Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 04:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Hmmm, surprised they gave you the name. Confidentialty would prevent that.

Terms and conditions as posted under the gift card:

A Southwest gift card is not replaceable if lost, stolen, or destroyed.

^ https://www.southwest.com/html/air/p...onditions.html

I get your frustration. I am always leery of gift cards. Not sure how you could "win" in small court claims if the conditions are posted when you or someone purchases the gift card.

Not against Southwest but you might well win in a suit against the person who used the card.

I wonder if maybe the sister purchased this gift card from a 3rd party and was scammed. A scammer could be selling empty $500 gift cards for $250 to people eager for a deal then spoofing an email that appears to come from Southwest to make it look legitimate.

Just don't do gift cards. The sister could have just purchased points to be allocated to his account or given him cash. There needs to be a way for a gift card recipient to convert it as a credit allocated to their account.

Since Southwest doesn't have change fees I wonder if one way to protect yourself as a recipient is to immediately book a $500 flight as far in the future as you can, then change it when you have a flight you really want to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 04:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
I know that with my compromised MasterCard gift card, I had to be the one to file the claim and get involved and provide proof of purchase, and ID. I had gotten the card as a gift to my husband, and they really didn’t want to talk to him. They treated it as I was the injured party. I had paid for the gift card, so they treated it as a loss to me.

Perhaps the sister needs to get involved?

MasterCard also knew who had used the card, as the thief had registered it and used it online. They had to investigate how that happened and when they verified the theft, I was made whole with a new gift card (which I gave to ,y husband who promptly registered it).

To be honest, the victim is probably the sister. She spent money on an e-gift that was spent by a thief. She needs to be made whole so that she can give a proper gift to her brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics