Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 02:22 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Now talk of back to work bonus - what about just stop paying people more to not work? Giving more to not work than work is what created this issue.
A program like this makes sense....if the goal is to get people working again. If the goal of getting people to stay at home has been completely abandoned. First one should make sense as to which goal is trying to be achieved.

If we're deemed all clear, back to work benefits that would extend longer than the unemployment benefits make a lot of sense.

If person A was making $25K a year before covid, being unemployed makes them more money than if they were working. A temporary nudge back into the workforce could give them most of the benefits of unemployment while getting them contributing to the economy again.

It also makes sense for person B, who may have been making $100K a year before covid, but whose job prospects for replacing lost income look terrible. It softens the pain in taking the same $25K job as well and restarting, getting them moving towards ground up opportunities which could lead to a whole new round of entrepreneurialism.

However, the first question needs to be whether or not we're abandoning the real purpose, which was to content people to stay at home. Whether it's resolved that we have things under control like other parts of the world, or simply waving the surrender flag and officially adopting a fit of the fittest strategy the workplace is going to be markedly different. Those temporary furloughs are going to be anything but in many cases. After all, why look for a job if you're just expecting to return to your regular role in a couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 03:10 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
A program like this makes sense....if the goal is to get people working again. If the goal of getting people to stay at home has been completely abandoned. First one should make sense as to which goal is trying to be achieved.

If we're deemed all clear, back to work benefits that would extend longer than the unemployment benefits make a lot of sense.

If person A was making $25K a year before covid, being unemployed makes them more money than if they were working. A temporary nudge back into the workforce could give them most of the benefits of unemployment while getting them contributing to the economy again.

It also makes sense for person B, who may have been making $100K a year before covid, but whose job prospects for replacing lost income look terrible. It softens the pain in taking the same $25K job as well and restarting, getting them moving towards ground up opportunities which could lead to a whole new round of entrepreneurialism.

However, the first question needs to be whether or not we're abandoning the real purpose, which was to content people to stay at home. Whether it's resolved that we have things under control like other parts of the world, or simply waving the surrender flag and officially adopting a fit of the fittest strategy the workplace is going to be markedly different. Those temporary furloughs are going to be anything but in many cases. After all, why look for a job if you're just expecting to return to your regular role in a couple of months.
No it only makes sense if you are not paying for it. It is silly to pay someone to go on unemployment and then pay again to go off. We would be just creating perturbations to the employment market - the paycheck should be the reason they go back to work.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
No it only makes sense if you are not paying for it. It is silly to pay someone to go on unemployment and then pay again to go off. We would be just creating perturbations to the employment market - the paycheck should be the reason they go back to work.
Not necessarily. Unemployment was the vehicle used to pay people to stop working, temporarily, because people were getting sick. It wasn't business as usual. Now as the economy sets up to reopen again, some of those people are finding out those jobs they left are now gone. So you are going to have a much larger group of people scrambling to find new jobs than we've had in recent history.

In the upcoming game of musical chairs, I'd agree that those that find employment basically at the same level they had it this time last year don't need additional payments. However, there's going to be quite a few forced restarts. People that were professional level x's and y's and they just can't get the same type of work again. At some point, there's a bitter jagged pill to swallow and they need to start over, sometimes quite a bit lower than where they were. Some temporary assistance might give them the support they need to go ahead and get started.

Currently all of my projects are delayed, and I know many others are furloughed. I have nothing to do except hunt for more work and it's bleak out there at the moment. The most solid project is expected to restart in October. My unemployment will run until then. Now, I'd love to go take a small job for the rest of summer/fall in something very different. Working in a greenhouse nursery is really appealing to me, for example. However, if that entry level job pays $15/hour, then at full time I'd be at $1200 every 2 weeks. My unemployment is $2100 for every two weeks. Why would I make that trade? Even if the state kept their true unemployment piece and the Feds continued with the $600, that still puts me at $2400 working vs $2100 watching Netflix. I'd make that trade though. I pick up some new skills and who knows what can happen from the starting points. Given the subsequent net, it would be kindof fun to start at the bottom again in something new. It's just the loss I have a hard time swallowing.

If the government wants people back to work quickly, I think this helps them accomplish this faster. If it doesn't really care, or realistically wants the biological situation to have more time before pushing people back into the workforce, then they shouldn't do it....yet.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Will a back to work bonus get those getting used to that extra $600 a week bonus off of the government dole along with help getting the economy back?
Unemployment claims were so backed up, (Cause State agencies were furloughed too) most never saw there first unemployment check before going back to work, let alone that "Extra" $600.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:11 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
looks like another round of stimulus coming for everyone. Probably be a month before it happens. Dems will support Trump's plan, who votes against giving voters money in an election year?

Old 07-06-2020, 12:26 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
There are a lot of jobs that aren't needed. You don't need as many people in the medical offices if the doctor's appointment is done electronically from the home. Most people can take their temperature, weigh themselves, and measure their blood pressure and blood sugar without the need of a medical assistant. The doctor's appointment will only require 5-10 minutes to review the data, ask questions, and provide consultation. The next step is to set up an intelligent questionnaire so that the customer can fill it out so that those three steps can be condensed.

The fits and starts to reopening could last into next year. People will get laid off when their offices or stores have to close to observe restrictions or for quarantining of employees.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Unemployment claims were so backed up, (Cause State agencies were furloughed too) most never saw there first unemployment check before going back to work, let alone that "Extra" $600.

That was mostly in the blue states who are supposed to have such great social services.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:25 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Help signs everywhere, businesses are closing by me because they can't get enough J-1 visa workers. The CV has changed the work environment for good in many cases. Lots of job will become home based in the future.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:32 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That was mostly in the blue states who are supposed to have such great social services.
[Citation needed]

Old 07-07-2020, 03:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
[Citation needed]

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/04/28/...ferent-speeds/

There's a graph on that page from late April of the ten states with most claims. Florida wins the grand prize easily and there are some red states like Georgia up there but most look blue to me. Point is, blue states brag on their social support systems over red states, you'd think they would be clearly handling this the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics