Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times

Advertisements

Dropout rates are improving as the data above shows. College attendance is at an all time high.

Why are people taking the doom and gloom on high school education? There is always room for improvement. But perhaps it isn't the disaster some think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Dropout rates are improving as the data above shows. College attendance is at an all time high.

Why are people taking the doom and gloom on high school education? There is always room for improvement. But perhaps it isn't the disaster some think it is.
Less then 50% 4 year college students graduate.
Less then 30% 2 year college students graduate.

yes, they are going in in droves, but few ever look at how many are actually finishing.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

yes, they are going in in droves, but few ever look at how many are actually finishing.
Those numbers for finishing college are no worse than they have historically been:

The Quick and the Ed » U.S. College Graduation Rate Stays Pretty Much Exactly the Same

Higher Education Research Institute (HERI) - Colleges can better predict graduation rates by looking more closely at the types of students they enroll, report finds

Research and Policy Issues | College Student Retention and Graduation Rates from 2000 through 2012 | ACT

Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^Can't rep you again, but I agree. They told us that when I went to college in 1967. Even at Caltech in 1966, they told my husband's class the same thing, about 50 % will graduate.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Ok, so they are graduating. But they still can barely read or do math.
If the nice "charts" is the goal then we met it.
If producing an educated citizen is the goal, then we are failing for many of them.

Government documents are produced for an 8th grade reading/comprehension level because that is what the average American reads/comprehends at.
Thats another issue, which I'm not going to argue with. We talking about the drop out rate. Which I don't believe is a problem in the US today. The charts are actually pretty impressive (especially for minorities) IMHO.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats another issue, which I'm not going to argue with. We talking about the drop out rate. Which I don't believe is a problem in the US today. The charts are actually pretty impressive (especially for minorities) IMHO.
I was commenting on a poster saying college attendance is at an all time high.
High attendance isn't proof of low dropout rates.

They may not be dropping out at high rates, but we are not graduating top notch students.
We should be ashamed that the average reading/comprehension of Americans is at 8th grade level.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
I was commenting on a poster saying college attendance is at an all time high.

They may not be dropping out at high rates, but we are not graduating top notch students.
We should be ashamed that the average reading/comprehension of Americans is at 8th grade level.
I'm guessing here but that guess tells me that most of the people who post here were in the advanced/honors classes in school. Which means that they weren't exposed to the vast majority of students who worked at/achieved at lower than grade level. That's not a new phenomenon but, again. historical.

I see this all the time with new teachers, they can't believe how "dumb" their students are without realizing that is the way it's always been. They just didn't notice it when they were in school.

As a note, those kids at lower levels used to either drop out or took some sort of vocational or business course. Now those programs have been largely gutted and everyone is being told they're going to college.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:

I believe by the way that too many kids are going to college. They are attempting the wrong degree and borrowing too much money. If they are going to work at Starbucks after earning their history degree they could do that straight out of high school. Four years later they might be an "assistant manager" without debt.

So I am not concerned about completion rates. Some people just aren't cut out for college. And if some kids start college and decide it isn't right for them - quitting might be the best outcome - instead of wasting time and money.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I believe by the way that too many kids are going to college. They are attempting the wrong degree and borrowing too much money. If they are going to work at Starbucks after earning their history degree they could do that straight out of high school. Four years later they might be an "assistant manager" without debt.

So I am not concerned about completion rates. Some people just aren't cut out for college. And if some kids start college and decide it isn't right for them - quitting might be the best outcome - instead of wasting time and money.
Suppose you get yourself hired to decide who shouldn't go to college. Look those parents in the eye and tell them their kid isn't "college material". Maybe you could do follow-up by picking their majors for them. My brother was a history major and had a good career in human resources.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Suppose you get yourself hired to decide who shouldn't go to college. Look those parents in the eye and tell them their kid isn't "college material". Maybe you could do follow-up by picking their majors for them. My brother was a history major and had a good career in human resources.
On one hand though, if these kids took out student loans they are now burdened with that debt to pay back.

The opportunity to go to college is there for everyone.
I think high schools do a bad job at career counseling with this push for 4 year academic schools.
If the kids don't have the grades to get into a 4 year school then the 2 year CC is pushed.

They have 1 year certificate programs at the CC or 2 year degrees at the CC.
The counselors at school have access to student records and for some, it's quite obvious they are not college material yet they are pushed in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education