Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 11:57 AM

1,655 posts, read 776,757 times

Advertisements

Inflation is making cash worthless.

The stock market doesn’t seem like a safe retreat anymore.

Cars are wildly expensive and almost hard to get.

Homes…if you haven’t already bought one that ship has sailed.

Food prices are up…along with everything else.

When I think back over my life, it seems like people of my generation have been brutally clobbered.

Coming out of high school 2004+ and onward there was a huge push for everyone to go to college. I had a lot of friends take on massive debt for their education. Then the meltdown in 2008/2009 happened and these same people with degrees couldn’t even find jobs paying much over minimum wage. Fast forward less than a decade and now we are in the environment we have now.

Seems like a lot of people under 45 might be working until death. Perhaps retirement will be reserved for the top 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 12:04 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,338,417 times
I know plenty of young people that are thriving due to making good decisions and working hard, and I know several that are stuck in a rut and literally failing due to bad decisions and being lazy. Absolutely nothing has changed other than laziness has taken the lead. America is a country with endless opportunities.

A good friend of mine has a daughter that just bought a house with her fiancé. They are both 24. She's a second year nurse, and he's works as an analyst for a small business (similar to my first decent paying job out of the military and then college). They don't make a ton of money, but they've been smart with their money they have and were able to buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood.

Cry the sky is falling all you want, but those that want to make it and have the ability to do so will be just fine.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I know plenty of young people that are thriving due to making good decisions and working hard, and I know several that are stuck in a rut and literally failing due to bad decisions and being lazy. Absolutely nothing has changed other than laziness has taken the lead. America is a country with endless opportunities.

A good friend of mine has a daughter that just bought a house with her fiancé. They are both 24. She's a second year nurse, and he's works as an analyst for a small business (similar to my first decent paying job out of the military and then college). They don't make a ton of money, but they've been smart with their money they have and were able to buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood.

Cry the sky is falling all you want, but those that want to make it and have the ability to do so will be just fine.
I made it just fine so no crying from me. However, looking at things on a macro level — I see a lot of hurdles that people around my age have had to clear. If things go even further south soon it will be yet another hurdle. I say this as I watch what looks to be the stock market imploding.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:17 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,338,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I made it just fine so no crying from me. However, looking at things on a macro level — I see a lot of hurdles that people around my age have had to clear. If things go even further south soon it will be yet another hurdle.
You literally said:

Quote:
Homes…if you haven’t already bought one that ship has sailed.
I guess you're just being dramatic then?

Old 05-02-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You literally said:

I guess you're just being dramatic then?
What exactly are you saying about what I said? Often times written communication can turn into a battle of semantics.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Every generation has it's difficulties. Working in Seattle I have noticed that most of the homeless are gen X and boomers. For the millennial and Z at least they have the option of going back to the home of their parents. Despite hearing complaints like the OP, I don't know any young people having those problems. I have two millennial kids that have great jobs, have bought houses and new cars. The same with most of their friends that they keep in contact with. The folks that have bought in our neighborhood over the last 3 years have all been young millennial families, paying $800-$1 million and are driving newer cars, in fact one just bought a new SUV a couple of weeks ago, to tow the boat he had just bought. perhaps the number of young Amazon and Microsoft tech workers in this area makes it less typical than other parts of the country.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:02 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,435,761 times
Is there a contest to have as many absolutes and stereotypes jammed into the title and post as possible?

Cash worthless, stocks not safe, get nothing, everything up in price, home ownership has sailed.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
I'm a similar age and have had absolutely no issue getting ahead (way ahead) of my peers. Unpopular opinion, however the mindset of millennials sucks and causes them/us to feel they can't succeeded. Self inflicted.

The implication that millennials have "had it tougher" than other generations is historically false.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:11 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,435,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I'm a similar age and have had absolutely no issue getting ahead (way ahead) of my peers. Unpopular opinion, however the mindset of millennials sucks and causes them/us to feel they can't succeeded. Self inflicted.

The implication that millennials have "had it tougher" than other generations is historically false.
Define historically. It depends on what generations you compare to and where. If you’re talking compared to human history, it’s top tier. If you’re talking globally currently, it’s still a higher tier life in this generation.

However, in terms of American history, and comparing post ww2, this generation was hit with 9/11 (rare attack on American soil), the Great Recession (the worst since the depression), a global pandemic (worst since the Spanish flu), the covid recession/crash (the fastest on record), multiple wars, threat to global American hegemony, and tensions rose so high that the peaceful transition of power and the literal fabric of the system came under threat (probably the biggest threat to the nation since the civil war-if we exclude 2 or 3 near miss nuclear issues).

That’s at least 3 once in a century+ events. All terrible.

Federal reserve data shows graduating into hard times (ie 2008) suppresses your career earnings. Ie less job opportunity to start, lower pay, less promotional opportunity, and those drag on you for life, and since it’s earlier, it compounds the longest.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 05-02-2022 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 01:34 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
It depends on what generations you compare to and where. If you’re talking compared to human history, it’s top tier. If you’re talking globally currently, it’s still a higher tier life in this generation.

However, in terms of American history, and comparing post ww2, this generation was hit with 9/11 (rare attack on American soil), the Great Recession (the worst since the depression), a global pandemic (worst since the Spanish flu), the covid recession/crash (the fastest on record), multiple wars, threat to global American hegemony, and tensions rose so high that the peaceful transition of power and the literal fabric of the system came under threat (probably the biggest threat to the nation since the civil war-if we exclude 2 or 3 near miss nuclear issues).

That’s at least 3, probably 4 or 5 once in a century events. All horrific.

Federal reserve data shows graduating into hard times (ie 2008) suppresses your career earnings. Ie less job opportunity to start, lower pay, less promotional opportunity, and those drag on you for life, and since it’s earlier, it compounds the longest. It’s likely to be the first generation that has a worse life than their parents post ww2, however, I do concede a lot of this is due to life style creep. However, other aspects of it aren’t.
Even recent generations have had challenges.... civil rights movement; Cuban missile crisis; Vietnam War (and its opposition); Watergate/gov corruption concerns.

I wont argue the point that the generation might have a worse life than our parents, however the question is if all of these external factors were the culprit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics