Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Entitlement programs? Slacking? I have never asked for anything my entire life. I have never slacked. I have worked since I was 14.

I came out of high school in 1980 and faced a recession that saw 10 percent unemployment and more than 20 percent mortgage rates. I worked at K-mart and was grateful for the job. And that is one of the better jobs that I have had in my life.

Yet my father, a career union guy, couldn't understand why I couldn't get health insurance or a decent pay or save, all the while voting for Reagan who was sounding the death knell to unions, declaring ketchup a vegetable and waving the American flag.

Meanwhile, the generation that was doted on, where so much went their way, could not understand that property doesn't always appreciate, that manufacturing nothing in this country would finally cripple us all while they pulled their gas guzzling SUVs into Walmart and signed on the ARM dotted line.

Finally, our generations rose up and took back our country from the greedy brats.

We are the strongest voting block and boomers, you have your notice.

We have suffered in unimaginable ways but we are smarter and tougher because of it and we will prevail because we were never coddled and we never though we were entitled. We just wanted a roof over our heads and some food to eat that we earned with a decent wage. We didn't want to live in terror that the lump in our breast or the pain in our leg could send us to die on the streets.

This is only the beginning. We remember and we are in charge. Welcome to our world where the economy is in collapse, credit is tight and gas in in flux. We will deal with it. We always have.

And yeah, you all can get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 03:21 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Okay. So how about we start with you boomers and take away your social security.
Can you write me a check for what I put into it? It's a lot more then you think it is.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Can you write me a check for what I put into it? It's a lot more then you think it is.
So is mine, sweet pea.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I think Xers, and Ys, aren't the slackers they're made out to be. They're hard workers, but unlike the boomers, they have interests outside of work and aren't married to the job mill or promotions. They've seen what workaholics the Boomers have been and chosen a different path.
Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Isn't it the younger people here that want FREE universal health care? I wonder what that will cost the next generation?

Isn't it the younger generation that paid 4 times what a house is really worth? You control the market, want prices to go down, don't buy until they do.

Aren't you the ones that have to have the latest new blackberry or the newest computer? I bet most of you don't keep your computer over five years, mine is 10 years old and I can still use it to build web sites and do.

I never blamed my parents when things weren't going my way. Why are you blaming yours? I'm sure they still love you even if you do blame them!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think Xers, and Ys, aren't the slackers they're made out to be. They're hard workers, but unlike the boomers, they have interests outside of work and aren't married to the job mill or promotions. They've seen what workaholics the Boomers have been and chosen a different path.
Nothing wrong with that in my book.
You're correct there is nothing wrong with having interest outside of work but what makes you think us older people didn't? I build a house with my own hands outside of work and still worked.

My kids are 37 and 29 and they both work hard doesn't mean they don't have fun too.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Isn't it the younger people here that want FREE universal health care? I wonder what that will cost the next generation?

Isn't it the younger generation that paid 4 times what a house is really worth? You control the market, want prices to go down, don't buy until they do.

Aren't you the ones that have to have the latest new blackberry or the newest computer? I bet most of you don't keep your computer over five years, mine is 10 years old and I can still use it to build web sites and do.

I never blamed my parents when things weren't going my way. Why are you blaming yours? I'm sure they still love you even if you do blame them!
I'm 47, same age as Barack. Listen to you all whine and point fingers.

I've never even owned a Blackberry. I just got a cellphone this February and that is only because my husband gave it to me. He was too afraid because I leave for work at 5 a.m.

My mother-in-law is 61. Biggest loser you would ever want to meet. Boomer all the way. Major pothead. Can't keep a job. Still, the idiot had a house since 1984 because she was in the boomer sweet spot. She's been in foreclosure about four times.

I swear, drugs have addled boomers minds.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm 47, same age as Barack. Listen to you all whine and point fingers.

I've never even owned a Blackberry. I just got a cellphone this February and that is only because my husband gave it to me. He was too afraid because I leave for work at 5 a.m.

My mother-in-law is 61. Biggest loser you would ever want to meet. Boomer all the way. Major pothead. Can't keep a job. Still, the idiot had a house since 1984 because she was in the boomer sweet spot. She's been in foreclosure about four times.

I swear, drugs have addled boomers minds.
Seems it's the younger people here doing all of the finger pointing here, blaming everything on boomers.

Sorry to hear you MIL is a loser and drug user but for everyone like her I can find 10 like her your age at 47 and younger. You're to young to remember that we all weren't drugged out hippies! And most of them were left wing liberals. If you check the prison system I'd bet most in for drugs are not boomers.

It was a lot harder to buy a house in 1984 than it was in 2008.

And you say "Boomer all the way" like it is a state of mind, well it's not, it's an age thing.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
As a Gen X, I have never worked a day in my life. I was diagnosed with a disabilty at 16 and was given state benefits. I still take the state benefits today.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Seems it's the younger people here doing all of the finger pointing here, blaming everything on boomers.

Sorry to hear you MIL is a loser and drug user but for everyone like her I can find 10 like her your age at 47 and younger. You're to young to remember that we all weren't drugged out hippies! And most of them were left wing liberals. If you check the prison system I'd bet most in for drugs are not boomers.

It was a lot harder to buy a house in 1984 than it was in 2008.

And you say "Boomer all the way" like it is a state of mind, well it's not, it's an age thing.
Seems like you are trying to reach across the generation divide. Thank you. I'll take your hand. Maybe, together, we can all fix things, and to heck with the chaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics