Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal to blow a whistle in their ear when they call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,917 times
I was called by Allied yesterday and gave them my credit card # to pay off a $43.88 debt for old AOL services...Am I at risk for anything?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkman View Post
I was called by Allied yesterday and gave them my credit card # to pay off a $43.88 debt for old AOL services...Am I at risk for anything?
You should ask asked for a PFD. Pay for a deletion. You just added more time onto them reporting this by paying them. When you pay one of these companies they will move your 7 year reporting date from the date of payment from the last date you paid them your last payment.

Call them back and asked them if they will agree to delete since your paid them. Ask for a letter stating so.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangelz430 View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is illegal for a collection agency to put debts they say you owe on your credit report before you have been informed they have obtained your account from the origional creditor? I ran into this I was checking my credit report and found 3 accounts listed under statewide credit that I owed according to them before I received the letters from them about these bills..
Not illegal for them to report it. Is illegal for them to report it after you ask them for full and complete validation of the debt.
You have 30 days to send them a validation letter from the date you received the letter, after that you will have problems getting rid of them because in a sense you just agreed that this bill is yours by not responding.

** IMPORTANT ** for everyone!

You must respond to every single dunning letter you get within 30 days of your receiving their letter. Letter stating that you do not owe the debt and for them to send you full documentation to prove that you owe it.

Google Validation letters to get an idea of what to send them.

If you did not send them this letter then you need to get them out asap and send them certified mail with a signature.

There are ways you can check your credit daily or monthly for around 12.00 per month. Very well worth it if you are fighting anything or anyone in collections etc.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkman View Post
Naw, tell them you talked to me, and AOL owes me money they refuse to refund. (They really do). I will just do a debt swap with you and we will all call it even. If they cannot follow that, tell them debt swaps are the new thing.

jmho, I would not send them a thin dime.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,618 times
Okay, so I'm really worried now. They just called me at work about a debt I have. I never agrred to it buy I did confirm my address and my husbands name. What should I do? I yelled at them and told them to never call me here again.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,588 times
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Fair Debt Collection Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act provides the consumer with a wide range of protection. But the sad truth is many consumers no little about these laws. Debt collectors should know and in fact do know these laws and the limits placed on them as result of the above mention laws.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Also federal law allows you to record telephone conversations along as you inform the caller that you are doing so and that you give them a chance to opt out of the call. In every instance thus far they have hung up refusing to continue.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]In addition the law requires that every claim made by a debt collector be proven. That is the law requires the collector to provide on request either before any court action or in court that the debt is valid. They must produce signed documents, such as the credit card agreement, loan agreement or any signed document tying the consumer to the debt.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]If served by a sheriff or marshal with papers, file an answer and dispute the claim. If you answer in writing they can not get a judgment without a hearing. Go to court it, cost nothing for you to appear. Fight them!! Have them produce documents with your signature before the judge or magistrate. The debt collector wins 90 to 95 % of all claims in court by consumers failing to answer. They win by default. If they can not produce the documents, you win.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Send a Cease and Desist letter as allowed by law. Send it return receipt requested. Demand that they cease all calls and communication and demand proof of the debt.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Most debts claimed by these bottom feeders are old debts that have been charged off by the creditor, are outside the statute of limitations or both. They buy up old data bases containing a list of debts, debt amounts and the name of the debtor. Hire a sleazebag local attorney to file court actions. The original paperwork is long lost, that is actual signed documents no longer exist. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Never agree to any settlement offer, keep a log of all calls with the date and time of the call. Get names!! Always if mailing any thing to them, mail return receipt requested making them sign for it. When possible record all telephone calls. Contact your Attorney General in your state. File a counter claim and seek damages against them for violating federal laws. Some fines are as high as $2500.00 per violation. Send letters to all credit reporting agencies disputing the claim. They are also subject to federal law and must report on your file that the claim is disputed. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 10,588 times
Default Cease and Desist letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry83 View Post
Okay, so I'm really worried now. They just called me at work about a debt I have. I never agrred to it buy I did confirm my address and my husbands name. What should I do? I yelled at them and told them to never call me here again.
Send them a letter stating that you are not allowed to have calls of this nature a work and they are to cease calling. This is allowed under Fair Debt Collection Act. Once the letter is sent and they continue to call you they violate the law. You can then file a complaint for the violation and get fines paid to you for that violation. Make sure you send it return receipt requested and have them sign for it. A green post card will be returned to bt the Post Office indicating date and time the letter was sent or if they refused it. If they refuse to sign this will be in your favor aswell.

I am not a lawyer. But I am a well informed consumer and have read both the Fair Debt Collection Act, the Fair Credit Reporting act and the Fair Trade Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act and know my rights and protections.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 10,144 times
I am being contacted by a man claiming to be with a company called PACESTAR INTERNATIONAL he said if I do not set up a payment with him by 3 pm today I was going to be sued over a "debt" for $800 something with a cell phone company. I asked him to mail me something so I would have some info to look at and he said he could not do that, that he could email me something so I let him and it is on a notepad that I could write up and send to anyone. I also called the cell phone company in question and they said there is a bill of $537.81 past due from 9/2006. That I could even come into the store to pay it instead of dealing with a collector. The man from the PACESTAR INTERNATIONAL says his last name is one thing and women answering the phone said it is something else???What should I do? Please help

Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,144 times
WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN????????

Ohio Statutes of Limitation [INDENT]Written or oral account: 6 years, (O.R.C. §2305.07).

Written contract: 15 years, (O.R.C. §2305.06).

Oral contract: 6 years (O.R.C. §2305.07).

Note payable at a definite time: 6 years, (O.R.C. § 1303 .16(A)); (2)).

Demand note: 6 years after the date on which demand is made or 10 years if no demand is made and neither principal nor interest has been paid over that time (O.R.C. §1303.16(B)).

Dishonored check or draft: 3 years after dishonor, (O.R.C. §1303.16 (C)).
[/INDENT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics