Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times

Advertisements

I realized that it is a much different world than it was when *I* was five years old. However, I cannot recall any conversation during my formative years that involved sex, or sexual preferences, rather.

Yes, there were the "girl things" and "boy things" which IMO normal. But there was no bullying. Again, I am couching this response with what happened 50 years ago, so I might be somewhat out of touch.

I feel that this kind of thing is again, the responsibility of the parent and not the school. Because there are parents out there who do not take their role seriously, the government now legislates (and pays for), children to be taught values that the government thinks is important and may be contradictory to the values of the parent.

If I had a child, and if this was the kind of garbage that was going on in my child's classroom, I would yank him/her out of there faster than you can say Jack Robinson. I do NOT believe that the transgenderfication of children can do anything but harm, especially when cleverly camouflaged as a "bullying" class when, in fact, that is NOT the agenda that is being preached.

Children need strong parental guidance and reinforcement of family values that are consistent with their beliefs. If you allow a school to take over this important job you will have a generation of kids more screwed up than they already are.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-01-2011, 02:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,328,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Ultimately, it's both. I am well aware that kids with "traditional values" (whatever that means) commit suicide. Just not nearly at the rate that alternate gender identity kids do. Not even close.

It's nearly impossible to find successful suicide rate data which is broken down by gender identity, since police and coroner's reports do not account for it. Attempted suicide rate is considered to be an accurate means to estimate that:

Study links social environment to high attempted suicide rates among gay youth

Clearly it's a distinct problem for LGBT youth. The difference in statistics is stark enough to warrant extra action.
Anti-bullying measures should be for ALL kids, not just "LGBT" youth (whatever that means). All kids are at risk for bullying, and ultimately suicide. I'm not a fan of segmenting the population.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,286,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Anti-bullying measures should be for ALL kids, not just "LGBT" youth (whatever that means). All kids are at risk for bullying, and ultimately suicide. I'm not a fan of segmenting the population.
It should be for all kids, I agree. This particular program is just a part of a larger program. Sometimes certain things need clarification or extra emphasis. Considering some of the comments posted (mostly in the companion thread over in P&OC), this needs some extra help.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I realized that it is a much different world than it was when *I* was five years old. However, I cannot recall any conversation during my formative years that involved sex, or sexual preferences, rather.

Yes, there were the "girl things" and "boy things" which IMO normal. But there was no bullying. Again, I am couching this response with what happened 50 years ago, so I might be somewhat out of touch.

I feel that this kind of thing is again, the responsibility of the parent and not the school. Because there are parents out there who do not take their role seriously, the government now legislates (and pays for), children to be taught values that the government thinks is important and may be contradictory to the values of the parent.

If I had a child, and if this was the kind of garbage that was going on in my child's classroom, I would yank him/her out of there faster than you can say Jack Robinson. I do NOT believe that the transgenderfication of children can do anything but harm, especially when cleverly camouflaged as a "bullying" class when, in fact, that is NOT the agenda that is being preached.

Children need strong parental guidance and reinforcement of family values that are consistent with their beliefs. If you allow a school to take over this important job you will have a generation of kids more screwed up than they already are.

20yrsinBranson
This was my experience, too. Heck, I was a tomboy who really only did "boy things." Yet, no one at school had a problem with it, and the boys who were a little more feminine were not made fun of.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,895,445 times
-How about just kicking the bullies out of school? It seems like that would kill 3 or 4 birds with one stone.

1st - It'll reduce class sizes
2nd - Smart, motivated students will get more individualized attention. That's what they need. Why would you spend as much time with bullies as you would your smart and motivated students? It makes no sense.

3rd - Very violent, dangerous bullies (the kind that have some real "problems"), send them to China for 6 months or Vietnam or Indonesia, etc. Get them out of the babied american culture. I would think many american bullies (from 6th to 8th grade) would think twice about what they do if they saw real hardship in the world. The way people use to be on a chain gang or something. Get them out of this video game, la la suburbia.

Then to re-enter american schools, let them give a talk about what they did and saw on their trip abroad. I think some bullying is just boredom from suburbia. It wouldn't solve every case, but you've got to shake kids out of their computer, tv lull.

4th - The smart, motivated students could concentrate better and probably do better.

Something is wrong when you have anti loitering rules at a bookstore say, or public place. But the "loitering" goes on for 12 years in school? The rules and the standards should be much higher in a "school" than in a store that's open from 9-5.

-If it starts replacing family values....the gay/transgender cirriculum is going too far. Kids now should get some contrast to what was taught 30-50 years ago so they can decide if they want to believe in something or not. Let them make up their own minds. But don't force it.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Do you think this is appropriate for elementary school? Necessary? Is it what you were expecting the new mandated anti-bullying public school program to be like? Do you think it is intrusive? Potentially confusing and dangerous to young minds? Do you think its worth the $$$ at a time teachers are being laid off? Do you think it will stop any perceived bullying? Do you think the schools should have the right to decide when and how this type of information is presented to our children?

Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity

"Parents were advised of the lesson plan weeks ago, but the curriculum was not something their children could opt out of as they can with sex and AIDS education, district officials said."
"All state schools are required to have a specific plan to address safety and other issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity."
lessons in gender diversity[/url]

Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson at California School Riles Critics - FoxNews.com

"The lessons were presented by an outside anti-bullying educational group called Gender Spectrum, paid for with a $1,500 grant from the California Teachers Union."
"Joel Baum, director of education and training for Gender Spectrum, taught the classes. In the kindergarten class he asked the 5- and 6-year-olds to identify if a toy was a "girl toy" or a "boy toy" or both. He also asked which students liked the color pink, prompting many to raise their hands, to which he responded that that boys can like pink, too."

Read more: Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson at California School Riles Critics - FoxNews.com
Calif. School Tells Elementary Students There Are More Than 2 Gender ‘Options’ | The Blaze

"A gender expert and trainer was brought in to speak to the children:"

“[There's] a lot of variation in nature. Evolution comes up with some pretty funny ways for animals to reproduce. It turns out that there are not just two options.”
"The trainer also told the children that this diversity applies to human beings as well. It is this rationale — that gender is pliable and that there are “more than two options” — that has some people frustrated."

I think it is a waste of money and time and it is a potentially dangerous social experiment. I think schools should spend their time teaching academics and not using our children as guinea pigs in this social experiment. I also don't think it will help with any "bullying."
This is why I'm opposed to my state joining a national curriculum. It'll turn my state's school into a liberal social engineering platform. I believe education should be more than just a tool of the federal government.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,278,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
This is why I'm opposed to my state joining a national curriculum. It'll turn my state's school into a liberal social engineering platform. I believe education should be more than just a tool of the federal government.
Yes. You are correct. That is exactly what is happening. Unfortunately, the National Curriculum is becoming a necessity for all states. This "faux" anti-bullying program will soon be mandatory in all states and it is a "no opt out" class, meaning parents are not given the option to not have their child attend the class and if the child is kept home that day or misses it for whatever reason, there will be a mandatory make-up lesson.

The rest of the National Curriculum is becoming a necessity for all states to participate in due to Federal Funds being tied to compliance with it and Tests, including college entrance exams like the SAT being rewritten to reflect what is presented in the "National Curriculum," which infiltrates all academic courses, including math and literature as well as the obvious ones like civics and history with the liberal agenda.

If you want to read more, I recommend:

[b]America's Schools: The BattleGround for Freedo[/B]m by Allen Quist

Fed Ed:The New Federal Curriculum and How its Enforced by Allen Quist

The left has latched onto an old tried and true indoctrination strategy which unethically uses children to achieve their goals. Hitler used it with his Brown Shirts. We must do whatever we can to put an end to this take over of our children's minds by the government. Students should be taught academics in school with as little bias as is possible. Children should not be used to try to sway public opinion or change the status quo as has been argued by the left in these threads even if some people think they are fighting a just cause. The ends do NOT justify the means. Let adults argue/debate it out. Stop using the kids.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Yes. You are correct. That is exactly what is happening. Unfortunately, the National Curriculum is becoming a necessity for all states. This "faux" anti-bullying program will soon be mandatory in all states and it is a "no opt out" class, meaning parents are not given the option to not have their child attend the class and if the child is kept home that day or misses it for whatever reason, there will be a mandatory make-up lesson.

The rest of the National Curriculum is becoming a necessity for all states to participate in due to Federal Funds being tied to compliance with it and Tests, including college entrance exams like the SAT being rewritten to reflect what is presented in the "National Curriculum," which infiltrates all academic courses, including math and literature as well as the obvious ones like civics and history with the liberal agenda.

If you want to read more, I recommend:

[b]America's Schools: The BattleGround for Freedo[/B]m by Allen Quist

Fed Ed:The New Federal Curriculum and How its Enforced by Allen Quist

The left has latched onto an old tried and true indoctrination strategy which unethically uses children to achieve their goals. Hitler used it with his Brown Shirts. We must do whatever we can to put an end to this take over of our children's minds by the government. Students should be taught academics in school with as little bias as is possible. Children should not be used to try to sway public opinion or change the status quo as has been argued by the left in these threads even if some people think they are fighting a just cause. The ends do NOT justify the means. Let adults argue/debate it out. Stop using the kids.
not just hitler.

Che guevara

Quote:
................Intellectuals Not Authentically Revolutionary
To sum up, the fault of many of our intellectuals and artists is to be found in their "original sin": they are not authentically revolutionary. We can attempt to graft elm trees so that they bear pears, but at the same time we must plant pear trees. The new generations will arrive free of "original sin." The likelihood that exceptional artists will arise will be that much greater because of the enlargement of the cultural field and the possibilities for expression. Our job is to keep the present generation, maladjusted by its conflicts, from becoming perverted and perverting the new generations. We do not want to create salaried workers docile to official thinking nor "fellows" who live under the wing of the budget, exercising freedom in quotation marks. Revolutionaries will come to sing to song of the new man with the authentic voice of the people. It is a process that requires time.

In our society the youth and the Party play a big role. The former is particularly important because it is the malleable clay with which the new man, without any of the previous defects, can be formed. Youth receives treatment in consonance with our aspirations. Education is increasingly integral and we do not neglect the incorporation of the students into work from the very beginning. Our scholarship students do physical work during vacation or together with their studies. In some cases work is a prize, while in others it is an educational tool; it is never a punishment. A new generation is born...........

Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
I wish parents would do their jobs and teach their kids how to be polite and respectful even in the face of something they don't understand or agree with...THEN the schools could get back to teaching what they're supposed to be teaching.

You have a problem with anti-bullying teaching in schools? Well, point your fingers at the lazy-ass or bigot parents...not the liberals (and I am usually ALL ABOUT pointing fingers at liberals).

Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,278,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wish parents would do their jobs and teach their kids how to be polite and respectful even in the face of something they don't understand or agree with...THEN the schools could get back to teaching what they're supposed to be teaching.

You have a problem with anti-bullying teaching in schools? Well, point your fingers at the lazy-ass or bigot parents...not the liberals (and I am usually ALL ABOUT pointing fingers at liberals).
"Do as I say; not as I do?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education