Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:03 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Was watching a CNBC documentary about GM collapsing. One of the things they brought up was how much the workers make. $28/hr!!! with lots of decent benefits. After the UAW bought them out it was moved down to $14/hr.

So I ask everyone, what do you think is a fair wage to be paying these auto workers?

I say start them off as independent contractors making 10/hr no benefits. Supervisors make 12/hr with benefits. Managers and highly skilled workers make 15/hr with benefits.

Even at those rates, people will be lined up around the block to work. Also Detroit has very low cost of living so making 10/hr is good money! The work they do isn't even hard. I saw one guy who all he did was install shocks into the car all day long. That is how the assembly line works - everyone is specialized to do one specific thing. It would take what? An hour to train someone to do that?

Thoughts?
Wow,
You seem pretty uninformed. Have you ever been in a plant ? Sure some are better than others but pretty much everytime you step foot in one your life is at risk. Lot's of things can happen in a plant.
Let me ask you this, sit at your keyboard 8-12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week and just hit that enter key the whole entire time. It's not hard right ? I wonder what you will think about it at the end of the week.
Also who are you to judge what some people make ? I'd love to see what you think I should be making. I'm a non degreed automotive designer, been in it 17 years and all I do is sit behind a computer (well I did until Jan. now I'm unemployed) and create things. Let's just say I made over $100k a year for quite a few years.
Are you crazy.. $10 and hour ?!?? Detroit has a low cost of living ?!?! Sure it isn't Cali or the east coast but it isn't cheap to live here.
No I'm not a UAW worker nor ever have been but by father was ... 40 years at DCX. He was a degreed skilled tradesmen. His trade was basically an electrician. I grew up pretty much not knowing him for the most part because of the work schedule, and when he was home he was completley exhausted. At one point early in my life I was offered a chance to work their on the line, for like $3 an hour more than my current job was paying. Well one tour of his plant running production was all it took to tell me I never wanted to work in a place like that, no matter what the pay was.
$10 and hour... how do you afford a house and a vehicle on that ? Raising a family on that ? Sending kids to college on that ? What do you do for a living ? I'm curious to see if you deserve what you make ?

The only thing I can kind of agree with his a performance based type of pay. Although EVERYONE should be that way. CEO's shouldn't get any kind of a bonus for running a company into the ground. The changes need to start at the top.. not at the bottom. Greed is killing this country , not someone on an assy. line making $14 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow,
You seem pretty uninformed. Have you ever been in a plant ? Sure some are better than others but pretty much everytime you step foot in one your life is at risk. Lot's of things can happen in a plant.
Let me ask you this, sit at your keyboard 8-12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week and just hit that enter key the whole entire time. It's not hard right ? I wonder what you will think about it at the end of the week.
Also who are you to judge what some people make ? I'd love to see what you think I should be making. I'm a non degreed automotive designer, been in it 17 years and all I do is sit behind a computer (well I did until Jan. now I'm unemployed) and create things. Let's just say I made over $100k a year for quite a few years.
Are you crazy.. $10 and hour ?!?? Detroit has a low cost of living ?!?! Sure it isn't Cali or the east coast but it isn't cheap to live here.
No I'm not a UAW worker nor ever have been but by father was ... 40 years at DCX. He was a degreed skilled tradesmen. His trade was basically an electrician. I grew up pretty much not knowing him for the most part because of the work schedule, and when he was home he was completley exhausted. At one point early in my life I was offered a chance to work their on the line, for like $3 an hour more than my current job was paying. Well one tour of his plant running production was all it took to tell me I never wanted to work in a place like that, no matter what the pay was.
$10 and hour... how do you afford a house and a vehicle on that ? Raising a family on that ? Sending kids to college on that ? What do you do for a living ? I'm curious to see if you deserve what you make ?

The only thing I can kind of agree with his a performance based type of pay. Although EVERYONE should be that way. CEO's shouldn't get any kind of a bonus for running a company into the ground. The changes need to start at the top.. not at the bottom. Greed is killing this country , not someone on an assy. line making $14 an hour.
Some jobs require skill on an assembly line but most are repetition.
Most "key board" jobs are also the same way. Many keyboard jobs take the ability to type, ten key and make flow chart like decisions that are not just repetition. For that you need education not labor or repetition. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find quality, educated people for a lot of jobs like programming and trouble shooting.

This is the age of computers and that is where our skilled people are heading. Many assembly line jobs have been automated and I wonder how many have not been simply because of the UAWs demand for jobs even if it is just tightening lug nuts.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
My husband happens to be one of those trouble shooting engineers who went to college for what he does, and I agree... you need an education to do what he does.
It angers him as well as it does myself and several thousands others who do the same type of work as my husband,who walk into these assembly plants knowing very well that these people are quite possibly making more money than he is.
Day after day all he hears is the employees complaining about this and that,their pay,their hours,and here my husband has again been told that there will be no preformance bonus checks this year,no salary increases during their annual reviews,etc...

As for posting links,etc... just read the news yourself,"listen" to others out there in the business world,manufacturing... I think that most will agree. Of course no one should be making $10/hr ,that is an unfair wage for anyone quite honestly. They should NOT however be making $60K a year PLUS bonus money,plus all of their vacation time,etc... not when it is not competetive with what is going on in today's world,certainly not the Auto Industry.
(so Smelly Kat,there are many links,many things to read,but most of our "knowledge" is from actual employees who are telling us that yes,they are still working OT and still getting their preformance review bonuses,etc...,).

Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I was, once upon a time, a prototype machinest and machine builder. a designer could hand me a sketch and I would make a machine for him out of what ever he wanted. I could machine, weld, cast and forge most metals. I could not afford to keep working at this because it simply did not pay enough money. I was very unhappy at this realization because I actually like to do this kind of work.

I took a job as a bureaucrat and have since been paid almost enough to live pretty well and do what I want on vacations (or at least used to). I do not enjoy the work but I never expected to. If I had enough money I would go back to the shop and work half time (no longer have the endurance for full time real work) for free just because I liked it so much.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:31 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Was watching a CNBC documentary about GM collapsing. One of the things they brought up was how much the workers make. $28/hr!!! with lots of decent benefits. After the UAW bought them out it was moved down to $14/hr.

So I ask everyone, what do you think is a fair wage to be paying these auto workers?

I say start them off as independent contractors making 10/hr no benefits. Supervisors make 12/hr with benefits. Managers and highly skilled workers make 15/hr with benefits.

Even at those rates, people will be lined up around the block to work. Also Detroit has very low cost of living so making 10/hr is good money! The work they do isn't even hard. I saw one guy who all he did was install shocks into the car all day long. That is how the assembly line works - everyone is specialized to do one specific thing. It would take what? An hour to train someone to do that?

Thoughts?

they should make what the market will bear. if they can be competitive with other manufacturers at $18 p/h then so be it. if not, they have to pay less. if they are not competitive at $8 p/h then they must pay less. the main problem though is not the workers pay. the main problem is their legacy and health costs. unfortunately, the govt encouraged them to provide all-in health care and pensions. the only way to find out is to let them go to the wall.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
With there having such a large part of the stock they are about to find out waht they are really woth. Its in a large degree now tyhe unions that will have to pay both teh governamnt back and maintain their leagcy cost based on profits.If not tehn they will lose control and value when they are the holders of those stocks.Since the individual union memebrs have no stocks they better hope thier unions make good decisions and can pullout teh companies.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM

393 posts, read 1,188,135 times
Judging by the crap that Detroit puts out...$2 an hour is too much.
I'm glad they are going bankrupt. See what your union got you? Time for the UAW to take a lesson from the steel workers.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,813 times
Quote:
Also Detroit has very low cost of living so making 10/hr is good money!
Yup, very low cost of living, can buy houses for less than $1000
I'm sure all the auto workers have at least a dozen houses each.

Quote:
The work they do isn't even hard. I saw one guy who all he did was install shocks into the car all day long. That is how the assembly line works - everyone is specialized to do one specific thing. It would take what? An hour to train someone to do that?
Yeah, thats all there is to a car, and fitting shocks is the hardest part.
All the wiring, seats, welding, testing, etc. is even easier.

I guess you are totally uninformed about what is involved in the auto industry, about cost of living, about wages, about Michigan as a whole.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
they should make what the market will bear. if they can be competitive with other manufacturers at $18 p/h then so be it. if not, they have to pay less. if they are not competitive at $8 p/h then they must pay less. the main problem though is not the workers pay. the main problem is their legacy and health costs. unfortunately, the govt encouraged them to provide all-in health care and pensions. the only way to find out is to let them go to the wall.

I agree,as I had said in my earlier posts,it isn't just the salary... it is everything else. Their health care,the bonus money,the pensions,etc...
It isn't the way the "real world" is paid today and they should be competitive with that ...
The UAW thinks the world owes them everything and won't concede to anything.. that is why the talks between Delphi & GM are breaking down,because the Union won't agree to concede.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I agree,as I had said in my earlier posts,it isn't just the salary... it is everything else. Their health care,the bonus money,the pensions,etc...
It isn't the way the "real world" is paid today and they should be competitive with that ...
The UAW thinks the world owes them everything and won't concede to anything.. that is why the talks between Delphi & GM are breaking down,because the Union won't agree to concede.
i've read a few of your posts, sou seem very misinformed. as well as envious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics