Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times

Advertisements

I see people spending money left and right...the malls are full, restaurants are full, theaters are full... I do read reports of consumers cutting back but seriously I cannot see it in real life! where are all these people getting the money from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I see people spending money left and right...the malls are full, restaurants are full, theaters are full... I do read reports of consumers cutting back but seriously I cannot see it in real life! where are all these people getting the money from?
From you, indirectly via VISA, Mastercard, Discover, and Amex.

When they default, Brother Barack, Sister Pelosi, Uncle Bennet and Uncle Udall will make sure that you pay the banks back what those people owed. It's the Amerikan way now.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:46 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Mall vacancy are going up and restaurants are closing across the nation. I don't know why people mention that "the malls are packed", after all malls don't make money by being packed, rather people spending money. If traffic is the same but everyone is spending 10% less that is a major hit to malls. A number of local restaurants have closed here, but the popular ones remained packed. Movies on the other hand tend to do well in recessions.

Contrary to popular belief (and the poster above) consumer credit is actually declining now, so the spending is coming more and more from where it should.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times
I would've believed it if I didn't see so many people in fancy restaurants. The restaurants are packed here in LA and it costs good money to go out these days. Sure, malls people can window shop but restaurants? Every restaurant I go to here in Orange County on Friday/Saturday night there is a waiting list to get in because the place is so packed!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Many restaurants are closing in the Los Angeles area, but the popular ones will remain popular. People are still eating out. A recession does not mean everyone stops spending money.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Many restaurants are closing in the Los Angeles area, but the popular ones will remain popular. People are still eating out. A recession does not mean everyone stops spending money.
True.

Stating the obvious here but the good restaurants will survive longer than the mediocre ones.

In our area too the GOOD places are still very busy.

The so-so ones are folding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics