Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times

Advertisements

Looks like they will be available. Where can I get one?

Toshiba Builds 100x Smaller Micro Nuclear Reactor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:07 PM

49 posts, read 94,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
My Dad has always had an interest in alternative energy sources and crunched the numbers for adding solar to his house. Basically it would take 35 years to start getting free energy once the costs had been paid. That probably exceeded his expected life span so obviously isn't going that route.

Solar still has a long way to go and it will always be a supplement never a major source of power.
Here's a site Grid tie solar systems for homes that purports to sell a 7.29 kW system for about $28,000. Cost of installation might be another $12,000. The State of Florida will provide rebate of $20,000 for such a system and 30% of the left over cost can be written off federal taxes. That only leaves $14,000 total out of pocket. If the system reduces your electric bill by $140/month, then it pays for itself in 100 months (8.3 years). The system has a guarentee of 25 years. Solar may catch on someday with numbers like this.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska to Florida View Post
Here's a site Grid tie solar systems for homes that purports to sell a 7.29 kW system for about $28,000. Cost of installation might be another $12,000. The State of Florida will provide rebate of $20,000 for such a system and 30% of the left over cost can be written off federal taxes. That only leaves $14,000 total out of pocket. If the system reduces your electric bill by $140/month, then it pays for itself in 100 months (8.3 years). The system has a guarentee of 25 years. Solar may catch on someday with numbers like this.
Most of the states are broke or in deficits. And all that money comes from us the taxpayers. I don't think you'll see many of those programs in the future. How do you fund them?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
wannerroo wrote;
Quote:
Nuclear makes a lot more sense to me than a billion solar panels that need constant replacement, maintenance and repair. I'd rather go that route
Actually nuclear makes less sense than most other things. Despite politicians and media know-nothings (why do we listen to these guys on ANYTHING?) yelling; 'it's the fault of environmentalists that no nukes are being built", it's NOT TRUE.

The reason that no nuke plants are being built is based on decisions made by REALISTIC, CONSERVATIVE CAPITALISTS. Nuclear is the most expensive way to generate electricity.

If you want to get more electricity, cheaply and quickly then the way to go is CONSERVATION. No, I dont' mean, "let's all freeze in the dark" as many people think. I refer you to an article titled "Why We Need Never Build Another (??) Power Plant", written by (IIRC) the DOE or the Federal Renewable Energy Lab.

One reason that solar is not competitive is that right now our PROFITS from energy generation, specifically coal, are PRIVATE, but the LOSSES, specifically environmental damage, are PUBLIC. Make the coal and energy companies STOP POLLUTING and clean up their environmental damage, and solar gets more competitive.

BTW, in every house I've ever lived in (never owned a new one) I've RETROFITTED it to make it the most efficient house in my neighborhood. Typically I pay electric bills 35%-45% LOWER than my neighbors do.

Typically this is no more complex than INSULATING THE ATTIC. Many Americans live in southern, hot climates where their AIR CONDITIONING makes a large part of their electric bill. In much of the country 90% OF THE HEAT GAIN is through the roof. Yet people build houses in the south with R-13 OR LESS attic insulation. And then think that double pane windows will make a big difference! Idiots!

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics