Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 05:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
In the case of the US it is just showing the underlying conditions that will cause US Recession -> Depression -> Fail.

+ Compounding Debt + Refusal to Tax Corporations and Imports.
+ Overspending on Military -- and going more so every year.
+ Price Gouging US on Medical + Refusal to go to Medicare for All.
+ Sticking with outdated technology (Oil and ICEs)
+ Do not support actual education

If we moved past these and instead -- Taxed Corporations and Imports, cut the US Military, set US up with M4A, Moved our technology up to 2020, and educated the kids . . . .

We would sail to the top. But we will not until the [Boomer/Reaganomics/Neo-Liberal/Hayek] Die-off.

This last 40 years of Stupid + Greed has really taken US down.

Covid-19 is not the real problem. It is just making it show through.
You left out-savings,aka personal /household savings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 05:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
So far, we've been propped up by government spending. That's mostly ending and we'll see where the cards fall.
who said it is ending?
it is a matter of 1,2 or 3 trillions

Old 08-08-2020, 08:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Call me crazy, but considering the stuff I see around me and comparing it to what I'm being told by the news, I am starting to think it is by design. I dunno.
I concur. the plandemic is brought you to by the elite, to make you dependent on govt handouts. the more reliant we are on big govt, the more control they have over us and the more freedoms they will take from us.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:29 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I would argue some of those points, deficit spending has been a feature of the economy since the beginning of time (with a few exceptions) and interest rates were on an upwards trend basically from 2015 until the virus. Yield curve invert was the doom and gloom recession prediction indicator from early 2019, yeah I remember it (and then it was "the sky is falling") - and it puffed out into nothing. It went away. Yeah nice try. The current one is from the virus impact.
Uhh no they tried raising interesting rates at the end of 2018 and the markets crashed around Christmas time as a result. Then they came out and said we won’t raise interest rates in 2019. The market bought that lie back in 2011 that interest rates would go back up and people went out of gold and back to the dollar.

Now gold is at an all time high and no one is naive this time to believe interest rates will ever go back up to normal levels. We are permanently at these low interest rates.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:35 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
deficit spending being a "feature" of the economy doesn't mean that it's healthy.
it just means borrowing from the future to pay for today's lavish lifestyle, which equates to a false illusion of wealth. exactly like the poor person maxing out credit cards to buy luxury goods while making minimum monthly payments. every thinks he's rich, but in actuality it's a facade of wealth.

your statement on interest rates rising is a lie and just plain wrong.
https://www.macrotrends.net/2015/fed...storical-chart
starting in 2/19, we stair stepped down from 2.5 to 1.5 on 12/19 (pre-covid) because the fed knew what was happening behind the curtains.

yield curve predicted exactly what we have today, a recession. because covid came along and exacerbated the situation does not mean it was wrong.
Thank you I knew that other post was flat out wrong about interest rates. There was no way in hell even before the virus the feds would be able to normalize interest rates. We didn’t really take our medicine and deal with the real pain during the Great Recession of 08-09 and instead we kicked the can down the road by inflating asset prices artificially and creating a huge credit bubble.

If it wasn’t the virus that pricked this bubble it would have been something else.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:40 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What a bs article. There was nothing natural progression into a recession or this upcoming “depression”. . There as no market downturn because people decided to stop shopping, investing or spending. Or some financial calamity to cause a downturn. The only reason this economy came to a slam halt stop was because governments decided to do a mass quarantine and shut down the economy. Otherwise people wouldn’t care. They would be shopping visiting etc. The ones who are worried....stay home and quarantine if you want. Businesses should be allowed to be open and of a person chooses to go in and shop...go in and shop. Nine of this only essential business. If a employee chooses not to come to work fine they don’t get paid or they can use up vacation or sick leave.
I made a choice to go to work, shop when I need to and keep my wife mostly at home. But that’s a choice we made.

Jesus Christ we had the Hong Kong flu in 1969. 80,000 people died in that pandemic. And they didn’t shut down the country.
You're wrong. The recession started before states were shut down.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Uhh no they tried raising interesting rates at the end of 2018 and the markets crashed around Christmas time as a result. Then they came out and said we won’t raise interest rates in 2019. The market bought that lie back in 2011 that interest rates would go back up and people went out of gold and back to the dollar.

Now gold is at an all time high and no one is naive this time to believe interest rates will ever go back up to normal levels. We are permanently at these low interest rates.
Yes market reacts strongly to interest rate changes and gold usually has an inverse relationship to market performance. We all know this.
I am unclear what exactly you are trying to argue and what about my post was "uhhh no". Be more specific

Old 08-09-2020, 02:17 PM

9 posts, read 6,221 times
I'm seeing the effects in Dallas in the last two weeks since the federal benefits have run out.

Three weeks ago I was selling stuff on Facebook's marketplace like nothing ever happened. Since the federal benefits have run out I've seen very little activity in the same social media groups and two estate sales, three moving vans, plus a fire in a neighborhood that rarely sees people come and go (area with average household income around 110k and average house value around 375k to 400k).

Maybe the fire is coincidental... but maybe not?

Dallas and Houston didn't suffer much in 2008 because oil/gas prices were high. Getting some payback this time because the crash is not just the virus impact on office workers but also the oil/gas price crash along with it, affecting both here and Houston.

Personally I'm leaving. The secondary fallout is due to the lack of any state tax structure to speak of, property taxes are very high, and the suburb I live in now is highly reliant on retail for its business tax base. If the malls and what not were struggling before, I think the virus is going to go ahead and push them over the cliff, then someone is gonna be left holding the bag on the school's insatiable appetite for more money. Not looking to be the one holding the bag.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes market reacts strongly to interest rate changes and gold usually has an inverse relationship to market performance. We all know this.
I am unclear what exactly you are trying to argue and what about my post was "uhhh no". Be more specific
he was calling you out for saying that interest rates were rising when in fact they were falling over a year before covid hit us here in the US.

recall our conversation in this thread.
I stated multiple indicators pointing to an unhealthy economy prior to covid. you disagreed and said we had a great economy. the "woke" folks clearly saw through the lies that the gov and MSM were feeding us, several of them present in this thread alone.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57964574-post15.html

Old 08-09-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Thank you I knew that other post was flat out wrong about interest rates. There was no way in hell even before the virus the feds would be able to normalize interest rates. We didn’t really take our medicine and deal with the real pain during the Great Recession of 08-09 and instead we kicked the can down the road by inflating asset prices artificially and creating a huge credit bubble.

If it wasn’t the virus that pricked this bubble it would have been something else.
I wholeheartedly think they took advantage of the virus in order to drop interest rates to zero and print money to create inflation.

they get to inflate away the debt, while making the populace dependent on govt handouts in one fell swoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics