Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 03:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Deserves?
Free money?

Hmmm
Well they are doing it anyways. They have in the past for the banks. They gave the banks more than ever will be intended for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 04:47 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The $1200 I just received is not quite enough for me to retire just yet. Looks like I still have to work at least another decade or two.

In fact is not enough for me to even change my spending habits all that much. I still will eat the way I do, and for the most part, I eat swell.

Most everything I enjoyed doing I did before the pandemic at my income level. What I want to do though is going to cost much more than $1200.
The $1200 has nothing to do with unemployment insurance so why post.

I don't think it is even a question that some that are receiving more in UI than they made working are going to try to stay on UI benefits.

Just FYI - the $1200 you got is $1200 more than I have received even though I am retired.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:00 PM

67 posts, read 25,778 times
I think Tim pool made a comment about the extra unemployment and people not wanting to go back to work as proof people wouldn’t work however he neglected two important things 1) someone like yang who is a proponent of ubi has at only 1k, nothing like the unemployment benefits were, like a normal adult couldn’t survive on this 2) we are living in a weird time wuth the rona going around..

Me personally , hmm my college age self prob wouldn’t work , hell I didn’t work through college since used GI Bill bennies and tuition reimbursement from guards..my non college age yeah I’d wanna work cause 1)1k Month not a lot 2) Honestly be pretty ****ing bored and would want to be doing something

Old 09-16-2020, 06:31 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
I know several people who were making about $1,000-1,500/month LESS on unemployment, with the extra $600/wk, and still didn't want to go back to work until the money ran out.

They all said the same thing, working full time for $1,000/month isn't worth it.

People adapt fast, realize they can survive off less, and like having all the free time.

The generous unemployment definitely caused a lot of people to refuse to work.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:16 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I know several people who were making about $1,000-1,500/month LESS on unemployment, with the extra $600/wk, and still didn't want to go back to work until the money ran out.

They all said the same thing, working full time for $1,000/month isn't worth it.

People adapt fast, realize they can survive off less, and like having all the free time.

Statement does not make sense.

Total federal money alone was $600 x 4 ='s $2400 *PER MONTH*

Piled onto that would have been any state UI ranging from $100 to bit over $500; thus no one was getting just $1000 per month on UI/PUA or whatever.

All this being said things largely break down along what was household income prior to covid-19, and of course human nature.

Minimum wage households, and or others not doing well economically obviously got more money between UI and $600 per week than being employed. Since nearly all states cap UI benefits (some at at astonishingly low rate), high earning persons even with $600 week extra barely broke even, and or often saw reduction in monthly household income.

Then you have to factor in all the boys and girls in plastic bubbles who are so scared out of their skins about covid-19 that paying them over a grand per week to stay home was just the ticket. They see covid-19 around every corner and fear leaving their homes for any reason unless absolutely necessary.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/86190...s-a-cut-in-pay

Old 09-16-2020, 07:27 PM

67 posts, read 25,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post

With the amount it was definitely, I don’t think anyone whose wants ubi (well mainly yang) would have that high though , not necessarily against or for it , just pointing out differ

Old 09-16-2020, 07:37 PM

50,309 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Those 1/4 of us need another round. And the ones who took it and didn't need it should be paying it back.
We get hosed for taxes and this is just a small token to get some of it back. We paid 33 grand in taxes last year total. I'm keeping this pittance thank you very much. No one is keeping you from job searching for something better.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

I think what that person meant is that they knew people who don’t want to work full time for the extra $1000 of differential. You could sit home and get x or work full time for y. But if y is only $1000 more than x, then people can cut cost and enjoy the time off.

It’s not just low wage earners that didn’t want to work because of this. If you’re in the sweet spot range, it might even be better to take in less money...but not actually have to work. Quality of life and stress are better and they may have only been giving up a few hundred bucks or say $1,000.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Piled onto that would have been any state UI ranging from $100 to bit over $500; thus no one was getting just $1000 per month on UI/PUA or whatever.

All this being said things largely break down along what was household income prior to covid-19, and of course human nature.

Minimum wage households, and or others not doing well economically obviously got more money between UI and $600 per week than being employed. Since nearly all states cap UI benefits (some at at astonishingly low rate), high earning persons even with $600 week extra barely broke even, and or often saw reduction in monthly household income.

Then you have to factor in all the boys and girls in plastic bubbles who are so scared out of their skins about covid-19 that paying them over a grand per week to stay home was just the ticket. They see covid-19 around every corner and fear leaving their homes for any reason unless absolutely necessary.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/86190...s-a-cut-in-pay
You aren't understanding what I said.

The amount they were getting on unemployment, was LESS than their normal paychecks.

ie they could have went back to work, made about $1,000 more per month, but didn't.

"They all said the same thing, working full time for $1,000/month isn't worth it." as in they would make $1,000 more per month than they are making on unemployment and it wasn't worth it.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I think what that person meant is that they knew people who don’t want to work full time for the extra $1000 of differential. You could sit home and get x or work full time for y. But if y is only $1000 more than x, then people can cut cost and enjoy the time off.

It’s not just low wage earners that didn’t want to work because of this. If you’re in the sweet spot range, it might even be better to take in less money...but not actually have to work. Quality of life and stress are better and they may have only been giving up a few hundred bucks or say $1,000.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics