Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 07:19 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Because you say 'telling a woman what she can do with her body' is just a way to pi$$ women off so the will keep voting Democrat. SOME people think killing a baby is murder.
If my daughter was a rape victim and became pregnant because of it I’d certainly want her to have the option to abort the pregnancy. I’m not sure how you feel about your daughter, sister, mother, wife or friend if you have any of them.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Again. You're going way off-topic.
No the topic of this thread is how to cure young, naive, and indoctrinated at college people of leftism.

I'd argue show them Illinois where leftists are helping the people by taxing grannies and working families out of their homes to give themselves fat pensions. It is the same story in every leftist "paradise" like Venezuela, Brazil, North Korea, China, or domestically California, New York, Conneticut. The only people ever uplifted by leftists are the party bosses and their cronies. They think the people should serve the govt. I know a couple people with mustaches last century that had that same philosophy.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:30 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Someone who changes their views due to money is a hypocrite.
Amen. That's what most people who switch from Democrat/liberal to Republican/conservative do, though: Sell out once they start making money. MULTIPLE stories in this thread have already done a great job of illustrating that, including the OP's.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:16 AM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No the topic of this thread is how to cure young, naive, and indoctrinated at college people of leftism.
I would disagree with that. The topic of this thread is how gaining real-life experience changes the views of naive young people. Left versus right isn't the issue; there are naive young people on both sides, all too smugly confident that they have the answers to all of society's intractable problems. Real life has a way of teaching them otherwise.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The topic of this thread is how gaining real-life experience changes the views of naive young people.
Yes they go from being the parasite to being the host and find that a lot less fun.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yes they go from being the parasite to being the host and find that a lot less fun.
Someone sounds bitter AF. I enjoy being a productive member of society one that does help provide for those less fortunate(might be whom you’ve labeled a parasite) at an increased cost of those more fortunate(your host?)

Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Someone sounds bitter AF. I enjoy being a productive member of society one that does help provide for those less fortunate(might be whom you’ve labeled a parasite) at an increased cost of those more fortunate(your host?)
Providing a safety net is one thing, providing pensions worth several million each to govt workers while struggling to fund your own IRA/401k while getting 5 figure property tax bills is another. As I said, leftists help themselves and their cronies at the expense of "the working people."

Old 12-13-2019, 10:11 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Just a couple of random thoughts....

The 200 grand in NYC will get her through. In the high end legal world there are certain expectations---you either wish to run with the big dogs, or you never advance and certainly don't make partner. Working 80 or 90 hours a week, seven days, costs a lot in terms of meals out, transportation, clothing, paying for everything because you have no time to do things yourself. Not crying for her or anyone, just pointing it out. You use the money to effectively buy time.

Yes, everyone wants to be on the gubmernt dole until it comes time to pay for it all. The high earners pay more, be definition, but they still lead lives which are WAY in excess of what the mere mortals pay. I don't believe most people have any comprehension of what the real high earners make.....easily 6 figures a week....multiple seven figures a year. Collectively one percent earn more than ALL of the rest of us.

And yet, who pays the bills for our nation? Proportionality, you and me. There are just too many "excuses" for the wealthy to avoid paying taxes. They make the rules, of course they make them in their favor. The poor slob who drags down a couple hundred grand a year pays out the nose.....just as the people earning 50 grand a year do as well.

Left to the Republicans, we would forgo the services which provide basic support to the masses. Of course they don't want a national health care system; they own the health care companies who rake in billions from our premiums. Of course they want massive military spending; they own the companies which make the missiles. Of course they want lotteries and other schemes which suck the life out of the poor; they own the companies which make the tickets and monitor the drawings. And on and on it goes.

We pay; they enjoy a very fine lifestyle. 200 grand ain't nothing. Well, yes, the paycheck deductions, compared to the really wealthy, are huge. Welcome to the real world young lady.
Proportionality doesnt pay the bills, dollars do. So you make $50,000 a year and have to pay $6000 in taxes, someone who is making $3 million a year maybe only pays 5% in taxes, more than you pay, but in actual dollars, he's paying

Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Just a couple of random thoughts....

The 200 grand in NYC will get her through. In the high end legal world there are certain expectations---you either wish to run with the big dogs, or you never advance and certainly don't make partner. Working 80 or 90 hours a week, seven days, costs a lot in terms of meals out, transportation, clothing, paying for everything because you have no time to do things yourself. Not crying for her or anyone, just pointing it out. You use the money to effectively buy time.

Yes, everyone wants to be on the gubmernt dole until it comes time to pay for it all. The high earners pay more, be definition, but they still lead lives which are WAY in excess of what the mere mortals pay. I don't believe most people have any comprehension of what the real high earners make.....easily 6 figures a week....multiple seven figures a year. Collectively one percent earn more than ALL of the rest of us.

And yet, who pays the bills for our nation? Proportionality, you and me. There are just too many "excuses" for the wealthy to avoid paying taxes. They make the rules, of course they make them in their favor. The poor slob who drags down a couple hundred grand a year pays out the nose.....just as the people earning 50 grand a year do as well.

Left to the Republicans, we would forgo the services which provide basic support to the masses. Of course they don't want a national health care system; they own the health care companies who rake in billions from our premiums. Of course they want massive military spending; they own the companies which make the missiles. Of course they want lotteries and other schemes which suck the life out of the poor; they own the companies which make the tickets and monitor the drawings. And on and on it goes.

We pay; they enjoy a very fine lifestyle. 200 grand ain't nothing. Well, yes, the paycheck deductions, compared to the really wealthy, are huge. Welcome to the real world young lady.
Proportionality doesnt pay the bills, dollars do. Warren Buffet said several years ago, that his rate was probably less than his secretary pays. However, Buffet paid $1.8 million in taxes that same year. The facts of who pays the most taxes might surprise you:

https://www.ntu.org/foundation/tax-p...s-income-taxes

Old 12-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Providing a safety net is one thing, providing pensions worth several million each to govt workers while struggling to fund your own IRA/401k while getting 5 figure property tax bills is another.
Could you please explain your govt pension calculation for me? Maybe include your current tax burden too

Quote:
As I said, leftists help themselves and their cronies at the expense of "the working people."
Maybe you could be taken a bit more seriously if you dropped this nonsense. Conservatives do this same exact thing. In understanding the reality you would see that it’s not a political affiliation that would drives this rather more selfish human nature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics