Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,439,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a discussion on the parenting board about the "mompetition". I am reposting this video for all those who can't quit bragging on their own kids in this discussion.
That was beyond awesome - because of how true and sad it is.

I can say, in all honesty, that I don't have any REAL friends among moms with children my age. I have some "sort-of" friends but none that I would consider myself close to - exactly because of the inevitably competitive vibes I always get when in their presence.

I think parents today are losing their minds - and I might just be losing mine along with them.

My best friends remain my sister (unmarried, childless) and an older childless couple.

Parenting may have always been a bit competitive (in a healthy and natural way), but what is going on today beats anything that has ever been; and it's toxic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,431 times
Quote:
There is a discussion on the parenting board about the "mompetition". I am reposting this video for all those who can't quit bragging on their own kids in this discussion.
This is fifteen kinds of awesome.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
This is really rude. I don't see people here as bragging. I see people here saying why the American educational system is not working well for their children. It's true that often above average kids are screwed in American public schools. It really depends on where you live. Parents should be able to vent about it without being told they are in a mompetition and bragging about their kids.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Were you implying that my son was sitting at his desk all day doing absolutely nothing?
I'm saying that it is often what happens. It's what is happening to my niece, happening to people I know (from different regions), and what happened to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You know, I don't think there is a real solution here. Leave them where they are and you risk boredom. Move them and you risk having them socially out of place like my dd is now later on. Leave them where they are and they may quit trying. Push them ahead and they may rise to the level of their incompetence and quit trying. Unfortunately, we can't write an individual track for every kid out there.
In many systems there aren't solutions. That's why we're trying to get my niece into the private school, but it's full. She may be stuck at her school again next year because there are no other options. The options would be different if she were my kid, but she isn't.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
This is really rude. I don't see people here as bragging. I see people here saying why the American educational system is not working well for their children. It's true that often above average kids are screwed in American public schools. It really depends on where you live. Parents should be able to vent about it without being told they are in a mompetition and bragging about their kids.
I'm not talking about the OP, actually. When I first wrote this post, I actually quoted someone whose bragging about his/her kids' "All A's", etc I find excessively boastful. I decided that was a bit too personal, so I decided to be more general. There's a fine line between being proud of your kids and bragging all the time about them.

I have no problem with people wanting to know how to get special services for their kids such as Talented and Gifted programs, etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 AM

285 posts, read 493,038 times
Quote:
I would be willing to have him tutored or provide home school opportunities, but I am concerned about this producing MORE boredom if he gets further ahead.
Quote:
He has not complained about being bored in math but he does finish very quickly.
There is a GT program at the school and he made the cut in terms of intelligence but narrowly missed on the creativity measures.
One suggestion that comes to my mind is to get him into some "horizontal" enrichment. Rather than moving him on to the next thing and the next thing, you can show him how to explore other challenging, creative areas. For example, in math, he might enjoy working with tangrams or pentominos to build figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education