Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 03:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
That's been the rallying cry of Ron Paul for quite awhile
That crazy old coot has also been calling the collapse of the dollar and massive civil unrest since at least 2015, who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 07:40 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Two words. Easy money.
Extremely cheap money for the past 2 decades, in the form of artificially low interest rates and US.gov printing will inflate bubbles in all kinds of assets which is exactly what we have today.
Stocks, crypto, real estate, art, exotic cars, etc.

Assume you were in control of macro-money policy (the discount rate, Fed. balance sheet, rrr, some control over dollar strength, managing the overnight funds market etc.) what would you have done differently? Differently against a backdrop of low demand, near zero inflationary pressures, sluggish growth and low to very low bond yields?

Please be specific.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
That's been the rallying cry of Ron Paul for quite awhile:

END THE FED!

The Federal Reserve and Central Banks in general are easily one of the most evil and corrupt institutions with far too much power of much of the world.
Against the backdrop that every important economy on Earth has its own version of The Federal Reserve, even the Russians, who would you put in charge of marco-money policy?

Old 09-30-2022, 08:53 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
That's been the rallying cry of Ron Paul for quite awhile:

END THE FED!

The Federal Reserve and Central Banks in general are easily one of the most evil and corrupt institutions with far too much power of much of the world.
If you eliminate the Fed and Central banks, what replaces them? They all have many more functions than setting monetary policy, from providing overnight liquidity to running the transaction clearing houses that allow for direct deposit and paying your bills over the internet.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:41 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That crazy old coot has also been calling the collapse of the dollar and massive civil unrest since at least 2015, who cares?
With the massive amount of money printing and (hyper) inflation, we are getting closer to that scenario.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:56 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Against the backdrop that every important economy on Earth has its own version of The Federal Reserve, even the Russians, who would you put in charge of marco-money policy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you eliminate the Fed and Central banks, what replaces them? They all have many more functions than setting monetary policy, from providing overnight liquidity to running the transaction clearing houses that allow for direct deposit and paying your bills over the internet.
Whatever we had before the creation of the Federal Reserve or the Rothschild Central Banks.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Whatever we had before the creation of the Federal Reserve or the Rothschild Central Banks.
You might want to review how precipitously crappy economic conditions were across those eras........US say 1750-1910/12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

_________

I vote to keep what we have. So does just about everyone who thinks this through carefully.

ETA - much of this has been asked and answered above.

Last edited by EDS_; 09-30-2022 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-30-2022, 02:20 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
With the massive amount of money printing and (hyper) inflation, we are getting closer to that scenario.
I want you to take a deep breath and actually think for a minute, ok?

The US dollar is now the strongest currency in this world. The evidence of that is the decline of the euro, the decline of the British pound, the decline of the Swiss franc, and even the decline of Chinese yuan.

In order for the dollar to collapse, every other currency in this world would have to collapse too. If the dollar is stronger than those currencies that is the only logical conclusion to be drawn.

So, in essence, you argue that every currency in this world is going to collapse. Pardon me, while I take a break to suppress all my giggles.

Every time there is a recession there is always someone saying the same thing that you are now. "Total collapse is just around the corner". The problem is that total collapse never occurs. I think it is high time that those who have made these silly predictions in the past are held accountable for them. If you are wrong five times in a row why should anyone believe you now? Your doomsday scenario is just BS.

Old 09-30-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I want you to take a deep breath and actually think for a minute, ok?

The US dollar is now the strongest currency in this world. The evidence of that is the decline of the euro, the decline of the British pound, the decline of the Swiss franc, and even the decline of Chinese yuan.

In order for the dollar to collapse, every other currency in this world would have to collapse too. If the dollar is stronger than those currencies that is the only logical conclusion to be drawn.

So, in essence, you argue that every currency in this world is going to collapse. Pardon me, while I take a break to suppress all my giggles.

Every time there is a recession there is always someone saying the same thing that you are now. "Total collapse is just around the corner". The problem is that total collapse never occurs. I think it is high time that those who have made these silly predictions in the past are held accountable for them. If you are wrong five times in a row why should anyone believe you now? Your doomsday scenario is just BS.
Also, anytime someone utters the phase or alludes to hyper-inflation per The US they've given in to contrivance and bad information...............like say using, "The Creature from Jekyll Island" as their logical center point.

Old 09-30-2022, 02:57 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Well, one of the things the Federal Reserve did was make it possible to deposit checks from banks where you didn't have an account. The FR runs nearly all the clearing operations in the US, and has been instrumental in making them efficient and low cost.

The Fed provides overnight liquidity to banks so they can meet their customers cash needs. I don't think we want to return to the days of full reserve banking.

The FR does many things that were not done before its creation. We do not want to lose those, unless you like bank panics and sever boom bust cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics