Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
I hope so too.
It won't be a smooth transition, but it will happen sooner or later (later given government meddling in the economy that make it difficult for truly market-based alternative energy companies to take off).

But the key is trusting the markets to do their work. And therein lies the rub with our country's current state of affairs, unfortunately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,687,289 times
The peak oilers all have an agenda of power and control, nothing more.

Assuming for a moment it was announced that in five years there would not be a bit of oil left anywhere in the world. Well not a problem.

We have an endless supply of coal that can be converted. Ethanol technology works and has been dramatically improved. We have natural gas out the wazoo and it is not hard to convert your current car to natural gas(it's a common fuel in Australia). Algae fuels work and are quickly being refined. Algae eats CO2 and can be refined into biogasoline or biodiesel. Biodiesel can be grown or made from many different sources.

So there are really endless alternatives and algae fuels have the most potential to completely replace gasoline in cars in 10-20 years and there will be no need to go and find oil in the ground.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
50 MPG since 1976, no Dinosaurs or OPEC required (or food crops. Algae and waste cooking oil works fine (better than making it into Lipstick, Cosmetics is the usual product of lard)...)

Check your neighbor's brier patch. I've found several Rabbits (diesel ) that way. Many for under $100. Once you get two and park them next to each other, then you seem to get MORE (I only have 28, but I have a friend with over 100 )

Bad Rabbit Habit

Enough Rabbits could solve Peak Oil, and there are never enough Rabbits !

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,797,730 times
Don't worry about the rabbits multiplying too much Stealth. If they get too bad, you can turn them back into biofuel.

Shot, Frozen and Burnt: Sweden Turning Stray Rabbits Into Biofuel - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,922,642 times
well, there sure isn't peak oil right now since there are tankers stockpiling oil all over the place.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 AM

24,428 posts, read 23,088,846 times
Whatever happened to fusion as a potential energy source? Back as a kid in the 70s, that was the big hope for the future. Now we seem to be pushing very low tech alternative energy sources( solar, wind, bio fuels) which can be utilized but have limited efficiency or cost effectiveness. We just seem to be looking backward for answers.
I listen to Coast to Coast AM with George Noori and they have a theory that oil can replenish itself by geological processes in the earth. Do I believe that? I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure we have alot more oil than we think we do.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,829,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
-- peak production (not peak oil reserves) may be around mainly because of lack of develpment of infrastructure, which takes time and is expensive. It is not because we are about to run out of oil

Conspiracy theories are nice, but consider the source. Some people think Saudi actually under-reports reserves so that it is not a juicy target to outside powers. There is really no need to panic. However, no one can guarantee lack of short term fluctuations. A bigger problem is the oil prices going up because of the weakening dollar and this is not likely to stop anytime soon.
Do you ever wonder why there has been no new infrastructure built in the last 30 years? The refineries in my town (Salt Lake City) routinely catch fire and blow up because they are so old and worn out. If there really is a 100 years of oil left it would make sense to replace them and even build more. But the oil companies know there will only be less oil as time goes on, so they don't thow money away by building more.

Also, there are over 2 billion people aching to own and drive their own cars in rising countries like China and Inda, which will virtually guarantee oil consumption will continue to rise exponentially.

Oil will not completely disappear, but it won't be long before rising demand vs falling output makes oil completely uneconomical as a fuel source. This is not tin foil stuff, this is common sense. Meanwhile, the entire country is totally dependant on gas burning vehicles to function, and no real, practical alternative had been brought to light. Unless something major changes really soon, only the very wealthy will be driving in the near future.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,690,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Do you ever wonder why there has been no new infrastructure built in the last 30 years? The refineries in my town (Salt Lake City) routinely catch fire and blow up because they are so old and worn out. If there really is a 100 years of oil left it would make sense to replace them and even build more. But the oil companies know there will only be less oil as time goes on, so they don't thow money away by building more.

Also, there are over 2 billion people aching to own and drive their own cars in rising countries like China and Inda, which will virtually guarantee oil consumption will continue to rise exponentially.

Oil will not completely disappear, but it won't be long before rising demand vs falling output makes oil completely uneconomical as a fuel source. This is not tin foil stuff, this is common sense. Meanwhile, the entire country is totally dependant on gas burning vehicles to function, and no real, practical alternative had been brought to light. Unless something major changes really soon, only the very wealthy will be driving in the near future.
In the US, refineries are not being built because of local environmental regulations and NIMBY syndrome. Example articles:
A push to build new US refineries | csmonitor.com
U.S. refiners stretch to meet demand - Oil & energy- msnbc.com

The reason for no additional refineries is NOT the lack of oil or its running out. In fact, sometimes you can seel the petroleum price drop but the local gas price increases if there is an event in a refinery. Why would oil companies not build and leave profits to foreign companies who refine and keep these profits?

Last edited by calmdude; 11-17-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,217,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Whatever happened to fusion as a potential energy source? ....
They have yet to create a sustained controlled fusion reaction that lasts more than a second or so. Barring some sort of scientific breakthrough, it will probably be another 50 years before they get there.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I agree that peak oil (supply) is complete nonsense. There will come a day, probably in my lifetime (I'm 31) when oil will no longer be used for most transportation, but there will be plenty of it left in the ground for industrial purposes. Easy oil is, for the most part, over and done with, so once the cost of extracting what's left grows higher than the cost of alternatives, then the alternatives will take over. It's simple market economics.
Thank you for saying this. I was thinking the same thing. There are plenty alternatives out there. But they're going to squeeze as much relatively cheap oil out of the ground as they can before anyone bothers to perfect alternative technologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics