Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 11:25 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Let's put it this way...I rather spend 30 bucks on something I want to spend it on.
Our family income has nothing to do with it.
I’m a very proud tightwad (who tips 25% when I eat out) I wouldn’t have spent that $30 either.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:36 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Do you mean that you owe the IRS $29, or that you are owed a refund of $29 to you from the IRS?

Are you under the mistaken impression that you don't have to file, if you don't owe more than was withheld from you? You DO have to file, and should, even if you aren't owed anything. There are no penalties if you don't owe anything, but it's still a very good idea to obey the law and file. And you might be surprised. If you use TurboTax, it might tell you that you are owed more than you think you are, because of deductions you were unaware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 11,901 times
Just another vote for freetaxusa.com. Second year in a row I've used them. Federal filing is free. State tax filing has a fee. Their whole process is the most user-friendly and streamlined I've found. Very easy, and very good explanations for parts I didn't understand. Can't recommend them enough. And this year was even easier because they saved my info from last year, so most everything was already filled out. Just plug in the numbers and go. (You can override this if you're not comfortable with them saving your info, I believe.) My info was already compromised in the Equifax fiasco, so I am already paying for identity and credit protection for the rest of my life, lol. Might as well let them make my life easier.

And as an aside, anyone judging you for not wanting to spend $30 you don't HAVE to spend, probably doesn't have good financial sense. Good for you for investing in yourself enough to make a decent income, and then not taking that income for granted. Too many people do. Ignore the thirty-thousandaires and hold on to your $$ where you can.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m a very proud tightwad (who tips 25% when I eat out) I wouldn’t have spent that $30 either.
Me too. I'm a very generous tipper.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Do you mean that you owe the IRS $29, or that you are owed a refund of $29 to you from the IRS?

Are you under the mistaken impression that you don't have to file, if you don't owe more than was withheld from you? You DO have to file, and should, even if you aren't owed anything. There are no penalties if you don't owe anything, but it's still a very good idea to obey the law and file. And you might be surprised. If you use TurboTax, it might tell you that you are owed more than you think you are, because of deductions you were unaware of.
We underpaid by 29 bucks this year
And to file our taxes with Turbotax they wanted 30 dollars to do so.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I can empathize with the OP. I just transferred an HSA to Fidelity. The old custodian wanted to charge me $35 to do the transfer electronically. I was like no way, send me the check and I'll submit it to Fidelity as a roll over. No sense in paying for something that's easy enough to do.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsizegirl View Post

And as an aside, anyone judging you for not wanting to spend $30 you don't HAVE to spend, probably doesn't have good financial sense. Good for you for investing in yourself enough to make a decent income, and then not taking that income for granted. Too many people do. Ignore the thirty-thousandaires and hold on to your $$ where you can.
Thank You,
We have gone from nothing to make a decent living. It took us way longer than it should have to get our finances in order and we still make mistakes.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:41 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
HR Block online
free federal
free state

online filing
takes about 15 minutes doing it online
easy peasy

They all have income quota for free filing. I checked. Literally, no one over $60K gets it for free.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

Old 02-02-2020, 03:41 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Go to the public library or the US Post Office. They have all the forms you need (the Post Office will have great stacks of them; at the library you'll need to make Xerox copies). Fill out the form. Put it in an envelope. Mail it to the IRS office indicated in the instructions.

Is this really so difficult?

Old 02-02-2020, 03:44 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Yeah, but you have to mail certified, just to be sure, and it will cost around $7 or so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics