Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2021, 07:44 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
It needs to be regulated properly.

Problem is, bureaucrats don't understand complex industries and they regulate the wrong thing or do it wrong.
When say regulated "properly", that implies need more regulation or government control - that is not they way to manage a free market. The proper way to manage a free market is to dis-incentivise bad behavior, make it expensive to cheat or scam the system.

The markets are managed by the exchanges (NYSE, etc) and market participants are licensed by Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) - these are considered Self Regulating Organizations (SRO) that work to ensure compliance with their standards. The goal is to promote ethical industry practices and improve transparency within the sector - they want to make sure all play fair.

Governmental laws or mandates associated with with markets fall under the control of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The laws of the federal or state level of government will supersede any Exchange or FINRA specific regulations. Both the SROs and the SEC well understand how the markets work. They have incentives to make sure the markets are fair.

What proof do you have that the market is not fair and needs more regulation.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:58 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The abundance of these jobs though shows that a great, great many people haven't figured that out. Saying "let's just let the market work this out" is just another way of saying many of them will continue to be very poor despite often working full time. Being poor may not be the worst thing in the world and I do understand it creates an incentive of sorts. Where I draw the line is the fact that most of these jobs do not offer health insurance. In short, its possible to work yourself weary, be poor, and have no health insurance in this country. If this country were not such a wealthy country maybe there would be an excuse for this. I don't see one in such a wealthy country.
Under current regulations - employers are required to offer healthcare to full time workers (30+ hrs a week), most that earn below that level qualify for free healthcare under Medicaid. Everyone has access to ACA medical care. In short, it is next to impossible to not have access to healthcare in this country.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:06 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
When say regulated "properly", that implies need more regulation or government control - that is not they way to manage a free market. The proper way to manage a free market is to dis-incentivise bad behavior, make it expensive to cheat or scam the system.
That's exactly what I meant. Government regulation tends to skew in the direction of picking winners and losers, which is the wrong way to regulate.

I'm generally in favor of deregulation. TBH there's nothing dumber than leaving the management of complex things like markets in the hands of people who bear no consequences of any kind whatsoever from their decisions.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:03 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
The abundance of these jobs though shows that a great, great many people haven't figured that out.
You can lead a horse to water, etc.

Quote:
Where I draw the line is the fact that most of these jobs do not offer health insurance.
The problem is NOT that some jobs fail to offer health insurance.

The problem is the vast majority of jobs do indeed offer health insurance. <== read that sentence again.

In 1960, the average worker spent about 6 days of his annual compensation on health insurance. Today, that number is about 60 days -- a full 1/6 of a worker's annual compensation is spent on health insurance. The principal driver of the escalation over the past 60 years has been a disconnect between the purchaser of health care (the employer) and the consumer of health care (the employee). This has inexorably and ineluctably led to our current situation, which, most everyone agrees, is f'd up beyond repair.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:11 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

In 1960, the average worker spent about 6 days of his annual compensation on health insurance. Today, that number is about 60 days -- a full 1/6 of a worker's annual compensation is spent on health insurance. The principal driver of the escalation over the past 60 years has been a disconnect between the purchaser of health care (the employer) and the consumer of health care (the employee). This has inexorably and ineluctably led to our current situation, which, most everyone agrees, is f'd up beyond repair.
This. The more middlemen you have between the end user of a product or service, and the money that pays for that product or service, the more reckless the end user becomes in the consumption of said services. If we paid out of pocket for every single doctor's visit, flu shot, whatever, we'd have 330 million consumers saying the words "That costs too freaking much, I'm not buying it".

Insurance is supposed to be something you get to derisk catastrophic risk (e.g. you get hit by a bus and end up in the ER). It is NOT meant to cover normal healthcare maintenance like checkups. That's like having your car insurance cover your oil changes.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I imagine it would be easy for you to buy a health insurance policy and pay the premiums for anyone that you felt was deserving of such largesse.
Its not the point and not even a decent reply. We arguably have the wealthiest country in the world and we cannot even provide medical insurance to all of our working people.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:12 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Its not the point and not even a decent reply. We arguably have the wealthiest country in the world and we cannot even provide medical insurance to all of our working people.
Of course it’s the point. You are free to supply health insurance to the working people of your choosing. However, you refuse that option, and instead, expect your desires to be fulfilled using other people’s money.

Why am I not surprised. . .

Old 11-06-2021, 11:07 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Under current regulations - employers are required to offer healthcare to full time workers (30+ hrs a week), most that earn below that level qualify for free healthcare under Medicaid. Everyone has access to ACA medical care. In short, it is next to impossible to not have access to healthcare in this country.
In my state, low-income men and women with no dependents are not eligible for Medicaid. Minimum wage is $7.25/hour and many employers will not hire full-time employees. That creates an incentive for women to have children in order to qualify. Men only qualify if they are the caretaker for their children. An ineligible person who works two 30-hour/week jobs at minimum wage grosses about $22,000 per year. Even with roommates, health insurance, deductibles, and copays would takes nearly a third of their gross income, putting access to healthcare beyond their reach.

https://medicaid.ms.gov/medicaid-cov...-for-coverage/

Old 11-06-2021, 12:28 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Of course it’s the point. You are free to supply health insurance to the working people of your choosing. However, you refuse that option, and instead, expect your desires to be fulfilled using other people’s money.

Why am I not surprised. . .
But isn't that just what the business owners are doing? Refusing to supply health insurance and therefore getting the government to use OUR tax dollars to cover the gap? If I make minimum wage and pay taxes, how is it that you think I have enough money to spare to pitch in for both Medicare and Medicaid while my employer gets a free ride?

Old 11-06-2021, 01:39 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
But isn't that just what the business owners are doing? Refusing to supply health insurance and therefore getting the government to use OUR tax dollars to cover the gap? If I make minimum wage and pay taxes, how is it that you think I have enough money to spare to pitch in for both Medicare and Medicaid while my employer gets a free ride?
How do I think you have enough money? I don’t care if you have enough money. Not my problem.

What free ride do you think employers are getting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics