Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

imho trend to most populous livin in the big city wont stop. high gas will insure that dont see that magic hi tech fix comin. if france is a model for population shuffle, worst place you wana be is in a suburb when it gets rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
^^

Amen to that. There is a great movie all should view called "End of Suburbia" it was made back in 2003 but EVERYTHING they said would unfold is unfolding now. Will give you a great glimpse of whats to come.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Along the lines of this thread, California (at least So Cal) is adding car pool lanes, commuter trains, and subways. But there is not a large central business district so the mass transit doesn't make as much sense here as it does in places like NYC and Boston. That same problem carries over to carpooling. Because so many people commute an hour or more to work, the odds of finding someone to ride with who works near you and about the same hours are not real high.

However, there is a revitalization of downtown LA underway.

California is a microcosm for the rest of the country. High taxes, excessive regulations, and high cost of doing business has driven much of the manufacturing base out of the state. The state has lost much of its middle and upper class which has been replaced by unskilled immigrants, many of them illegal. Illegal immigration has contributed to massive budget deficits. It has also contributed to the housing bubble because immigrants are willing to live in households that are supported by half a dozen workers, often spanning generations in a family. The state government is a model of reckless spending. Spending is projected to be 30% more this year than just five years ago when the governor became the second ever in the nation to be recalled, largely over deficits. Yet they are proposing all kinds of tax increases and very few cuts in spending.

Without some changes in I'm afraid that California might be on the leading edge of what could be in store for the rest of the nation. However, I disagree with the article on some points. Just because spending is down in the state doesn't mean the rest of the nation will suffer the same fate. As I noted above many people and businesses that can are moving and will be spending in other states. I am moving my own manufacturing company (30+) jobs from So Cal to Idaho.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Along the lines of this thread, California (at least So Cal) is adding car pool lanes, commuter trains, and subways. But there is not a large central business district so the mass transit doesn't make as much sense here as it does in places like NYC and Boston. That same problem carries over to carpooling. Because so many people commute an hour or more to work, the odds of finding someone to ride with who works near you and about the same hours are not real high.

However, there is a revitalization of downtown LA underway.

California is a microcosm for the rest of the country. High taxes, excessive regulations, and high cost of doing business has driven much of the manufacturing base out of the state. The state has lost much of its middle and upper class which has been replaced by unskilled immigrants, many of them illegal. Illegal immigration has contributed to massive budget deficits. It has also contributed to the housing bubble because immigrants are willing to live in households that are supported by half a dozen workers, often spanning generations in a family. The state government is a model of reckless spending. Spending is projected to be 30% more this year than just five years ago when the governor became the second ever in the nation to be recalled, largely over deficits. Yet they are proposing all kinds of tax increases and very few cuts in spending.

Without some changes in I'm afraid that California might be on the leading edge of what could be in store for the rest of the nation. However, I disagree with the article on some points. Just because spending is down in the state doesn't mean the rest of the nation will suffer the same fate. As I noted above many people and businesses that can are moving and will be spending in other states. I am moving my own manufacturing company (30+) jobs from So Cal to Idaho.
When all productive industry leaves California, I wonder what will be left?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
When all productive industry leaves California, I wonder what will be left?
Good question. It's almost like the legislature is betting that enough businesses can't leave. There will be retail and service left. But lots of big companies are pulling out satellite offices. Even Hollywood (who generally support people who raise taxes) are moving production to other states or Canada.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^
I DID NOT KNOW THAT!!!! Sort of not shocked though.

I was just in NYC (I am from there originally) this past week. To argue that urban living doesn't have benefits really isn't true. To say you prefer rural living is another thing though.
Agreed. I'm finding more younger people than not are wanting to live the Urban lifestyle. As my long term GF would say. "I want to be close to culture. "

Old 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Ok,

Who's face right? Well the face of America is changing, thats who. High energy cost, stalling economy, peak oil. We are on the cusp of a shift in living and technology. Sort of like the shift to every home having a computer and the internet age. Anyway found this piece and thought I would share it with you all. Seems we all speak about this issue a LOT or issues that directly relate to it

link
Good article. I think many major metropolitan areas will indeed change. The West Coast will start to appreciate transit systems and cities designed around them/for them much sooner than later.

With the exception of the Bay Area (with SF being designed much like East Coast cities), California's urban areas have been long overdue for a decent mass transit system...they have one that is somewhat functioning, but now that gas prices are high, I think more people will use it.

I don't mind suburbia if I can get to the "heart" of the city with ease...via a bus, train, trolley, light rail, scooter...something!

I have lived in urban areas with good to decent transit systems and those without...and man, I love public transportation when its done properly. It is truly convenient.

On a side note...many suburban areas may see an increase in small business growth - community stores, local pharmacies, etc. - that are abundant in many urban areas, if they can't relocate to urban areas. This could be a trend and would re-create "mini-urban-like" areas in some suburban neighborhoods that are really far away from their metropolis hub.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 PM

^^

Great post and I agree 100%

Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Just calling a little BS on this part . ..

Quote:
. . . .

California is a microcosm for the rest of the country. High taxes, excessive regulations, and high cost of doing business . . . .
True enough on CA leading the US, but what is the seemingly mindless chant of "excessive regulation" I hear so much on here? It sounds like Rush Limbaugh nonsense. Has anyone thought this through?

It is the lack of regulation that caused the sub-prime loan run up of real estate, the lack of regulation that will have caused the pending credit card market collapse, as well as all the Enrons and most of the other financial mess in the country. These regulations that came about as wise consideration after the Last Great Depression were started to be pulled off during Reagan-moronomics and the US has been heading into debt since. It was perfected during the Contract on America and the idiot MBA-class have sunk the country for short-term profits.

Quote:
I am moving my own manufacturing company (30+) jobs from So Cal to Idaho.
Not Mexico or China?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Good question. It's almost like the legislature is betting that enough businesses can't leave. There will be retail and service left. But lots of big companies are pulling out satellite offices. Even Hollywood (who generally support people who raise taxes) are moving production to other states or Canada.
WoW, sounds like South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
It is the lack of regulation that caused the sub-prime loan run up of real estate, the lack of regulation that will have caused the pending credit card market collapse, as well as all the Enrons and most of the other financial mess in the country. These regulations that came about as wise consideration after the Last Great Depression were started to be pulled off during Reagan-moronomics and the US has been heading into debt since. It was perfected during the Contract on America and the idiot MBA-class have sunk the country for short-term profits.
pretty much sums it all up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics