Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM

625 posts, read 3,636,011 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm a little bias because I was one of those "young, dumb, idiotic people" who waited in line for 2 hours to cast my vote for the "messiah". I just think it's hilarious that most of the people complaining about his policies are those who are making no where near the amount he is planning to tax. He distinctly said $250k how many of you actually make $250k???? On second thought don't answer that because I will receive an influx of replies from "internet highrollers". I think the amount of media attention President Obama gets totally chumps all of the attention Bush got for his entire 8 years. Where was this media blitz when this economic downturn was taking place or beginning to take form? A few months ago they admitted we have been in a recession since September of 2007. Why didn't these journalist who take pride in uncovering every other stupid story such as "where and when one of the drunk twins was getting married" uncover this story. I graduated college in 2007 and was looking for a job in the publishing industry. I met tons of wonderful people who worked in magazines and the fashion industry for years. Now most of those people are laid off and unemployed and I can tell you it happened way before the new President took oath. I worked at a major retailer in the corporate office and the higher ups made if seem as though it was business as usual and nothing was going on. A few months after I left there I read in the paper that there were going belly up. Employees who had been there for decades found out the same day and the same way that I did. Now those people are unemployed and hurting. I feel confident in our new administation because I don't see them trying to do a ton of cover ups. He actually has a website to show America some of the progress being made. He has a plan. And he doesn't spend his entire address repeating the words "terrorism", "terrorist", "safety", "threat", "fear", "protect", etc. Where were all the questions when the bailout were given to banks? We don't even know how that money has been used but only that one has "acquired" the other. So basically it was used for mergers which then led to more layoffs because they have too many employees now. I just think all of the bitching and moaning about government is about 4 years too late. We are in this messnow and by all means for everyone who feels they have all the answers and can do a better job than the current president my question to them is "What was the last public office you have held?" and if you haven't "Why don't you run for one and help us idiots get out of this mess?"

Okay now back to watching an episode of the Repo Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Maybe I'm a little bias because I was one of those "young, dumb, idiotic people" who waited in line for 2 hours to cast my vote for the "messiah". I just think it's hilarious that most of the people complaining about his policies are those who are making no where near the amount he is planning to tax. He distinctly said $250k how many of you actually make $250k???? On second thought don't answer that because I will receive an influx of replies from "internet highrollers". I think the amount of media attention President Obama gets totally chumps all of the attention Bush got for his entire 8 years. Where was this media blitz when this economic downturn was taking place or beginning to take form? A few months ago they admitted we have been in a recession since September of 2007. Why didn't these journalist who take pride in uncovering every other stupid story such as "where and when one of the drunk twins was getting married" uncover this story. I graduated college in 2007 and was looking for a job in the publishing industry. I met tons of wonderful people who worked in magazines and the fashion industry for years. Now most of those people are laid off and unemployed and I can tell you it happened way before the new President took oath. I worked at a major retailer in the corporate office and the higher ups made if seem as though it was business as usual and nothing was going on. A few months after I left there I read in the paper that there were going belly up. Employees who had been there for decades found out the same day and the same way that I did. Now those people are unemployed and hurting. I feel confident in our new administation because I don't see them trying to do a ton of cover ups. He actually has a website to show America some of the progress being made. He has a plan. And he doesn't spend his entire address repeating the words "terrorism", "terrorist", "safety", "threat", "fear", "protect", etc. Where were all the questions when the bailout were given to banks? We don't even know how that money has been used but only that one has "acquired" the other. So basically it was used for mergers which then led to more layoffs because they have too many employees now. I just think all of the bitching and moaning about government is about 4 years too late. We are in this messnow and by all means for everyone who feels they have all the answers and can do a better job than the current president my question to them is "What was the last public office you have held?" and if you haven't "Why don't you run for one and help us idiots get out of this mess?"

Okay now back to watching an episode of the Repo Man
Now that was pretty interesting!! I remember when I was young and life seemed so easy and I did not have a stake in anything. Enjoy it while you can!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
They aren't getting the response that they want from P & C, so are bleeding over. Caught this one in the education forum. //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...g-teacher.html

(poor) losers.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I just think it's hilarious that most of the people complaining about his policies are those who are making no where near the amount he is planning to tax. He distinctly said $250k how many of you actually make $250k????
The problem isn't necessarily confined to those who make 250K today....

The AMT started out as a way to make sure the "rich" people were paying their way, but inflation brought that tax down to the middle class. Now that the government is getting those higher revenues, they aren't willing to give it up, and middle class people are stuck paying a tax designed for the "rich".

An lot of very smart people are predicting serious inflation headed our way, and it might not be very long before a $250K income will be needed to live a middle class life. When that happens, do you really think the government will let you off the hook?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
They aren't getting the response that they want from P & C, so are bleeding over. Caught this one in the education forum. //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...g-teacher.html

(poor) losers.
That's patheitc.

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

Did I mention I have a good recipe for chicken casserole? And my wife beats me. And I need to know more about a real etate agent I can deal with on a personal level. One who didn't vote for Obama. OR Jesus.
Not THAT Jesus. I'm talking about Hay-Suse, the illegal immigrant. He's the reason why we're having all this economic trouble, see?

Oh man. Why do the trolls come here? WHY GOD WHY?

(Mods, please don't move this to the politics, food or relationship thread. It's all about business here. Obama business. Can't we just name this the "Reason's why Obama sucks" City Data forum? Just have one big forum where we can talk about our chicken casseroles and why it's Obama'z fault that they're not as tasty as they used to be. Or how tasty they would become if he wasn't president.)

THANKS!!!

PALIN 2012!! !YEEHAW YA'LL>

Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM

231 posts, read 630,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
<snip>If anything, I'm amazed at how fast Bush and TARP 1 has dropped off the radar.
Why would you be surprised? This was Obama's economy to make or break. The country and business was eager for a breath of fresh air as promised during the campaign. With even a hint of encouragement, the market would probably be significantly higher today and maybe moving toward recovery. Unfortunately, we heard gloom and doom followed by a outragious spending bill that serves political agendas and fails to address the economy issues. The prez and staff failed on their promises and the business market is responding.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
As I type, seven of the first ten posts in this forum, which is supposedly NOT about politics, has the word Obama in the thread title. Duhhhh.

As someone who voted for the Libertarian candidate, and is a Centrist in leaning, all I can say is that readers of those threads need to be VERY aware of undertones in supposedly non-political Business, Finance, and Investing threads.

Amen. I intentionally stay away from the Politics forum because they rarely discuss policy, and I don't want to hear anybody's opinions about Republicans, Democrats, Bush, or Obama. Pleeeeeeeease whomever is the mod, don't allow the Biz forum to devolve into partisan arguments.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
If anything, I'm amazed at how fast Bush and TARP 1 has dropped off the radar.
Why would you be surprised? Obama installed one of TARP 1's chief architects, Tim Geithner, as his Treasury Secretary. They (Obama and the MSM) probably don't want to remind everyone that the same people are still running the show with the same ideas that won't work.

"President-elect Barack Obama has selected New York Federal Reserve Bank President Timothy F. Geithner as Treasury secretary, handing the post to a primary architect of the Bush administration's response to the financial crisis, according to Democratic and industry officials yesterday."
Obama Picks N.Y. Fed President Geithner as Treasury Secretary - washingtonpost.com

"The Paulson/Geithner bailout model as manifest by the AIG situation is untenable and illustrates why President-elect Obama badly needs a new face at Treasury. A face with real financial credentials, somebody like Fannie Mae CEO (as of Sept. 8, 2008) Herb Allison. A banker with real world transactional experience, somebody who will know precisely how to deal with the last bubble that needs to be lanced - CDS.....

President-elect Obama and the American people have a choice: embrace financial sanity and safety and soundness by deflating the last, biggest speculative bubble using the time-tested mechanism of insolvency. Or we can muddle along for the next decade or more, using the Paulson/Geithner model of financial rescue for the AIG CDS Ponzi scheme and embrace the Japanese model of economic stagnation...."
The Institutional Risk Analyst: What Barack Obama Needs to Know About Tim Geithner, the AIG Fiasco and Citigroup

"...Mr. Geithner’s involvement in several ultimately ill-fated efforts to buttress the American financial system is the very reason some Wall Street C.E.O.’s — a number of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of piquing the man who regulates them — question whether he’s up to the challenge....

...Mr. Geithner also oversaw and regulated an entire industry whose decline has delivered a further blow to an already weakened American economy. Under his watch, some of the biggest institutions that were the responsibility of the New York Fed — Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch and most recently, Citigroup — faltered."
The New York Times

Old 03-03-2009, 02:06 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
The post that chastises users about bringing up politics has now turned into a political discussion.

Well what can you do. Nowadays the principal political subject is economics, not the war in Iraq or abortion or civil rights. And the principal economic subject is politics as that is the principle area of uncertainty in the economy.

I'd rather talk politics here than the politics forum - some of those guys in that forum below us are, well, not right in the head. There be the lunatic fringe and most of the responses there are just plain clueless. Most of the people here, when it comes down to it, just hate politicians. Bush or Obama - they are both the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics