Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Do you understand the concept of living wage? Basically it is the wage needed to achieve a minimum standard of living in a particuliar area. Do you even have a comprehension of how many people are below this figure? Save money....they arent even making enough money to survive spending over 100% of their income.

Or, what about the people who are just treading water, who save every dime, and then they get laid off, and figure out, their life time savings was enough to carry them maybe 6 months.....so, what exactly do they do after they cant find a job paying living wage after that point?

You cant possibly be naive enough to believe that everybody is making enough to put away a comfy nest egg.
Also wanted to says thanks for the enlightenment. I am stupid, thats why I have done just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
It wouldn't because I plan for the worst and hope for the best. Try saving money. Its called personal responsibility.
I am all about personal responsibility.

But it has to, absolutely must start at the TOP.

Remember "trickle down"?

Personal responsibily is the CEO who will step up to the plate and renounce his bonus or pay increase this year in order to save 10, or 20 or 200 "regular" jobs.

Personal Responibility is the Banking/Wall Street Exec who will take his bonus this year and pay off or pay down a few of the "bad" mortgages his firm wrote during the bubble to keep a few American families in their homes.

Personal Responsibility is the Health Insurance Exec who will take a pay cut this year to make sure that insurance premiums remain affordable for all Americans.

Personal Responsibility is the American consumer who vows to at least try to buy products made in the U.S, of A. Yes, even if they cost more.

Some of us are still waiting to see if any of the Big Girls and Boys have the balls to do the responsible thing.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:42 PM

So you are going to wait around for someone else to do something?

Try this on for size. If I had waited around I would be whining right now also.

When I got out of high school I decided to go to college, no money, didn't get loans, no grant. I got two jobs, one from 6am to 10am washing dishes, the second job from 7pm to 11pm pumping gas. Yes personal responsibility, didn't wait for anyone else, did it myself.

Saved 5% of every paycheck for 20 years. No fancy cars and no fancy houses. Finished my BA degree in 2 1/2 years, went straight through summers etc.
Went to Law School with the same methodology. Retired at 41 years old, that was 20 years ago, saved for my own retirement, didn't count on the government or anyone else to take care of me or my family.
It, once again is personal responsibility, but I guess you have got to want it bad enough to go out and get it. I guess some just rather sit around and complain.

Yes you are correct listing all those that need to learn personal responsibility, but move on and control what you can in your life.

Last edited by BestintheWest; 03-05-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:

Try this on for size. If I had waited around I would be whining right now also.

When I got out of high school I decided to go to college, no money, didn't get loans, no grant. I got two jobs, one from 6am to 10am washing dishes, the second job from 7pm to 11pm pumping gas. Yes personal responsibility, didn't wait for anyone else, did it myself.

Saved 5% of every paycheck for 20 years. No fancy cars and no fancy houses. Finished my BA degree in 2 1/2 years, went straight through summers etc.
Went to Law School with the same methodology. Retired at 41 years old, that was 20 years ago, saved for my own retirement, didn't count on the government or anyone else to take care of me or my family.
It, once again is personal responsibility, but I guess you have got to want it bad enough to go out and get it. I guess some just rather sit around and complain.

Yes you are correct listing all those that need to learn personal responsibility, but move on and control what you can in your life.
You are out of date for the current world. Would your claimed methods have worked if you were required debt to do school, or if those bottom end jobs you claim were rare or difficult?

These are hard times for folks on the bottom and such callous disregard of them speaks very poorly of any awareness of this.

Further you totally ignore that you were fortunate enough to have good health. Medical bills are now a leading cause of personal bankruptcy.

It appears that you do not realize that you (and I) came up in era of Good Faith (or at least better faith) behavior by the top end. Where the insurance/medical-pharmco industry was not trying to lie-cheat-steal their way to greater profits. Where the non-profit and state colleges actually were operated to be non-profit and for the benefit of the communities they served.

Few kids now can do school based on low-end work, and much of America is just one illness away from being wiped out.

Lazy slackers, they are.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
good post. we shipped out all the high pay jobs and brought in 21 million mexican people w/o papers to do the low paid jobs. what is left?
you cant debt your way out of debt. we have ignored the principles of affluence.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You are out of date for the current world. Would your claimed methods have worked if you were required debt to do school, or if those bottom end jobs you claim were rare or difficult?

These are hard times for folks on the bottom and such callous disregard of them speaks very poorly of any awareness of this.

Further you totally ignore that you were fortunate enough to have good health. Medical bills are now a leading cause of personal bankruptcy.

It appears that you do not realize that you (and I) came up in era of Good Faith (or at least better faith) behavior by the top end. Where the insurance/medical-pharmco industry was not trying to lie-cheat-steal their way to greater profits. Where the non-profit and state colleges actually were operated to be non-profit and for the benefit of the communities they served.

Few kids now can do school based on low-end work, and much of America is just one illness away from being wiped out.

Lazy slackers, they are.
well thanks for straightening me out.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
We need to live more like people do in other countries.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Try what a lot of people have done. If it requires it find two minimum wage jobs. Don't buy cars or houses you cannot afford. Save what you can for a rainy day. It can be done, you just have to want it.
A lot of people can;t find ONE minimum wage, much less two.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:

What, pray tell, in my post, made you assume I had done otherwsise?

I am, in many ways, very very very old (fashioned).

Noblesse oblige????

The more I am given, the more I owe.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
It is sad that New Balance is the only athletic shoe company still producing in the USA. This is the problem with the American economy nothing more, we have allowed our politicians to send our jobs overseas and we have converted to a country of consumers and not producers.

YouTube - New Balance: "Made in the USA"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics