Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
ultrarunner...do not sugarcoat the facts hollywood style,be realist.....read the facts in internet,how many children in usa are really withouht insurrance:

Health Insurance Coverage: 2005 - Highlights (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/hlthins/hlthin05/hlth05asc.html - broken link)

face the facts,do not deny them...pretending in your county everything is fine..oh well,guess what?in usa not all the children are happy covered...and if you do not believe me,make some research and you will find out,how many kids in usa are really not covered and do not get properly medical insurance..

we have the same alkohool tax and so on in germany too..so if you factor this way,you will find teh same components in germany too,which makes for certain german people (with high incomes) the percentage much higher ...rich people should pay everywhere much more,my opinion...like it or not..and yes,i belong to this category,i am from family not poor,i have no debts and i do not mind give a little more...so chidlren can have an insurance...
Don't get me wrong... I love Germany and loved my time working there and made many life-long friends... it's just that many Germans are so 100% on things they really know nothing or very little about when it comes to America.

Last year a parish priest was more than enthusiastic about the election of President Obama... he was dismayed when I said he would have to ask me in a couple of years what I thought about the Obama presidency. There was almost dancing in the streets over his election... yes, I'm exaggerating... but not by much... give the man a chance to prove himself and then celebrate.

A former German collegue with a PHD in aeronautical engineering actually told me that he wouldn't be surprised if President Bush refused to step-down at the end of his term... this is a very highly educated man and he thought Bush could simply decide to remain president... I sometimes wonder what you guys across the pond get your information.

I still remember during one of my visits being asked many questions about Michael Moore and what a brilliant American he is???

I live in Alameda County and have 19 years in the medical field... that's fact... Don't know how many ways I can say it... Children in Alameda County have Health Insurance... it costs as little as $4 a month... or a $1 dollar a week... can't get any cheaper than a dollar a week.

Everyone in my county, especially those with modest means have the availability of affordable Health Insurance.

Here is the word for word description with added emphasis from the County Website:

The Healthy Families Program is available through the Alliance for $4-12 per child, with a maximum of $36 per household per month.

There are $5 co-payments for office visits, prescription medicine, and emergency room services, with a limit of $250 per family per benefit year.

There are no copayments for immunizations and preventative care.

The program serves children who are U.S. citizens, nationals, or eligible qualified immigrants.

And here's the link: Health Plans

My information is current... not from 2005. The numbers are real and I see these patients on a daily basis.

Many children pay the minimum of $4 a month for full coverage... and again, no one... repeat no one can be denied Emergency Room care in this country.

Low Income families in my county also have a myriad of programs in addition the Alliance Health Care.

Section 8/Voucher Housing means that some families pay less than $50 a month for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home.

AFDC and General Assistance means families without income receive monthly income...

So many say Americans are going to bed hungry and at the same time obesity is the bigest threat to children... which is it?

If you have Section 8 housing or recieve monetary assistance you also are eligible for life line telephone service, discounted Electricity, Water, Gas, school lunch, food bank, low cost bus passes, taxi vouchers for medical appointments, legal aid, disability assistance to provide medical devices such as wheel chairs, special telephones, even vehicles with special equipment so disabled people can get around... California even has a program to pay for car repairs if you are low income and your car doesn't pass the emission test.

California had disabled parking years before Europe... my Doctor friend visiting from AKH Hospital in Vienna said the United States is much more advanced when it comes to assisting disabled individuals... she visited in 1995... fifteen years ago!

The problem is, no offense meant... is so many people, especially those in foreign countries are fed incorrect information and the people believe it!

I can't tell how many myths and rumors I had to dispel about America when I was working in Europe.

One of my collegues was criticizing us for not doing more to curb auto pollution... I had to tell him that California has had lead free gasoline since 1973 and banned the importation of European Diesel cars because they were too dirty to pass California's strict environmental standards... he was born in 1980... so even before he was born... CA was already much more advanced than Germany on vehicle emission... We also had bumper standards that German vehicles could not meet without modification... the list goes on... it's just that many in foreign countries don't know or refuse to learn the way things really are...

I welcome the opportunity to enlighten...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-01-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

223 posts, read 169,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The problem is many here already pay more than the 50.5% tax...

When I worked in Germany and Austria... my collegues were taken back at American Property Tax... so don't forget that when factoring into the tax burden... and then there is the sales tax, state income tax, utility tax, telcom tax, excise tax, use tax, alcohol tax, fuel taxes... well, you get my drift...

I work in Health Care and no child in my county goes without Health Care... it is just another example of failure in understanding.

First, no one, by law can be denied emergency care in this county... it is the law.

Second, counties like mine provide Health Insurance for children at no cost to the parents if the parents cannot afford it.

Third, I personally know of a teenage mother that gave birth to a child with a heart defect... that child received the best medical care at Stanford Hospital... the cost of the procedures amounted to over a million dollars and required months of hospitalization... now the 8 year old child is just like any other healthy 8 year old.
Who in the US pays more than 50.5% in taxes?
Income tax and the rest on what you buy/own.
Don't buy anything and you're fine.

My taxes (and I own more than one house) are reasonable, but I chose to live in a reasonably priced area.

Most of your taxes are lifestyle choices, aren't they?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post

My taxes (and I own more than one house) are reasonable, but I chose to live in a reasonably priced area.

inflation is not a lifestyle choice. when a government prints a bunch of money, it dilutes the value of the money and FORCES a tax on all americans.
INFLATON, THE HIDDEN TAX

When extra money is printed up and put into circulation, it costs the government very little. The only cost is that of printing. Each paper bill of any denomination from $1 To $1,000 or more costs less than fifty cents to manufacture. So it is almost free money for the government.
They just run the printing press and it suddenly exists. It seems like they can create value out of nothing. It is wonderful for the government, which is why most governments do it all the time.
The government can then lavish the money on all their favorite projects without worrying about the people complaining, because the money seems to be “free”.
However, it is not free. What it does is to slowly dilute the money that is in existence already, like diluting the milk in the analogy above. So all the money the people already have, including all their savings, salaries and all the rest, slowly start to be worth less. In this sense, inflation is a very hidden tax, or way the government confiscates the people’s real wealth.

the whole article is well worth reading.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:

When it comes right down to it... Isn't everything a lifestyle choice?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,882 times
for ultrarunner...alameda county is not all usa...if you are so lightened,explain me the facts in this articles,also the facts about children insurance:

What's Wrong with America's Health Care (http://www.aflcio.org/issues/healthcare/whatswrong/ - broken link)
http://www.familiesusa.org/resources...insurance.html

were they written by a german???hmmmm..i do not think so...and many other reports on health insurance in net....it looks like the other americans are better informed then you regarding children with no insurance...you see only alameda,but guess what alameda county not equal usa...!!...many americans just not want to face the facts,i know,truth hurts,but try to live in relaity...not in a everything is fine bubble!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
for ultrarunner...alameda county is not all usa...if you are so lightened,explain me the facts in this articles,also the facts about children insurance:

What's Wrong with America's Health Care (http://www.aflcio.org/issues/healthcare/whatswrong/ - broken link)
One out of Three: Kids without Health Insurance

were they written by a german???hmmmm..i do not think so...and many other reports on health insurance in net....it looks like the other americans are better informed then you regarding children with no insurance...you see only alameda,but guess what alameda county not equal usa...!!...many americans just not want to face the facts,i know,truth hurts,but try to live in relaity...not in a everything is fine bubble!!!
You're not paying attention

Oh, your link, One out of Three: Kids without Health Insurance is from 1996

AND

Your other link, What's Wrong with America's Health Care (http://www.aflcio.org/issues/healthcare/whatswrong/ - broken link) is from the AFLCIO... whose members are probably the best insured outside of those working in Government... the AFLCIO offers the Cadillac Health Plans the President has spoken about.

And... for the record, Alameda County has nearly 1.5 million residents... larger than some European Countries.

Here is exactly what I said, "I live in Alameda County and have 19 years in the medical field... that's fact... Don't know how many ways I can say it... Children in Alameda County have Health Insurance... it costs as little as $4 a month... or a $1 dollar a week... can't get any cheaper than a dollar a week.

Everyone in my county, especially those with modest means have the availability of affordable Health Insurance."

You need to stop treating everything the "Michael Moore's" of the world have to say as fact.

I'm not blaming you personally... media coverage of American is non-stop in the Western European Countries I lived in... even the parish priest has something to say about American Politics The ORF hourly news led off each broadcast with, "Washington or USA" and then had some story about the foreign minister, the President or Secretary of State... I can honestly say American news has little to say about German Politics and certainly not on an hourly, daily or even weekly basis.

I'm a little embarrasses to admit this... far too many of my co-workers thought Arnold Schwarzenegger was from Australia and not Austria

Americans, by and large do not have the fixation over Europe as Europeans do over America... it is understandable since so many Europeans over the years have fled to America to make a better life...

I would never dream of telling Germans how to run Germany... just wish more Germans would stop telling Americans how to run America.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-08-2010 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM

223 posts, read 169,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
inflation is not a lifestyle choice. when a government prints a bunch of money, it dilutes the value of the money and FORCES a tax on all americans.
INFLATON, THE HIDDEN TAX

When extra money is printed up and put into circulation, it costs the government very little. The only cost is that of printing. Each paper bill of any denomination from $1 To $1,000 or more costs less than fifty cents to manufacture. So it is almost free money for the government.
They just run the printing press and it suddenly exists. It seems like they can create value out of nothing. It is wonderful for the government, which is why most governments do it all the time.
The government can then lavish the money on all their favorite projects without worrying about the people complaining, because the money seems to be “free”.
However, it is not free. What it does is to slowly dilute the money that is in existence already, like diluting the milk in the analogy above. So all the money the people already have, including all their savings, salaries and all the rest, slowly start to be worth less. In this sense, inflation is a very hidden tax, or way the government confiscates the people’s real wealth.

You're paying 50.5% or more in basic taxes?
Really?
You're using a lot of "cans" in your discussion. Not that they do, but that they "can."

Old 04-07-2010, 09:29 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Quote:
You're paying 50.5% or more in basic taxes?
Really?
You're using a lot of "cans" in your discussion. Not that they do, but that they "can."
When working I paid ~7% SS, ~25% income tax, I paid property taxes equivalent to ~10% of my income, I paid sales tax ~8%, and paid for goods and services that had plenty of taxes imbedded in the price.

The tax systems in this country need reform but not additional taxes.

The bottom line is that we already transfer too much of our wealth to government bureaucrats to spend and redistribute. We do not need make it easier for them reduce productivity in this country.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
INFLATON, THE HIDDEN TAX

I didn’t click on your link but I did read about rob Peter to pay Paul, & inflation tax awhile back. IMO if people had equity in their house, money in the bank & not absurdly in debt the government wouldn’t need to print money all the time. I understand & appreciate the concern about the FED/Gov’t mishaps but too many irresponsible citizens are the enablers. It’s amazing the complaints about taxes but no complaints about corporations’ manufactured demand:

Years ago customers’ paid extra to have touch-tone service; meanwhile this service gave the phone companies new ways to make money. Only after the touch-tone paying customers reached a saturation point did touch-tone service become available to everyone—all’s fair in love & war!

Now if the customers’ told the phone companies to wait a minute, touch-tone service is advantageous to both of us. Therefore we, the customer, will stick with rotary service until you, the phone company, withdraw your touch-tone TAX.

The people need to scrutinize/participate in supply & demand economics.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
I didn’t click on your link but I did read about rob Peter to pay Paul, & inflation tax awhile back. IMO if people had equity in their house, money in the bank & not absurdly in debt the government wouldn’t need to print money all the time. I understand & appreciate the concern about the FED/Gov’t mishaps but too many irresponsible citizens are the enablers. It’s amazing the complaints about taxes but no complaints about corporations’ manufactured demand:

Years ago customers’ paid extra to have touch-tone service; meanwhile this service gave the phone companies new ways to make money. Only after the touch-tone paying customers reached a saturation point did touch-tone service become available to everyone—all’s fair in love & war!

Now if the customers’ told the phone companies to wait a minute, touch-tone service is advantageous to both of us. Therefore we, the customer, will stick with rotary service until you, the phone company, withdraw your touch-tone TAX.

The people need to scrutinize/participate in supply & demand economics.
I don't buy it... literally and figuratively... no one can make you buy something... well, I guess the goverment is going to make us buy Health Insurance

I still have a rotary phone, no cable, own the car I bought for $800 back in High School... I'm typing on a 12 year old computer with Windows 98.

People, by and large, do what they want... my hat's off to corps that can really make a product with such appeal that consumers willing flock to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics