Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 05:56 AM

17,287 posts, read 22,013,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You might be surprised at how those "big" houses back in the day compared today's homes. In 1949 the average square footage was a little over 900 square feet with an household size of 3.7 people, today it is about 2,500 square feet.
I live in a wealthy area. My neighbor's kid was complaining about the size of her house. Her grandfather was an autoworker in Detroit his whole career. He lived in a ranch style brick house for 35+ years and I bet it wasn't 1500 sq ft. I reminded her that her dad grew up in a house that is the size of your garage/kitchen/family room (they are all parallel to each other, easy to imagine as one room). Kid was stunned, she had been to Grandpa's house but never considered the size of the whole place.

My grandparents had a decent size home, 3 floors/4 car garage with a rental apartment over the garage. As a kid I thought it was HUGE, I guess the double staircases made it seem that way to a kid. I just looked it up on Zillow........2700 sq ft. 8 people lived there (not counting the apartment) and they only had ONE full bath on the 2nd floor! Think about how insane that would be today!

I guess everything is relative.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 06:18 AM

747 posts, read 838,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What 18-year-old kid do you know that has the resources to come up with that kind of money on their own? It's not like they can make tens of thousands working part-time at Starbucks while maintaining a decent gpa.
Sure they can. By the time they are 18 they could have worked full time for at least 3 summers and part time during school. They could take a year off after high school and work full time. They could apply for many of the thousands of scholarships that go unclaimed every year. They could go into the military first for a couple years They could start their college education at a junior or community college.

it certainly can be done. I did it and watched many others do the same. And no one said they have to work at a Starbucks. Where the heck did that come from???..........

Old 01-23-2023, 07:37 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You might be surprised at how those "big" houses back in the day compared today's homes. In 1949 the average square footage was a little over 900 square feet with an household size of 3.7 people, today it is about 2,500 square feet.
Yes, it was a 4 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house, but about 1700 Sq ft. That’s considered a small house these days. The houses my friends and I grew up in, in the 50s, were very much smaller than that.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:58 AM

2,311 posts, read 957,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Part of that "something" is that REIT's and flippers have taken over various aspects of the RE market, driving rents and prices far beyond what most people can pay. They started out in some markets taking advantage of job booms that created increased demand, but now they're spread across the country into other markets, other RE sectors, like mobile home parks and storage facilities. This has been going on under the radar for about 30 years, and people are only now beginning to recognize the problem.

How the Pharma industry was allowed to get away with predatory pricing, making basic prescriptions like inulin unaffordable to most is beyond me.

That's capitalism for you. When wealth begets wealth and drives up the wage/wealth gap, we get into these unsustainable conditions.

I've complained about that here before and was told that it's "a free market, st fu and work harder. Nothing is stopping me from starting my own Blackrock."

Old 01-23-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We live in a free market system. As long as people still pay the rents, they won’t come down. As long as the pharmaceutical companies can keep making money, they will.

One thing that is really worrying me is foreign countries buying up land in America. I can’t reconcile my belief that a person should be able to sell his property to the highest bidder, against the worry about control by the Chinese and others.

That was the same fear in the 80s about the Japanese when they bought up US property everywhere, including prime real estate in NYC.
Just more media preying on our biggest emotion, fear.

Personally I think that the wealthy from overseas is a contributing factor when it comes to bidding up prices of property to the point where normal Americans can't compete. Something needs to be done.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:29 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Come on, Ruth. You're too smart for that. Follow the money. Running for office ain't cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801;
That is a no-brainer. They get away with it because they spend huge amounts of money putting people into office in exchange for not having laws that control their pricing, same as the A.M.A.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:40 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
The one young lady in that video with a condo and recently purchased a $10k car stated that she should be able to take advantage of everything her city has to offer. And, I'm thinking I've never been able to do that and most people are not billionaires and cannot take advantage of every amenity their city, towns, suburbs have to offer. She said "it isn't fair." My gosh that makes zero sense to me. Everyone has to live within a budget. She has a Master's Degree and chooses to work as a social worker. That's a choice. There are higher paid occupations out there.
MSW's work as supervisors in the social work system, so while they still don't make as much as some techies, doctors, etc., they make better than the rank-and-file in the profession. And judging by some of the horror stories that occasionally make the news about situations "the system" failed to address adequately, heaven knows sharp minds and good hearts are needed there.

I wouldn't knock her choice of profession, but she needs to acknowledge, that she did make a choice, and that choice comes with certain economic circumstances. I didn't watch the video though, so I don't know where she lives and what the RE values are there, and to what extent they may have hyper-inflated due to speculation run amok.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:32 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
That was the same fear in the 80s about the Japanese when they bought up US property everywhere, including prime real estate in NYC.
Just more media preying on our biggest emotion, fear.

Personally I think that the wealthy from overseas is a contributing factor when it comes to bidding up prices of property to the point where normal Americans can't compete. Something needs to be done.
I wish you were right, but I think the Chinese are making an effort to infiltrate our society with the goal of taking over.

That’s a lot different than little Japan buying a few skyscrapers.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I wish you were right, but I think the Chinese are making an effort to infiltrate our society with the goal of taking over.

Stop believing MSM. They also told us Russia interfered with our elections which has been proven false many times over in Twitter files.
They are preying on our fears so that they can pull another Ukraine in China/Taiwan so the MIC can continue the gravy train. That has been our foreign policy since WW2 ended. Endless wars around the globe so that they can justify a $1T military budget.
Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War, Iraq 1 and 2, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Ukraine, etc.

And the Japanese were also villainized by the media. They were smashing their PCs and Toyotas in Detroit.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:07 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Stop believing MSM. They also told us Russia interfered with our elections which has been proven false many times over in Twitter files.
They are preying on our fears so that they can pull another Ukraine in China/Taiwan so the MIC can continue the gravy train. That has been our foreign policy since WW2 ended. Endless wars around the globe so that they can justify a $1T military budget.
Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War, Iraq 1 and 2, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Ukraine, etc.

And the Japanese were also villainized by the media. They were smashing their PCs and Toyotas in Detroit.
You have got to be kidding, lol. You can't seriously believe that she's getting that nonsense from the mainstream media. In fact, that kind of opinion comes from a place that is the very antithesis of the MSM.

In fact, I'm not even sure which view is more ridiculous. Hers that the Chinese are buying up properties to infiltrate and take over the U.S., or yours that that type of nonsense comes from the mainstream media.

Flip a coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics