Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times

Advertisements

Global recession worst since Depression, IMF says (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090422/ap_on_bi_ge/us_world_economy - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
70Ford wrote:
TIME TO PANIC!!! - Great Depression 2 by 2011.
IMO, PANIC is a complete waste of energy. It makes people do stupid things they'd never do if they stayed calm. So I'll say, NO it is not time to PANIC. Rather, stay calm and keep your wits about you....no matter what. Take it one day at a time, one step at a time.
I completely agree it is only a matter of time before there is a breakthrough in technology by some new genius out there.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
While I agree that things to this point do not seem that bad, it is important to look at the extraordinary lengths to which the government has gone to postpone the depression. I say postpone because the actions taken so far will not prevent it, only make it worse down the road. The government has the taxpayer’s credit card and is digging a hole we will not be able to climb out of. The Fed just bought 7 billion in Treasuries because foreign investors are no longer interested, the reason is, they do not think the American taxpayer is going to be able to service the debt. The sub prime mortgage problem is only the tip of the iceberg, yet look at the damage it has done. The Alt A mortgage problem is just as large as the sub prime problem, but has not impacted yet, the commercial real estate loans are going to be a huge problem but are just now beginning to become delinquent. Add to all that the gigantic derivatives problem and the entire financial industry becomes a weight that can do nothing except sink the economy. The Government has already shown it will do literally anything to bail out Wall St, the Banks, and Big Business interests at the expense of the tax payers, and we can expect that to continue until they have stolen everything they can. Depression 2011? Unfortunately yes.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Well I hope we can hold out that long. The government can't keep doing what it's doing for 2 more years IMHO. The seams are bulging right now.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I don't forsee this ending well. It can't. Bottom line, there is no way the government can perpetually maintain a system that requires exponential growth to operate, not to mention all the frightening obstacles in the country's path now and in the very near future, any one of which could cause a collapse. Worse still, no one in power seems to have any intention of changing course (it might already be too late anyway). I am certain I will see the fall of America within my lifetime. It chills me to the bone and makes me fear for my kids.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default So whose tanks get here first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't forsee this ending well. It can't. Bottom line, there is no way the government can perpetually maintain a system that requires exponential growth to operate, not to mention all the frightening obstacles in the country's path now and in the very near future, any one of which could cause a collapse. Worse still, no one in power seems to have any intention of changing course (it might already be too late anyway). I am certain I will see the fall of America within my lifetime. It chills me to the bone and makes me fear for my kids.
4668mi Moscow, Moskva, Russia -> NYC

7801mi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India -> NYC

5634mi Pucheng, Beijing, China -> LA

I'm thinking our Navy will have plenty of warning...

Old 04-23-2009, 04:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
4668mi Moscow, Moskva, Russia -> NYC

7801mi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India -> NYC

5634mi Pucheng, Beijing, China -> LA

I'm thinking our Navy will have plenty of warning...
I'm more worried about what will happen when the lights blink off and the grocery stores are all cleaned out.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
You'll like this: Survivalist Seeds - Saving and Storing Seeds - Heirloom Seeds, Non-GM Seeds - Survival Garden, Patriot Seeds, Patriot Survival And Emergency Preparedness (http://www.survivalistseeds.com/seeds.htm - broken link)

Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 PM

50 posts, read 291,589 times
Stop. Seriously. Stop it y'all. Stop being scaredy cats.

Its amazing, AMAZING how humans worry about everything under the sun, yet animals...who have to deal with OUR bull****, how we have taken so much away from them, maintain to live on as usual. They arent worried about how they will find the next worm, or the next gazelle for crying out loud! They live life as usual, yet still remain to preserve their very existance. When population dynamics (meaning, when predator outnumbers the prey, or vice versa..) they deal with it and let nature takes its course. Yes, they may have less food for a season...but its just a SEASON! Soon the balace of nature plays its self out once again.

If only we were animals. But we're not. We worry, fret, and predict all the worse. Such intellectual humans...too intellectual for our own good at times!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,301 times
My goodness, somebody better put an econ textbook in front of all those animals.

Ignorance might be bliss, but forewarned is also forearmed. We have had quite a bit of time to prepare ourselves for a hard landing. Some people will come out of it richer and others will come out of it poorer. Awareness, intelligence, planning and luck will make all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics