Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
No, Kev, we haven't. Read today's news. If oil is going to come down, it isn't going to happen yet and it isn't going to happen through any means that the USA has been implementing right now. The Arab oil-producing countries were all too happy to get us addicted to cheap oil only to gorge on high oil prices at a time like this.

For oil to come down, one or more of the following things will have to happen:

1) People will have to give up driving.

2) People will have to give up complaining about the erection of wind farms and solar farms within their field of vision when they look out their back windows.

3) People will have to switch from oil-burning furnaces and go with coal or wood.

4) The USA will have to bomb the ever-loving tar out of the Arab oil-producing countries... and go in and take their oil by force. (Don't think it can't be done. The only reason why we haven't done this yet is because the USA has a psychosis about having to stay the peacekeeper, police force, and general "nice guy" of the world. If we didn't care about who liked us and who didn't, we'd have gas at 80 cents per gallon right now.)
*sigh*

I wasn't going to post anymore in this forum but then I read this. There is hope, some people do "get it"

great post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What we need in the US are walkable communities with everything you need within walking distance or a SHORT drive.
The lack of foresight in the US is appalling.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
For oil to come down, one or more of the following things will have to happen:

1) People will have to give up driving.
No, they just have to do as I do and limit their driving to 3,000 miles or so a year. I only drive on rare occasions, mainly to go to Chicago or Detroit where there are large Romanian and Serbian communities and I can have someone to talk to, eat ethnic foods, and buy music, foods, newspapers and books, or I travel several counties over to Amish country to buy spices and foods there. The rest of the time I walk or ride the bus, or bike.

Quote:
2) People will have to give up complaining about the erection of wind farms and solar farms within their field of vision when they look out their back windows.
That's the silliest thing I've heard. That's like saying we're running out of toilet paper so we should build more kiosks in malls.

Build 300 Trillion windmills if you want, it won't have any effect on oil prices. With the exception of Hawaii, which uses NO oil for electrical power generation, all electrical power in the US is generated by nuclear, hydro or coal, not oil.

I'm at a loss to understand what part of "the US does NOT use oil for electrical power" people don't get.

Do date, no one has been able to meet my challenge of making birth control pills with wind or solar power.

When you demonstrate how that can be done without oil I'll take you all seriously (maybe).

Quote:
3) People will have to switch from oil-burning furnaces and go with coal or wood.
That's a phenomenon unique to the northeast, especially Maine. Most homes in the Midwest that used oil have converted to natural gas.

As far as prices, it's irrelevant. Home heating oil is made from very heavy oil (aka extra heavy) and heavy oil, and to a lesser extent from some of the heavier intermediate grade crudes, which the US (and the world) are almost drowning in.

Quote:
4) The USA will have to bomb the ever-loving tar out of the Arab oil-producing countries... and go in and take their oil by force. (Don't think it can't be done. The only reason why we haven't done this yet is because the USA has a psychosis about having to stay the peacekeeper, police force, and general "nice guy" of the world. If we didn't care about who liked us and who didn't, we'd have gas at 80 cents per gallon right now.)
That would accomplish nothing, except guarantee that oil would be sold in US$ instead of Euros, Rubles or basket currencies, which would keep the value of the US$ from collapsing.

The Saudis have over 51,000 oil wells to produce their 9 Million barrels per day. It took decades to reach that level of production. You don't just wave the Magic Allah stick and 51,000 oil wells are drilled and have pumps installed and 1,000s of miles of connecting feeder pipelines and main pipelines plus large processing facilities (not the same as a refineries) appear over night.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Everyone needs to keep in mind that most of the large oil fields in production today are in the Middle East, which as we all know, is subject to political turmoil on a daily basis. If Israel attacks Iran, get ready for the price to shoot up. Combine that with a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico, and the scenario gets even more dire. Oil futures investors are betting on the uncertainty of future supplies, that's all, and with good reason.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
with all due respect, have you heard of a place called IRAQ? they are lining up IRAN as we speak!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

That's the silliest thing I've heard. That's like saying we're running out of toilet paper so we should build more kiosks in malls.

Build 300 Trillion windmills if you want, it won't have any effect on oil prices. With the exception of Hawaii, which uses NO oil for electrical power generation, all electrical power in the US is generated by nuclear, hydro or coal, not oil.

I'm at a loss to understand what part of "the US does NOT use oil for electrical power" people don't get.

Do date, no one has been able to meet my challenge of making birth control pills with wind or solar power.

When you demonstrate how that can be done without oil I'll take you all seriously (maybe).

i think when people talk about wind farms etc they are taking into account the increased use of electric cars, plug-in-hybrids etc. this might have some impact on demand imo but not enough to make dramatic price difference.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
No, they just have to do as I do and limit their driving to 3,000 miles or so a year. I only drive on rare occasions, mainly to go to Chicago or Detroit where there are large Romanian and Serbian communities and I can have someone to talk to, eat ethnic foods, and buy music, foods, newspapers and books, or I travel several counties over to Amish country to buy spices and foods there. The rest of the time I walk or ride the bus, or bike.
exactly!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:

That would accomplish nothing, except guarantee that oil would be sold in US$ instead of Euros, Rubles or basket currencies, which would keep the value of the US$ from collapsing.

The Saudis have over 51,000 oil wells to produce their 9 Million barrels per day. It took decades to reach that level of production. You don't just wave the Magic Allah stick and 51,000 oil wells are drilled and have pumps installed and 1,000s of miles of connecting feeder pipelines and main pipelines plus large processing facilities (not the same as a refineries) appear over night.
very well put mircea. very few people understand this

Old 07-11-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Everyone needs to keep in mind that most of the large oil fields in production today are in the Middle East, which as we all know, is subject to political turmoil on a daily basis. If Israel attacks Iran, get ready for the price to shoot up. Combine that with a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico, and the scenario gets even more dire. Oil futures investors are betting on the uncertainty of future supplies, that's all, and with good reason.

you have left out the biggest factor in all this, freddie and fannie are about to get a gigantic bailout from the treasury and federal reserve. with all that new printing you can expect further dollar devaluation and oil price hikes

Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Don't forget about electricity being generated by natural gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics