Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 05:47 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
So it's fine for you to post your opinion/knowledge without support but you demand others support their opinion knowledge for you, even when they provide you with the link for the source where that opinion/knowledge comes from. Must be nice to be you.
But it was from his education and experience of reading an online article with no reference of how the data was collected or estimated.

Net worth typically comes from polling/surveys and can have some decent variation, intentional and unintentional. A high percentage of people wouldnt accurately know their net worth if asked.

Seemingly though the cowboy is questioning something that really has little relevance though especially in relation to a million bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 06:01 PM

16,430 posts, read 8,242,983 times
I think a lot of people here like to act like they have so much money that a million bucks isn’t a big deal to them. It’s easy to be someone you’re not on an anonymous forum but I’m always surprised by the amount of millionaires who post so much on citydata

Last edited by msRB311; 07-07-2022 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 06:33 PM

1,655 posts, read 776,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think a lot of people here like to act like they have so much money that a million bucks isn’t a big deal to them. It’s easy to be someone you’re not on and anonymous forum but I’m always surprised by the amount of millionaires who post so much on citydata
One thing of note is that this is an online economics subforum…those engaging in economic discussions on here are probably more likely to be well off than the average American who wouldn’t even seek out a place like this. 8% of people might be millionaires in the general population but among active posters in this specific subforum it might be something like 20%. If a person comes on here saying they have a million bucks they’ll get a lot of “so what?” comments.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:47 PM

16,430 posts, read 8,242,983 times
But isn’t it ignorant to say so what to getting a million bucks for nothing ? I still am not so sure there are many serious economics on this forum. I think many people come here expecting to see conversations about the world economy, the US economy. Times are turbulent right now, I’m curious as to what others thing is happening with the economy and what might happen. No one has a crystal ball… but it feels kind of negative to hear many people say that a million dollars is not a big deal to them. Even a billionaire should be able to make good use of a million dollars even if it means donating it to someone else.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:38 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
So it's fine for you to post your opinion/knowledge without support but you demand others support their opinion knowledge for you, even when they provide you with the link for the source where that opinion/knowledge comes from.
You already referenced a link, as you (and several posters) clarified. That said, I asked the name of the source (as I doubted its accuracy); but rather than simply give me a quick response (or ignore my question), there were multiple smarmy comments (which required twice the time/effort). It (obviously) makes me doubt it (even) more so, and I’ve lost interest in the nonsense anyway. Enjoy!

Old 07-07-2022, 07:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people here like to act like they have so much money that a million bucks isn’t a big deal to them. It’s easy to be someone you’re not on an anonymous forum but I’m always surprised by the amount of millionaires who post so much on citydata
As others note, the forum topic skews in favor of people with some wealth, and I think that the demographics of C-D skew older than the general population as well.

If it makes you feel any better, I am not a millionaire, and I would be thrilled to have a million dollars drop into my lap. However, I also recognize that while it is a considerable amount of money, it is not enough for me to simply drop everything, retire, and fly first class everywhere.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:04 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,785,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You already referenced a link, as you (and several posters) clarified. That said, I asked the name of the source (as I doubted its accuracy); but rather than simply give me a quick response (or ignore my question), there were multiple smarmy comments (which required twice the time/effort). It (obviously) makes me doubt it (even) more so, and I’ve lost interest in the nonsense anyway. Enjoy!
And it would have taken you less effort to click on the link than it did to post a response questioning the information.

Maybe next time you’ll realize that.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:08 PM

35 posts, read 24,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
LOL, evidently, you'd be surprised. For some, $1 mil isn't a lot. Besides, once you discover time is more valuable than money, it helps put things in perspective. It doesn't make a bit of difference when you die, if you have 30 cents, or 30 billion. Not one bit.
How much money is involved in raising 1 child to legal age?

Old 07-08-2022, 09:10 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
........ I think many people come here expecting to see conversations about the world economy, the US economy. Times are turbulent right now, I’m curious as to what others thing is happening with the economy and what might happen. .......

I think you are correct that many people are here mostly because they try to follow what is happening to the economy both locally and globally. (and also using more reliable sources, in addition)

But I also think that people who are curious about the local and global economy are the same people who are doing their best to take care of their own money. As a result, most of the people who read and post on an economics forum are going to perhaps be better off financially than the average person.

I'd be quite surprised if I learned that a large number of the posters here are homeless or perhaps undocumented strawberry pickers. The homeless aren't spending time trying to figure out the safest place to invest. Surely, they are people who aren't concerned about the global economy. Maybe they don't even know that there is a global economy that is affecting their lives.

The topic on this forum is self-sorting the users of this forum so the majority of the readers of this economics forum are going to be a bit better off financially.

Title of this thread perhaps was posted on the right hand side (active threads around the forum) and maybe brought in people who are not regular posters on the economics forum.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:39 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Having $6.8M is a WHOLE lot different than $1M. That engages a different perspective, since at that number one can actually live at a consistently higher level longer term, and yet still have significant investment money in reserve and to grow, to ensure a better life when older/retired.
"The difference between $1 million and $10 million in wealth is meaningful, but the difference between 0 and $1 million is profound." __Scott Galloway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics