Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2021, 12:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So then the meat packing plants would shut down for lack of workers?

A stupid wall will not do anything. Prosecute the employers if you want to do something about illegals. As I've said many times on this subject - look at how Russia handles it. Try to get a job in Russia as a foreigner. See what happens to both you, and the business that employs you.
It’s my understanding however that Russia is pretty generous with work visas for citizens of formerly Soviet areas and that they get a lot of relatively low cost legal labor that way from the Stans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 03:05 AM

536 posts, read 611,394 times
The American work ethic is not dying, some people seem to be getting tired of working for peanuts. Inflation increases have greatly outpaced wage increases so people have to work more to get less to try and pay for the increasing costs of rent, food, transport, etc. Social mobility rankings are quite low in the US, 2nd lowest only to the UK in the developed world. I don't blame people if they get exhausted from working 40 hours a week and barely have anything left over, if at all, at the end of the month.

Plus, isn't the US the only developed nation without a nationally mandated paid vacation and sick leave? Like, some employers actually don't (have to) offer those things? (regardless of what the job is, it should be offered, but isn't always as far as I understand. Do correct me if I am wrong). Even a basic 40 hour/week job should include basic medical (even if it is the most basic available), some paid vacation and sick leave (at least 2 weeks/year?) and some kind of contribution to a retirement fund + more progressive stances on paid maternity and paternity leave.

Workers are not less efficient and working less hard. They are tired and drained (financially, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, etc.). Give more paid time off, better benefits, a happy, well-rested employee is a better employee.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
People don't want to risk getting deathly sick or even dying when we are not close to herd immunity, a condition that a resistant portion of the population may prolong.

People are also realizing how little that lower-wage employees that are public-facing or otherwise work in close quarters were under-appreciated during this pandemic by both consumers and employers.

I would surmise that it's not that people don't want to work; it's that they want to get paid a worthwhile living wage.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:53 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
People don't want to risk getting deathly sick or even dying when we are not close to herd immunity, a condition that a resistant portion of the population may prolong.

People are also realizing how little that lower-wage employees that are public-facing or otherwise work in close quarters were under-appreciated during this pandemic by both consumers and employers.

I would surmise that it's not that people don't want to work; it's that they want to get paid a worthwhile living wage.
Yeah. I mean do I want to go work in retail with a split shift and no more than 32 hours a week so the employer doesn't need to pay benefits. Hell no. If I were a retail worker, I would be taking advantage of being paid to not work and learning how to do something that paid better and had better working conditions as well. There's a lot of labor shortages in skilled labor that need filling and way too many unskilled laborers which is why the pay and conditions suck. Right now you have a temporary unskilled labor shortage as people are being paid more to not work than they were for working. That won't last though.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:24 AM

261 posts, read 189,697 times
When it is as worth reporting to work for the 99% as it is the 1% who own most of the money in the USA will you see the work ethic of the 99% begin to improve.

Investment wise, in the early 1950's standard Bank passbook savings was 6% and look at it now. If you put $1000 dollars in the bank and draw it all out at the end of a year, the interest won't even pay the tax on the purchase you are making.

Quote:
According to a June 2017 report by the Boston Consulting Group, around 70% of the nation's wealth will be in the hands of millionaires and billionaires by 2021.
(from Google)

If the Covid Pandemic has taught the little guys nothing, it has given them a chance to figure work arounds to being wage slaves. Today many are going online and registering to be an "Ordained Clergyperson". They then set up a 15 501 C3 Corporation. If they collect rent for Landlords, they write that up as a donation to their Church. Later money is withdrawn from their general fund and they take a % for their service and give (in cash) the rest to the Landlord thus laundering the renters money so the Landlord and Clergyperson can live tax free. (just an example) But they may be mowing lawns for a living and laundering the money like this or whatever. But have you noticed the work ethic some of these people have ????

Well, like I said....when it's worth reporting to work the motivation will follow. For prosperous Business people we call it Capitalism. For the little guys & girls it's called lack of work ethic. But I would imagine the Millionaires & Billionaires use their Lawyers & Accountants to the same ends to have unethical advantages.

Last edited by Jewel City Joe; 05-20-2021 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-20-2021, 09:58 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
15 years ago Americans stood #28 of productive workers. You guys think you're the top, but that was a long long time ago.
lol,
that is the number one problem with our country. every one has this rose colored glasses view on history.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:13 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,800 times
In my industry, the people who are quitting are generally citing the same problem-- they're tired. They are physically and emotionally spent. I am too, but, I live alone and I don't have a spouse or an inheritance for income. Therefore I keep working.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:06 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol,
that is the number one problem with our country. every one has this rose colored glasses view on history.
US productivity ranked by various sources runs between 5 and 9 worldwide.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:15 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol,
World war 2 will always skew peoples impression.

We were the only unwrecked power on earth, so competition was low. As ohiopeasent has pointed out here recently, our partial descent down and rising of those around us is only natural. It’s a return to normal.

In addition to that, it was a unique time in history where America (already the worlds largest economy) was able to get peaceful transition of one of the greatest empires in history to it which also had the same language.

Every post ww2 body from the imf, to the world bank, to the UN was set up by America with American veto power. Then of course most importantly the place of the USD in bretton woods, and later the dollar standard after 1971. It was deployed as leader of the free world to fight the soviets. We of course then won the spending war, which should be shocking to no one, and it became a unipolar world.

Through operation paper clip, the United States took the knowledge base of the top nazi scientists. We also took the scientific and industrial secrets of the entire British empire with the Tizard mission (known as the most valuable cargo to ever reach the American shore). These led to untold value to push the scientific and economic lead even further. The truth is, the mission to the moon was aided more by Nazi germany than it was a bunch of grand old American kids learning in school because Kennedy said so.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:18 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
The American work ethic is not dying, some people seem to be getting tired of working for peanuts.
Yes, even some CEOs are beginning to speak out publicly about this. There is a limit to the amount of abuse people will take, and then they'll start revolting in one way or another.

I expect the problems of employing people at low wages, especially in the restaurant business, will be difficult going forward. It's not just the government stimulus checks at work here. A lot of people were removed from their daily grind, which gave them time to think and look for other work. How many of them have already found another job with benefits, plus a better and more predictable work schedule? Sure, there are plenty who are happy to sit back and do nothing as long as the checks keep coming in. They will be the ones left for the restaurants to recruit from, as the better workers have already moved on to greener pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics