Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

obviously government spending cannot fix this situation. our government ran a record $180.7 billion over budget in july. (treasury dept), yet july's retail sales were down 0.1%, despite expectations of a 0.8% rise in sales (commerce dept).....

this is coupled with declining government revenue, which fell 5.6% from last june, to 151 billion. that is 15 straight months of revenue decline over the same period previously.

it is interesting to read britain's newspapers, as britain did the same thing the united states did, with the same consequences so far and also that the Bank of England expanded its asset-purchase program by 50 billion pounds ($84 billion) to 175 billion pounds, according to Morgan Stanley.

The central bank’s action suggests policy makers, who based the decision on quarterly forecasts prepared this month, assessed that their stimulus plan and record low interest rates weren’t enough to fight a recession that’s deeper than previously anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
The holy and sanctified private sector has had free reign for a long time. An under-regulated private sector has proven to be quite adept at creating massive wealth for a handful of greedy b*stards at the expense of the rest of us. At this stage of the game, in my mind the government is actually the lesser of two evils.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The holy and sanctified private sector has had free reign for a long time. An under-regulated private sector has proven to be quite adept at creating massive wealth for a handful of greedy b*stards at the expense of the rest of us. At this stage of the game, in my mind the government is actually the lesser of two evils.
how would you trust a government that refused to prosecute the private sector crooks, even when informed about them? isn't there a lot of blame for the government as well in this whole mess?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
under-regulated because they have been able to convice our Congress and President to modify laws and regulations that have been on the books since the Great Depression. Those rules were made to prevent another great depression from happening. See what happens when you play with fire ?

Glass-Stegall anyone ? Enron loophole maybe ? FASB rules ?
SEC/Insurance/state regulators ?

Greed, a blind eye and lax regulations made by our government at the bequest of the capitalists with money got us here today.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
floridasandy wrote:
how would you trust a government that refused to prosecute the private sector crooks, even when informed about them? isn't there a lot of blame for the government as well in this whole mess?
I never said that I trust a government that refused to prosecute the private sector crooks, even when informed about them. I merely stated that I see the govenment as the lesser of two evils.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
floridasandy wrote:
I never said that I trust a government that refused to prosecute the private sector crooks, even when informed about them. I merely stated that I see the govenment as the lesser of two evils.
I disagree with you on that. The government modified the laws to loosen or remove restrictions and limitations. They basically let these companies "self-regulate". Even Greenspan admits it was a bad move.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
The one thing that's being overlooked in this thread is the efficiency that the US government can BORROW money...way easier than any other entity in the world. So even if they don't spend it as efficiently they can still come out ahead since their cost of capital is way lower than any other business in the world, not to mention their ability to influence markets in their favor.

I am not saying government spending is the solution to the problem but people frequently overlook this fact.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
The one thing that's being overlooked in this thread is the efficiency that the US government can BORROW money...way easier than any other entity in the world. So even if they don't spend it as efficiently they can still come out ahead since their cost of capital is way lower than any other business in the world, not to mention their ability to influence markets in their favor.

I am not saying government spending is the solution to the problem but people frequently overlook this fact.
they can authorizing the printing of money too, but that doesn't solve our problems. otherwise. we would just print up a bunch of money to fix it. the only real growth is through real jobs and real earnings.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-14-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
The one thing that's being overlooked in this thread is the efficiency that the US government can BORROW money...way easier than any other entity in the world.
And that can be the biggest problem as well. Who is there to say "NO, enough already..cut spending" ?

Thankfully the states cannot do what the Fed/Treasury can and just "create" out of thin air.

When you can just increase your debt limit you have no incentive to stick to your budget and make that budget work. I think the outrageous prices charged to the government and paid is a good example. The government has no "ceiling". Yes they can go to Congress but Congress is spending it as quick as they create it.

Each branch of the government provides the checks and balances but I think that goes out the window when they are all acting in concert.

Very few voices in Washington are screaming "Enough already".

Old 08-14-2009, 01:13 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that can be the biggest problem as well. Who is there to say "NO, enough already..cut spending" ?
The free market is there. Look, someone has to buy the US debt. If people didn't want to buy their debt then the free market would price it higher and it wouldn't make sense for such ridiculous amounts of borrowing.

I don't disagree with you that spending should be curtailed somewhat. But the free market is the one that lets the US get away with it, no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics