Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 12:08 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,435,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
1) the us population was about 140 million during ww2.

2) compare human years lost. The average age of death from covid is in the 70s, just a tad higher than people who were killed in ww2.
Yes, the population was less in nominal terms but were also talking civilian deaths in normal society versus brutal total war with 2 empires armed to the teeth fighting for their actual survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 05:55 PM

1,655 posts, read 776,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
you had me until the crying about idiots borrowing a ton of money for worthless degrees.
I graduated HS 3 years before you and had a ton of high school friends that borrowed tons of money to go party for 4 years. My family had no money and I went to a CUNY school. I could have went to a state school but didn't want to come out owing any money at all , and I wouldn't have even owed that much. Of course a few years later these same people were crying about how much money they owed and now think Biden should wipe away their debt.
I feel like over the last few decades there was a huge push for college. And kids at 17 or 18 don’t really know anything about anything…especially with high schools not teaching financial literacy at all.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:17 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Millennial here. I'm doing fine, thank you, and I would be doing a heck of a lot better if the government stopped trying to "solve" these "problems" and stopped trying to take everything I own in the process.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Millennial here. I'm doing fine, thank you, and I would be doing a heck of a lot better if the government stopped trying to "solve" these "problems" and stopped trying to take everything I own in the process.
I feel like I did pretty good 2009-2021 but that I’m about to lose at least half of it. And there’s no safe place to turn. Gas is crazy high, cars, home repairs, building materials (I have rentals), food…stocks keep going down, interest rates up. All these things hitting at one time just keep chipping away.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:59 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I feel like I did pretty good 2009-2021 but that I’m about to lose at least half of it. And there’s no safe place to turn. Gas is crazy high, cars, home repairs, building materials (I have rentals), food…stocks keep going down, interest rates up. All these things hitting at one time just keep chipping away.
Economic totalitarian statism coming home to roost....government ruins everything it touches.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:10 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,421,774 times
Quote:
I can’t help but laugh when I hear folks who tell these dire tales of disaster. The bright future of America has often be said to be coming to an end. It hasn’t, and it won’t this time either. If you don’t need your equity investments to fund current expenditures, you’ve lost nothing so far as long as you haven’t sold. It’s a buying opportunity….I can assure you that more fortunes have been lost by selling equities than have been lost by buying, dollar cost averaging, and holding. The business cycle is called a cycle for a reason….not surprising to have “ups” (like we’ve had for the past 14 years), and it’s not surprising that we are having a “down”. The long term trend was, and still is, up. We lived through a civil war, a Great Depression, two world wars, the assassination of 4 US Presidents, the election of our 45th President—-the greatest boob ever. We got through it all. You’ll be fine.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I can’t help but laugh when I hear folks who tell these dire tales of disaster. The bright future of America has often be said to be coming to an end. It hasn’t, and it won’t this time either. If you don’t need your equity investments to fund current expenditures, you’ve lost nothing so far as long as you haven’t sold. It’s a buying opportunity….I can assure you that more fortunes have been lost by selling equities than have been lost by buying, dollar cost averaging, and holding. The business cycle is called a cycle for a reason….not surprising to have “ups” (like we’ve had for the past 14 years), and it’s not surprising that we are having a “down”. The long term trend was, and still is, up. We lived through a civil war, a Great Depression, two world wars, the assassination of 4 US Presidents, the election of our 45th President—-the greatest boob ever. We got through it all. You’ll be fine.
I don’t really doubt I’ll see good times again in my lifetime, but it still kinda sucks to be “poorer” on paper for however long it takes to get back….and who knows it could one of those times it takes 25 years to get back. With that said, I can’t complain too much because it was down times that allowed me to get my foot in the door toward any semblance of wealth.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:09 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
I don’t really doubt I’ll see good times again in my lifetime, but it still kinda sucks to be “poorer” on paper for however long it takes to get back….and who knows it could one of those times it takes 25 years to get back. With that said, I can’t complain too much because it was down times that allowed me to get my foot in the door toward any semblance of wealth.
Are you 90 years old or have stage 4 pancreatic cancer?

Old 05-19-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are you 90 years old or have stage 4 pancreatic cancer?
No — that’s why I said I *don’t* doubt I’ll see prosperous times again. The future is unpredictable though…could take 25 years to rebound and I die in 20 years while in my 50s. Who knows.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:32 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
LOL, go ahead and keep believing these made up threats so that the MICC can keep profiting off of the fear mongering.

Ukraine wouldn't be in the situation they're in if the US didn't coup their govt in 2014 and push for NATO membership.
The US is the biggest threat to peace in the world.
Notice we are constantly in wars. We are the aggressors.

I would've thought as a boomer, all that life experience would've taught you a thing or two, and you wouldn't need to be schooled by a millennial.
Nothing to laugh about - there is no fear mongering, just the reality of the world situation.

The biggest threats are those looking to expand their territory - Russia and China mainly. NATO and Nazi was just a Russian excuse to do now. As I recall Russia was the aggressor - Ukraine never even threatened them.

You seem to have a hard time keeping on topic - defense is a small but very important part of the budget and actually causes more increase in GDP than it costs so not a drag or a source of excess spending unlike such proposals as paying off college debt.

Last edited by ddeemo; 05-20-2022 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics