Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 03:02 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
So keep timing ..like everything you spew , just keep believing your own bull .

Not only do you believe you have the predicting power of guessing what’s next in the economy but now you have the mystical gift of timing stocks too ….in the mean time you only posted one transaction , that was bought the day I called you out as not even being an investor of any meaningful proportion
The serendipity of timing has a great deal to do with one's stock market investment success. And a reason one has to gamble a bit and stay with it over the long term. If you do 'stay on the fish' as we used to do on our local lake ensuring some success with our local fishing tournaments, I do believe it is possible to time things to some extent. I used to be with a 12 man medical group, and over time it became apparent that when the 12 were all excitingly in the markets, it was time for me to plan at least some exit. And visa versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 03:04 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,224,237 times
Quote:
Yeah I am clueless

So keep timing ..like everything you spew , just keep believing your own bull .

Not only do you believe you have the predicting power of guessing what’s next in the economy but now you have the mystical gift of timing stocks too ….in the mean time you only posted one transaction , that was bought the day I called you out as not even being an investor of any meaningful proportion and nothing else
Yes, you are. You don’t know when to buy and when to sell, you just relay on the FED to keep the markets fixed in upward position. Without the FED fix you would not know what to do. Pathetic if you ask me.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:07 PM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Yes, you are. You don’t know when to buy and when to sell, you just relay on the FED to keep the markets fixed in upward position. Without the FED fix you would not know what to do. Pathetic if you ask me.
Stop talking about things you know nothing about , which is my trading record ..because i proved my track record and if you saw it when I posted it , what to you think you are looking at …here is a hint , closed positions that were bought and sold…

In the mean time where is your post showing us how well you time things

Old 06-06-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Stop talking about things you know nothing about , which is my trading record ..because i proved my track record and if you saw it when I posted it , what to you think you are looking at …here is a hint , closed positions that were bought and sold…

In the mean time where is your post showing us how well you time things
Again, TIMING is the key to investment. Nothing else matters.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:12 PM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Again, TIMING is the key to investment. Nothing else matters.
Show us your trading record .. I posted mine…

It is likely Just as I said …you are not even a serious investor and if anything you dabble with a tiny percentage of assets and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt on even dabbling.

I don’t want to hear your comments on investing until you prove you are even a serious investor

Old 06-06-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Show us your trading record .. I posted mine…

Just as I said …you are not even a serious investor and if anything you dabble with a tiny percentage of assets and I am giving you the benefit of. The doubt on even dabbling
Timing is everything.....BUY ARKX.
Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2021, 04:55 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Risk and volatility is a set of terms that people use interchangeably when they have very clear differences. Common ones here are chance and probability. Gambling and investing. And Ponzi scheme and any system they don’t like.
Risk is the likelihood that failure will occur. The key point is end-state, where "end" is either when a person chooses to declare an end (sell the asset) or gets wiped out.

Volatility is the oscillatory nature of some process. It can be "random", sinusoidal, or anything in between... any frequency-content. We can think of volatility as the standard deviation of a process, divided by its mean. The implication is that however large the oscillations may be, they never take the value of the asset to zero (let alone negative).

The frequency-content of the oscillation (volatility) matters greatly, in relation to one's time horizon. Also important is if the oscillations are around a rising mean, a constant mean or a falling mean. If around a rising mean, then buy-and-hold works. If around a falling mean, then our only chance for success is to catch a rising portion of the wave. If around a constant mean, then long-term-play (expected value, in the statistical or measure-theoretic sense) becomes both risk-free and gain-free.

If the there is strong low-frequency content, such as a period of 10 years, then these are vary bad implications even for long-term investors. They turn volatility into risk. An example is the "lost decade" for stocks, 2000-2009. Or even more glaringly, 1968-1982. If there is only high-frequency content, then even if the magnitude is large, long-term investors are OK. This is evidently the premise behind "hodling" of Bitcoin... assuming of course that the concept is not inherently fallacious (that would be risk, not volatility).

Most famously, too short of a holding-period for an index fund of stocks, turns volatility into risk. But with a rising mean, the long-term risk is zero... short of apocalypse or the sun going supernova or something like that.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:51 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Risk is the likelihood that failure will occur. The key point is end-state, where "end" is either when a person chooses to declare an end (sell the asset) or gets wiped out.
Similar to what you describe above, one fiduciary I know says, "The first rule of running a marathon is that when you cross the finish line, STOP RUNNING."

To his very affluent and even legitimately wealthy clients (north or $100 million), he counsels repeats to them over and over that they ran a marathon, and they've crossed the finish line, so they should stop running. That is, he cautions his clients not to take any risk they don't need to take once they are wealthy.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:02 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Timing is everything.....BUY ARKX.
Good Luck!
Dear God.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:50 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Most people would quickly go through that amount of money. A second home, a few nice cars, vacations... gone in probably 2-3 years.
I heard that's what frequently happens with lottery winners. One yoyo spent it on cocaine and hookers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics