Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Agreed. The economy needs to shake out its excesses.
I think some people don't get the many of the businesses closing aren't being replaced. Of course some of the closed business will create opportunities for others, but many will not.

I'm still amazed at how many of those stupid home goods stores have popped up over the last 5-7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
MInor adjustments. You open a bunch when things are booming, you close a few bad ones when it slows somewhat.

I suspect Lowes is kickin Home Depots rear end. One of my pet peeves is to check out at Home Depot. They have 17 cash registers and 1 is open and it's at the very far end.

I also suspect Costco is whipping up on Sam's Clubs.
A Home Depot in our area is closing right now. We all knew it wouldn't make it when they were building right beside Lowes 5 years ago. Looking for the competition to start against our super Wal Mart as a Meijers is being built about a mile away.

Agree about this huge stores multi check-outs!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:20 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,549,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I think some people don't get the many of the businesses closing aren't being replaced. Of course some of the closed business will create opportunities for others, but many will not.
About the best use I see of the abandoned (and being abandoned) "big boxes" are to either knock the roof out and make a Greenhouse -- or turn the roof into a Greenhouse -- For in-city and in-suburbia local produced food outlets.

Quote:
I'm still amazed at how many of those stupid home goods stores have popped up over the last 5-7 years.
Their role was to fill-up the ARM financed McMansions. The McMansion era is now dead, and so goes the "home goods" stores.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The problem isn't only that these companies are closing down but the jobs are also lost... and when they do find work, often times it pays much less than what they had before... then these very same people try to hang on to the things they had in life and run up a lot of debt instead of downsizing to an affordable level... and taxes go up to support them... and the taxes never ever go away... instead they increase (or they continue to make new ones)... so what is the solution?

sacrifice is the solution! sacrifice that cheap, made in you know where for the more expensive made in the us(or countries that compete on a level footing). i have tried it and it ain't always easy and sometimes it's impossible (tennis balls, sneakers, clothing esp) . start to protest that stores don't have locally manufactured products. bear in mind that what you pay more for today will end up in less of your tax bucks going to welfare.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
sacrifice is the solution! sacrifice that cheap, made in you know where for the more expensive made in the us(or countries that compete on a level footing). i have tried it and it ain't always easy and sometimes it's impossible (tennis balls, sneakers, clothing esp) . start to protest that stores don't have locally manufactured products. bear in mind that what you pay more for today will end up in less of your tax bucks going to welfare.
you dont have to protest. As transportation cost rise and as wages rise in these manufacturing countries it will be cheaper to make it at home.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you dont have to protest. As transportation cost rise and as wages rise in these manufacturing countries it will be cheaper to make it at home.
you still have to protest. when i'm at the store i will make sure at least a few people hear me ask for stuff made here. who knows maybe i can start a trend

Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Maybe start a movement then? I mean write in to companies or into store managers or email him. Better yet email district managers and complain and get as much people as possible to do so.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:46 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
When I shop for an item I look at the origin. I may not find a US product but an alternative country beyond China gets my selection.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Home Depot has been called out on their customer service for years and yet nothing has changed. I used to live in metro Atlanta (HQ for HD) and they never addressed the service / store issues except for a few key / high profile stores. I pass a HD to get to a Lowe's!

One store that was not mentioned is Bombay, that shut down recently. Everytime I went in there, their merchandise always looked the same. They sort of had that British Colonial / Traditional look going on, but their was never anything that looked strikingly different from season to season.
To me it was clear that Bombay would shut down. I really liked their stuff and bought a lot but they had all these sales and you easily would know when the sales would come...so in between the prices went back up and nobody would buy until the next sale...after a while everybody knows and not much new stuff came in...so do the math...

We have a great Home Depot where I live with very good management and great service, so has Lowes too in our area, so we might be lucky.

To me the company with the worst service is Verizon and I'm glad I got rid of them, horrible customer service and we had a thread up in the Tampa forum and not 1 person was in favor of Verizon.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Maybe start a movement then? I mean write in to companies or into store managers or email him. Better yet email district managers and complain and get as much people as possible to do so.
In our business all it took was a few customers returning crappy foreign made items to stop carrying them. It was a PITA for us to absorb the cost AND have to order a replacement for the customer AND pay a restocking fee to the crappy company that built the made in _____ "junk". We even have one customer that comes in and in his broken English (he is of Asian decent) says he does NOT want ANYTHING "Made in China" and he calls it junk. I know that we are not alone as other companies have been saying the same thing that we deal with or run into. Many don't want and flat out refuse to buy any item "made in China" as it most of the time: Does not work, is not made to fit properly, will tear up any working pieces due to not fitting correctly, blow fuses, blow out electronics (automobiles and other machinery tend to get this). Then it cost MORE to fix the stuff it broke which is usually MORE than any amount saved by purchasing the crap to start with.

Best way to find products NOT made in other countries is to shop at your LOCALLY OWNED businesses. The manager/owner is more open to hearing about problems and it does effect them in the pocketbook when many items are returned unlike a large box store that the manager or returns clerk does not have to pay for it (directly at least or not till the end when they lose their job due to lower profits). Not only will you be more likely to find items made in the USA but you will get a MUCH MORE knowledgable person to help you out that KNOWS the products and what they can do or at least knows who to call and find out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics