Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 01:01 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4c6yv3r View Post
Shouldn't require a contract to conduct business if you have a monopoly. I mean where can a person jump ship too when their are no other ships in the port. If they can provide promo rates for x years, then im sure they can keep the same promo for lot longer, if not then don't promo the price. Bait and switch in todays world can really hurt your business with social media. But even then that will only get you so far. Contracts are good for things and not so good for alot of things. utilities is a big fat heck no on them. Call it competition with price wars. I know renting is an touchy subject and it got beat with a dead horse, but as a consumer, we should be able to move with out fear of being stuck with paying another bill for remaining of the contract. Some states have laws that the owner must find a replacement, but I know some will find one and still will bill you for remaining of the balance.
Have you ever heard the term "customer acquisition cost"? Any idea what it means? Any clue what a business model is or that the objective of a for profit corporation is to, and I know this comes as a shock, make a profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 02:09 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
........... But say you was a landlord and i was a renter and im paying you 600$ a month rent. Now im stuck on your 6 month lease, meanwhile, another house just open up for 400$ a month. I cant jump ship to get that cheaper rent. ..........

I can tell you don't live in California, or Oregon, or Washington. You aren't going to rent for $600 there and find a place to move to that costs $400. More like you will be paying $2,000 a month and everything else just went to $2200 a month and your landlord would like to raise your rent to $2200, too, so he can keep up with the market, except in the last 30 days, rents have gone up to $2600 a month.

If you don't want to rent with a lease, find a place where you can rent on a month to month agreement. Then, you can leave with a 30 day notice and your landlord can kick you out if he doesn't like you and your landlord can raise the rent anytime he wants to (even if you can't find a cheaper place to live, or any place to live at any price). Plenty of landlords do month to month instead of a lease. They do it precisely so they can kick out tenants they don't like and so they can raise the rent if they want to.

You don't have to have any contracts for anything. You can get a cell phone without a contract. Utilities don't involve contracts, you can quit anytime you want to have them turned off.

Pay all cash for your car. Don't buy a house unless you can buy it with all cash.

I'm not quite sure how you would be a military family without a contract with the military, though.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM

949 posts, read 572,981 times
Not needed if people were honest and trustworthy, but that hardly exists now. Contracts are usually vague too. They should focus on which party will be responsible for an action. Agreements that include the terms "will" and "shall" in them should do well. Using the correct punctuation will make all the difference too.

Accounting for every situation that could possibly come up would require the document to be millions of pages, rendering it useless.

I prefer lawyers to be limited to what they could chase after to make a dollar too. They are the ones looking for any opening to craft some ridiculous strategy to relieve their client from responsibility.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:05 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can tell you don't live in California, or Oregon, or Washington. You aren't going to rent for $600 there and find a place to move to that costs $400. More like you will be paying $2,000 a month and everything else just went to $2200 a month and your landlord would like to raise your rent to $2200, too, so he can keep up with the market, except in the last 30 days, rents have gone up to $2600 a month.

If you don't want to rent with a lease, find a place where you can rent on a month to month agreement. Then, you can leave with a 30 day notice and your landlord can kick you out if he doesn't like you and your landlord can raise the rent anytime he wants to (even if you can't find a cheaper place to live, or any place to live at any price). Plenty of landlords do month to month instead of a lease. They do it precisely so they can kick out tenants they don't like and so they can raise the rent if they want to.

You don't have to have any contracts for anything. You can get a cell phone without a contract. Utilities don't involve contracts, you can quit anytime you want to have them turned off.

Pay all cash for your car. Don't buy a house unless you can buy it with all cash.

I'm not quite sure how you would be a military family without a contract with the military, though.
Yep, you're about 20 years too late if you're looking to Oregon and Washington state for reprieve from California prices. And about the same now for Denver.

Raleigh and Atlanta are truly where it's at.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Sorry you lost me when they can jump ship? If i rent from the cheaper place and they want to keep me, then they would leave rent as is. Most LL don't want empty houses correct? But their is no price competition with leases or contracts. You will say their is base on demand and what your willing to pay for it, so beat that dead horse with a real answer. If you remove the contracts or leases, what is the draw back? ( still have one in place for damages, that's a given)
If you want a month-to-month rental, they do exist. Look on Craig's List.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
True, just be nice to fix it were a person can leave without having to deal with contracts for cheaper or better places. Im sure you could fix it were your price is locked in till you move out, but dont expect the renter to pay the exit bill.
Why on earth would a landlord ever agree to renting a place like that?

Old 03-21-2019, 03:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
True, just be nice to fix it were a person can leave without having to deal with contracts for cheaper or better places.
It's called a "month-to-month" lease.

Look into it.

A similar version is called a "short-term" lease.

You can look into that, too.

Quote:
Damages can hold up in court lot easier then making somebody pay the remaining x on a lease, because they found a cheaper/better place to live.
Except you agreed to live there for x-amount of time.

If you don't understand rental contracts, perhaps your mommy can come with you and explain them to you.

Quote:
Not the renters fault that you couldn't "price match".
No one is obligated at any time ever to "price match."

Had you done your due diligence, you would have been living in the lowest cost apartment from the start and not had the need to jump ship every five minutes.

Quote:
If i see a better deal, I will break lease and no you wont get a break up fee.
If you sign a contract, you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics