Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times

Advertisements

I was listening to the local radio morning show and they had a a teacher e-mail the show about how her hands are tied to do anything really in terms of discipline, putting certain students in specialized classes. I don't remember how the entire email went, but basically she said that because certain students are diagnosed with certain, and severe behavioral problems that they had to keep these students in with the "regular" kids, and are not allowed to punish these students. One example is when a student with some kind of disorder which causes him to lash out at authority figures pulled a knife on this teacher, and despite her best efforts couldn't get this student transferred to a different school let alone to a class better equipped to handle these kind of problems. I don't think that teachers should be trying to diagnose the mental state of their students but if a child is willing to threaten the teacher with a knife don't you think they should be given some kind of authority to have that child removed, and put in specialized classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
This thread on the teaching forum may enlighten you: Vent by special ed. teacher regarding double standard about who a student hits

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Teachers have no authority to do that. Any teacher in my school who even suggested that a student should be removed because they were dangerous would be immediately labeled a lazy, maybe racist, classist, disability-ist, generally discriminatory person who simply didn't know how to handle the child and had basically failed. Often they would be made to seem that they were looking out for themselves or trying to hurt that student on behalf of more privileged students. It was a death sentence. A teacher could only request a meeting with special ed or some committee, and delicately try to suggest that the student might need "additional support," and couch it all in a language that suggested it was all for the benefit of the student and mainly related to academics, not behavior. This would have to happen maybe 100's of times, by different teachers, before any administrator would be willing to consider removing the child from mainstream. And if the child had a parent who objected, no matter who the parent was, that child was sure to be terrorizing classrooms and teachers for many years to come.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Teachers have zero authority. All they can do is put in a request to the administrators.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
This thread on the teaching forum may enlighten you: Vent by special ed. teacher regarding double standard about who a student hits

They were discussing on the radio kid A with the problems brandishes a knife to the teacher threatening to kill her and he gets a free pass, but kid B with no problems leaves his pocket knife in his pants pocket and forgets about and he's treated like a criminal.
And my mom has had to deal with this too. She works in a special ed school teaching younger adults life skills. One day one of the kids decided he didn't want to do what any one said anymore and head butted my mom she said she had no idea how to react.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Sorry to say that is the law today regarding these incidents.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:12 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Keep in mind that even the kid who is "treated like a criminal" is going to get, at most, a 10 day suspension without the school board taking a vote. Unless it is a firearm, most states no longer allow districts to expel. Many states no longer allow schools to expel (in other words, not only does the student have to stay in the district, but the district cannot even transfer them to another school). Firearms are the only exception because of school law; and the recent shooting may lead to that law being repealed.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Mine are not remotely tied...mostly because I choose not to work for a public district, but rather for a private school where the model is much different.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
And my mom has had to deal with this too. She works in a special ed school teaching younger adults life skills. One day one of the kids decided he didn't want to do what any one said anymore and head butted my mom she said she had no idea how to react.
I've been a special education teacher for a while. Honestly, if your mom works for a specialized school that deals with this particular population, and has not been trained and supported in safely dealing with noncompliant and aggressive behavior, something is not right about how the program is being run. No special education teacher should ever be in a position where he or she has no idea how to react to a student's behavior and has no support in response. Behavior intervention plans exist for precisely such a reason...particularly in specialized schools.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
In Virginia, teachers do have the authority to remove a student from the classroom. I have used this once.

The teacher shall have initial authority to remove a student from class for disruptive
behavior that interrupts or obstructs the learning environment as provided for by Section
22.1-276.2 of the Code of Virginia. The removal of students from class under this
regulation relates to a decision by the teacher that a student should be discharged and
not returned to the classroom for an indeterminate time longer than one school day.

In my district, you start by sending the student to the office with a note that reads, "Removed from class under regulation 2606" and that is enough to keep the child out for a minimum of 24 hours.

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/files/8KJKM7521E72/$file/R2606.pdf

Of course you will need to be able to show what you tried with the child prior to his/her removal, but I would assume the removal of the student would happen when the teacher is at wit's end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education