Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 AM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,800 times

Advertisements

President Obama's value-added trillion: America's ripe for a European-style sales tax (http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/columnists/krauthammer/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
They had better be to fund those being dumped inot medicaid in future years under this healthcare bill with rising state cost in funding their part. Exactly why mnay democrats tried to get a deal on thier states share.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Much higher taxes are inevitable. We're on a collision course with catastrophe. Even if Obama ends up vilified, he will have succeeded in destroying what made America different from Europe, and we'll be a European-style social democracy with entitlements that impoverish us and transfer most of the income from working people to those who don't work. I doubt we'll ever have the balls to reverse this trend. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:28 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Much higher taxes are inevitable. We're on a collision course with catastrophe. Even if Obama ends up vilified, he will have succeeded in destroying what made America different from Europe, and we'll be a European-style social democracy with entitlements that impoverish us and transfer most of the income from working people to those who don't work. I doubt we'll ever have the balls to reverse this trend. I hope I'm wrong.
Well I'm guessing most of us will be dead when things really get ugly.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Well I'm guessing most of us will be dead when things really get ugly.
I don't know. It may come sooner, and more suddenly, than we think.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:51 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless.

"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth."

- Barack Obama

Barack "Community Organizer" Obama, it should be.

Anybody believe this pie-in-the-sky crap??

Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't know. It may come sooner, and more suddenly, than we think.
it is already coming.
The Market Ticker

and this:

Assuming Treasury continues to try to shove toward the short end of the curve, a strategy that exposes it to extreme amounts of rollover risk, the average coupon would likely rise to about 5.5%.

This would drive interest expense to $780 billion by September 2011.

Note that if historical averages hold, Treasury would take in roughly $1.2 trillion in personal income taxes. Interest expense would rise to consume approximately 2/3rds of that amount.

Let's further consider that interest expense would be about 80% of the entire budget deficit of fiscal 2011.

if the US government has been reduced to borrowing money from itself in order to pay its bills – the end of that road could be in sight. it is the exact equivalent of paying household bills by running up debt on credit cards; it can buy a little time, but at the cost of making bankruptcy a certainty once that time runs out.

our government has managed our money very badly, indeed.

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-28-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless.

"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth."

- Barack Obama

Barack "Community Organizer" Obama, it should be.

Anybody believe this pie-in-the-sky crap??
I sure don't.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
At this point why is this thread not on the Politics and Controversies area?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
because it is a discussion of finance and taxation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics