Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 10:06 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
........I support a society that makes it easier for people to achieve there potential.........

Unfortunately, the majority of people, their full potential consists of sitting on their backside and watching the telly. Or if they are a more lively person, perhaps playing video games.

If you free the people up from worry about how to pay for their shelter and food, you are not going to get wonderful symphonies written or great works of literature. You are going to get a population lying around, using drugs and cigarettes and eating junk food. And whining; the more they get for free, the more people seem to whine.

People with great potential to be achieved, they figure out how to do it, regardless of life circumstance. Their potential isn't suppressed until all of their life needs are given to them for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 11:36 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
If the United States can spend billions(if not trillions) overseas in pointless wars and on corporate bailouts, we can hand out $1000-$2000/month--which is a fair amount--to lower-income individuals.
FAIR?!?
Fair is a word used most appropriately for games... and by children.

And how come 'lower income' almost always includes the one who defines it?

Nothing in life is fair.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:50 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
If I get UBI of $12K a year then I will retire, I have enough in my investments to make up the difference between UBI and my expenses. I am not going to be the sucker who busts his behind at work to pay for the UBI through the taxes which will be required to pay for this, I would rather sit at home and collect it. I am sure there are a lot of people thinking along the same lines...

Old 04-14-2020, 07:36 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Unfortunately, the majority of people, their full potential consists of sitting on their backside and watching the telly. Or if they are a more lively person, perhaps playing video games.

If you free the people up from worry about how to pay for their shelter and food, you are not going to get wonderful symphonies written or great works of literature.
What a cynical outlook. Thankfully the UBI studies don't bear this out. I'm not going to outright dismiss your concerns because there will be people who do what you fear but they will be a small minority and ultimately the labor market and society as whole will be better off by having people who want to be there as opposed to people who are forced to be there.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
If I get UBI of $12K a year then I will retire, I have enough in my investments to make up the difference between UBI and my expenses. I am not going to be the sucker who busts his behind at work to pay for the UBI through the taxes which will be required to pay for this, I would rather sit at home and collect it. I am sure there are a lot of people thinking along the same lines...
Thats good getting boomers out of the labor market will be a good thing for society.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
FAIR?!?
Fair is a word used most appropriately for games... and by children.

And how come 'lower income' almost always includes the one who defines it?

Nothing in life is fair.
It should be to all citizens not just arbitrarily defined low income ones. It should be universal and non means tested. https://medium.com/basic-income/brea...e-a271a6ef6f7e

Old 04-14-2020, 08:04 AM

45 posts, read 26,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Smart move. They care for the wellbeing of their people rather than letting them struggle and starve during a pandemic. Good for you Spain!

Old 04-14-2020, 08:09 AM

45 posts, read 26,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
It should be to all citizens not just arbitrarily defined low income ones. It should be universal and non means tested. https://medium.com/basic-income/brea...e-a271a6ef6f7e
Your comments are excellent.

My thoughts are since the Unemployment recipients are already receiving an extra $2400 per month, on top of their regular benefits here, is that they should institute the same for the rest of American society. At least for the same length of time that the UI claimants get their COVID19 benefits; until the end of July at the earliest.

I do however think that anyone making $80k and above should not receive the temporary UBI; or that it should be less than $2400.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:12 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,103 times
I invite all of you to read the book "21 Lessons for the 21st Century"; specifically, the chapter which addresses the "useless society". I fear, in too many instances, we're already there; hence, the prospect of infinite UBI or unlimited welfare benefits.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCisannoying View Post
Your comments are excellent.

My thoughts are since the Unemployment recipients are already receiving an extra $2400 per month, on top of their regular benefits here, is that they should institute the same for the rest of American society. At least for the same length of time that the UI claimants get their COVID19 benefits; until the end of July at the earliest.

I do however think that anyone making $80k and above should not receive the temporary UBI; or that it should be less than $2400.
Oh certainly this crisis has illustrated the need for measures that a decade ago would have been unheard of. As for a income cutoff I will stand by my view that it should not be means tested. 80k in Scottsbluff Nebraska is very different than 80k in Manhattan NY. Not to mention by making the payments universal you cut down the cost of trying to determine who is eligible and who isn't. The only criteria should be that you are a American citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics