Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,506 times

Advertisements

Also, where would be a good place to find a tutor? A college or high school? I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Also, where would be a good place to find a tutor? A college or high school? I have no idea.
How about the teachers at the school or another area elementary school? Our office keeps a list of teachers who tutor privately. Once a week I tutor a 5th grader from another school.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:15 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
I don't know what method they are using but the one thing I do know is that she is taught 5 or so different ways to multiply and she gets everything confused in her head. I spoke with her teacher and was told that unfortunatley this is what they have to do and a lot of these different ways will be on the state test. I let her teacher know that my daughter is a simple learner. If you teach her one or even maybe two ways to figure the answer and use those methods consistantly she will learn it and master it, but this 5-10 different ways to multiply is ridiculious. Nothing is taught to mastery anymore and it is sad.

Yep. That's the current 'soup de jour' of math pedagogy these days.

It's called "spiraling" and it is an utter joke IMHO (at least in the younger years when they have the attention span of a gnat). Mine were continually frustrated at having to relearn a concept all over again. Mine were certainly not the only ones. I think I know about 3 people in my town who didn't have their kids tutored.

It was a double-edged sword though because having the kids tutored would make them better at math obviously, and then EDM would get all the credit. Facebook even has a page called "Parents Against Everyday Math" and it's at nearly 900 members now.

I would definitely find her a tutor. I'm currently looking for one for my DD (now in 6th and has had it since Kindergarten) before it's too, too, late.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Yep. That's the current 'soup de jour' of math pedagogy these days.

It's called "spiraling" and it is an utter joke IMHO (at least in the younger years when they have the attention span of a gnat). Mine were continually frustrated at having to relearn a concept all over again. Mine were certainly not the only ones. I think I know about 3 people in my town who didn't have their kids tutored.

It was a double-edged sword though because having the kids tutored would make them better at math obviously, and then EDM would get all the credit. Facebook even has a page called "Parents Against Everyday Math" and it's at nearly 900 members now.

I would definitely find her a tutor. I'm currently looking for one for my DD (now in 6th and has had it since Kindergarten) before it's too, too, late.

Good luck to you.
Good luck to you also

I am going to talk with the school tomorrow. I volunteer there two days a week, so I am friendly with the office staff. I will see if they can give me a recommendation for a tutor.

I think math these days is so much more confusing than it has to be. We all learned math the old way and we seem to get along just fine.

It also makes it almost impossible for parents to help their kids with their homework. I had to go on line more than once to look up certain Algorithms that she had on her homework, but was confused as to how it worked because they spent all of 10 minutes on it that day.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Get her some graph paper to use for her math homework. One number in each box. I would also ask to meet with the teacher before hiring a tutor. It's possible the teacher has the same concerns and can offer some extra help to get her on track.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Get her some graph paper to use for her math homework. One number in each box. I would also ask to meet with the teacher before hiring a tutor. It's possible the teacher has the same concerns and can offer some extra help to get her on track.
I have spoken with her teacher and she suggested Summer school. She didn't offer any extra help. This is why I am thinking a tutor might be a good idea.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,431 times
Quote:
I have spoken with her teacher and she suggested Summer school. She didn't offer any extra help. This is why I am thinking a tutor might be a good idea.
NO, not summer school!!!

Seriously, in most places -- obviously not in all, of course, but in most places, summer school is a bare revisitation of the barest teeny minimum of the material covered during the year and is typically taken by students who did not pass the class. It's not the world's best atmosphere from an academic standpoint.

Seriously, get her a tutor. Get her a tutor and maybe sign up with IXL (IXL). It's a site that covers math standards from pre-K through algebra and has a ton and a half of practice problems with instantaneous feedback. Kids also like it because they get little prizes and certificates for mastering skills or doing a certain # of problems or working for X amount of time.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Another possibility is Khan Academy depending on the level of math.

khanacademy's Channel - YouTube

They do have a developmental math series.

and arithmetic

Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

My daughter didn't like the small graph paper so I was able to google a math website that offered larger graph paper. She used that for a bit.

Also, a regular lined notebook paper turned sideways (lines vertical) is also very helpful in teaching her to line up her numbers for division (and by 'division' I mean TRADITIONAL division, not that 'partial products' "bass ackwards" from what we learned division ).

There are an endless number of great websites for help like that - here's one of them.

Graphing Worksheets | Standard Graph Paper Worksheets

Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
NO, not summer school!!!

Seriously, in most places -- obviously not in all, of course, but in most places, summer school is a bare revisitation of the barest teeny minimum of the material covered during the year and is typically taken by students who did not pass the class. It's not the world's best atmosphere from an academic standpoint.

Seriously, get her a tutor. Get her a tutor and maybe sign up with IXL (IXL). It's a site that covers math standards from pre-K through algebra and has a ton and a half of practice problems with instantaneous feedback. Kids also like it because they get little prizes and certificates for mastering skills or doing a certain # of problems or working for X amount of time.

Charles Wallace: You are a very wise person, but you forgot "barest teeny minimum of the relatively useless material"...etc..

Okay. I'll stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education