Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I think the slowdown in Home Depot and Lowes is directly related to the slowdown in building we've seen the past few months. I once applied for a position in a security for one of the companies. They had already hired nine and needed one more. I bet security has been cut, too. I think they expect everybody to use the self-check lines for most purchases, but there are many who don't want to use them. I'm one of those in the "don't use'em category.
My wife likes those "Do it yourself lines." I shake my head and wonder exactly when America convinced people it would be great if they could check and bag their own groceries. I liked full serivce gas stations. I liked getting a toaster when I opened an account. O.K. - I'm not old enough to have gotten a toaster, but I'd sure like to. I could use it as a spare toaster or something. Maybe use it exclusively for toaster strudel. Yeah, that's it...I'd call it "Strudel Zapper!" That would rock.

My wife bemoans American customer service contantly. In Japan, the customer is not only King...the customer can straddle your back and ride you around the store whipping you with a horse crop, if they so desire. It's that big of a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,478 times
Worst in a long list of crappy companies I have had the dipleasure of dealing with is currently Facebook. No phone number to contact their people and take 2 to 5 days to answer e-mails per the lady in corporate. They would not let me log into my account after I set up a advertising account with them. I am in process of cancelling all service with them.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:53 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
I agree with almost all of the companies listed in this thread. For the most part, customer service has ceased to exist for most American companies. The very first time I remember getting terrible customer service was when I was around 15 or 16 years old. I was at a convenience store that is part of a local chain. The clerk basically ignored me for several minutes while he conducted his cigarette invemtory. I waited patiently for several minutes, and finally decided that I had waited long enough. I left my stuff on the counter, and heard him make a snide remark when I was on my way out the door. Well, that chain still exists here in RI, but I'm 38 now and haven't been back in one of those stores since that day, over 20 years ago. Ever since then, I've decided that the best way to get back at poor service is to walk away, and take my money with me. Screw 'em!

Here is my own personal list of places and companies I do not do business with:

-McDonalds (the one near my house is the ALL TIME WORST)
-Home Depot
-Benneys
-Cumberland Farms (the above mentioned convenience store chain)
-Verizon
-Walgreens
-Stop N Shop supermarkets (king of the 20 registers and only 1 open)
-Citizens Bank

Walmart is not on the list yet, but they are very, very close.

Great thread BTW. Let's keep it going, and remember what I said - walk away, and take your money with you!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:59 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,939 times
Oooh! Thanks for the link. Their message boards are overflowing with peoples' comments and complaints. I love reading that stuff.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:34 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Interesting list. Kind of surprised at abercrombie, though. I never shopped there (well did stop in at christmas because my brother wanted sweat pants from there, and no way was I parting with $65 for sweatpants. but the employees seemed nice enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da'one View Post
Wal-Mart, same as Home Depot 20 lines & lucky if 3 are open. Constantly change their isles around. Leave products where they are! I do have to say the last few times I was in there I did get nice cashier's, but that is not normal. Oh & one time I forgot some items that were bagged, got home & realized it & had I not called them, they would have just placed them back on the shelves! I always use a debit card, so they knew who they would have went to. BAD BAD BAD
Yes they are the worst retailer, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personally:i rate wa;-mart high because they wil take any product back no questions asked and their employeees are generally very helpful and nice.There are a;ways exception of course as with everything human.I have actually had them hold stuff I forgot at the register before.
No questions asked? This is after you wait for the one rep to take care of the 7 other people in the returns line, plus do a money wire transfer, on a Tuesday morning.
Hold stuff at the register you forgot? They shoudl be responsible to make sure you take all your stuff in the first place, esp. w/ the turnstile bag holders. Half the time the forgotten bag is on their side and you cannot even see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I was shopping at a Walmart store in Indianapolis,IN once and had a huge cart full of groceries, (cold and dry) and clothing approximately 300.00 worth and when I got to checkout there were only two open with at least 6 cart fulls in each so I asked management why they didnot open another checkout and they said they did not see the need yet. I was so $#%^..D off I just took my cart and shoved it into the clothing isle in front of management and walked out. There mouth just dropped but said nothing. I never went back there again and do as little business with Walmart as I can.
Once I was in a speed lane at a super walmart, along with a ton of other people at the registers, of course with limited cashiers. We were in line forever, the lines were hardly moving, etc. after 20 minutes, i called the store on my cell and asked for the manager. when he got on, i told him that i'd been in line 14 for over 20 minutes, and how did he expect to sell ice cream and ready to eat, hot food (why bother), and when it gets this bad he himself should be on a darn register. Or stick the guy at the entrance and exit on a register instead of "hi" and "bye"
For the love of God how long should someone have to wait to PAY for somethng!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Walmart is world class when it comes to customer service but did it ever cross your mind that the reason the checkouts were undermanned when you were there is that employees who would have normally been at the cash registers were busy reshelving the last cart of goods some inconsiderate customer "shoved" into the clothing isles?
Rest assured Walmart is thankful every time a customer like you decides not to come back. Unfortunately they do though.
"World Class?!!??!" Baloney!
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Charter Cable: Several locations and the worst company I have ever dealt with. In Hickory NC they expanded their rude service to actually being hostile.
DirectV - Use trickery to extend contract - Carefully read anything they want you to sign.
Dish Network is the same way. Tried to charge me for not returning a receiver I bought, too! Even outright lied about local channels. We got out of our contract because of that (tho I wouldn't be surprised if I called them right now and they said we were still under contract!)

Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 PM

491 posts, read 749,054 times
Defintly Wall Mart. How is it when it is busy you only have 3 lanes open?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:29 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
I have to agree with treasurekidd regarding Citizen's Bank. My daughter's numbers from her ATM/debit card were stolen and used in Aruba. After going into the bank, they told her that she had to prove that she is not in Aruba....huh?????????? She was standing in front of them. How much more proof did they need and they told her that they would look into it if she paid first off the amount that someone had been stealing. Again HUH???????? She finally got someone to reimburse her as she lost her paychecks and as soon as it got straightened out she got her money back she was out of there.

I too had multiple problems with them and now have someone else.

In a day and age where there are so many choices, I will chose the company that cares about it's customers.
Greed is putting a lot of these companies out of business also and I do not feel sorry for them however I feel bad for the employees.
The great companies will hold up through the recession and the others will not.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 PM

38,900 posts, read 22,885,731 times
The poster above named a bank as having the worst customer service, so I'll add my .02 along that same line. I've posted in various forums that I was a long-time (over 20 years) customer of Washington Mutual. The few times I've actually had to go inside my local branch and interact with a teller were always pleasant experiences. However, dealing with the 24-hour customer service reps via the 800 number was quite a different story.

WaMu had decided to outsource their call center to the Philippines, and each time I called, I dealt with someone who had no idea how banking works here in the U.S., and some of them were difficult to understand over the phone. That led me to close my accounts with WaMu and do my banking with a local credit union. At least when I call the credit union's member service call center, I KNOW that I'm speaking with someone local and who speaks fluent English. Now that WaMu is part of Chase, I'm not sure if they'll keep using the overseas call centers.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 625 times
Worst online salvage auto auctions I worked with and they took money from my account without any purchasing 1- ISA insurance salvage auction they took $500 from my credit card for more than one month I stopped my membership with them and they still not make refund, the second one is USgovernmetAuctions.net

Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
Sprint - When my brother called to see why it had been 2 months since his "free gift" was supposed to arrive, the CSA got rude and said "I can just cut your phone off if you don't like it!"

U-Haul - hassled my husband for 6 months to "pay up" for a the trailer that he supposedly stole. He turned it in after hours and they checked it back out without first checking it in. They harassed him to the point of saying stuff like "Why don't you just admit you stole the trailer?"

Then we had to use them again to tow a car out of state. The trailer arrived with straps that were 50% worn through. (the straps that hold the car on!) I had to make a LOT of phone calls and threats to get the manager to send someone out to replace the straps before our 8+ hour move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics