business owner already got paid when i bought or rented the item. What more do you want? I see it daily and even our local news dept made many stories about business price gouging and housing market is over priced. They were kinda over reacting when a "million dollar house" was built up in a area that once sold houses for 100-200k. Now since this new house was built, people are thinking their houses are worth more then they sold. Sucker born every min will paid that over price house base on deception in the market.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, and you would know that if you actually lived in the real world.

You just refuted your entire premise.

Damages can hold up in court lot easier then making somebody pay the remaining x on a lease, because they found a cheaper/better place to live. Not the renters fault that you couldn't "price match". If i see a better deal, I will break lease and no you wont get a break up fee. I paid for the month that I was in and moved out before the firs of the following month. Its up to you to find a new tenant by price market. If folks are cheaper in your area, and you refuse to adjust, then its your lost. No renter should have to fork over an break up fee period. Thats my thoughts on that ordeal. Cell phone, some major power companies and few cable companies have moved away from contracts. The ones remaining for services contracts are due to prevent people jumping ship, or they are the only ones in the area. I have 3 choices for cable tv, 12 for power, and non of them require you to sign a contract to get services. They earn their services base on price wars. Just wish rentals, and other business would do the same.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:12 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Damages can hold up in court lot easier then making somebody pay the remaining x on a lease, because they found a cheaper/better place to live. Not the renters fault that you couldn't "price match". If i see a better deal, I will break lease and no you wont get a break up fee. I paid for the month that I was in and moved out before the firs of the following month. Its up to you to find a new tenant by price market. If folks are cheaper in your area, and you refuse to adjust, then its your lost. No renter should have to fork over an break up fee period. Thats my thoughts on that ordeal. Cell phone, some major power companies and few cable companies have moved away from contracts. The ones remaining for services contracts are due to prevent people jumping ship, or they are the only ones in the area. I have 3 choices for cable tv, 12 for power, and non of them require you to sign a contract to get services. They earn their services base on price wars. Just wish rentals, and other business would do the same.
There are month to month rentals in every city. Find one, move there. It will probably cost you more than the one year lease though, just to cover the months where the units are vacant. Every state has mitigation laws where a landlord has to try and find a renter if you break your lease, and can't charge you for periods where another renter takes the unit you vacated.

Honestly, you have no clue how the world works, and why contracts are important. You might want to take a class on them.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There are month to month rentals in every city. Find one, move there. It will probably cost you more than the one year lease though, just to cover the months where the units are vacant. Every state has mitigation laws where a landlord has to try and find a renter if you break your lease, and can't charge you for periods where another renter takes the unit you vacated.

Honestly, you have no clue how the world works, and why contracts are important. You might want to take a class on them.
I know how important the need to be for business deals. When your talking millions vs few hundred bucks a month, then it is wise to work out the details and have a mutual agreement.

Yes each state and city have month to month, and will gladly over price it just to force you into a lease. Only to raise it once the lease is up. So not sure if month to month is more expensive knowing your going to end up paying that price at the end of lease and up for renewal.

Some things need contracts for sure, but when it comes to the basic need of life.. no contracts should be needed.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
I know how important the need to be for business deals. When your talking millions vs few hundred bucks a month, then it is wise to work out the details and have a mutual agreement.

Yes each state and city have month to month, and will gladly over price it just to force you into a lease. Only to raise it once the lease is up. So not sure if month to month is more expensive knowing your going to end up paying that price at the end of lease and up for renewal.

Some things need contracts for sure, but when it comes to the basic need of life.. no contracts should be needed.
OK, so you will be perfectly OK if I throw you out with no notice so I can rent to someone who is willing to pay more than you?

Contracts provide certainty for both sides. What you are asking for is chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics