Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

Every school day, 7000 kids drop out of school.

While the causes vary, new data suggests there are two main reasons students are leaving high school before graduation.

A Look at Why So Many Kids in the U.S. Are Dropping Out of School - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
I think the second reason (teen pregnancy) is due to a lack of parental guidance. To sum it up, the article blames parents as the reason kids drop out of school. Does this surprise anyone?

Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
*gasp* You mean it's not the teachers' fault? (My apologies for the sarcasm; I'm just fed up with the general public blaming teachers for everything and then saying the teachers are whining when they point out the importance of parental support).

Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
*gasp* You mean it's not the teachers' fault? (My apologies for the sarcasm; I'm just fed up with the general public blaming teachers for everything and then saying the teachers are whining when they point out the importance of parental support).
Nope. It's the parents fault for providing their children with horrible learning environments, including horrible teachers. Horrible teachers do exist.... as do excellent ones.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Of course it's always the parents' fault. EVERYTHING is the fault of the parents. (Sarcasm ON HIGH)

Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM

It's similar to how if a corporation has a loss, it's the CEOs fault. If a Football team performs horribly, it's the coaches fault.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's similar to how if a corporation has a loss, it's the CEOs fault. If a Football team performs horribly, it's the coaches fault.
Analogy failure. People are responsible for their own actions, even high school students who get pregnant. I see the other reason is lack of parental encouragement, which may be correct. However, I think there are very few parents who don't want their kids to graduate from high school.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
And yet graduation rates have increased over the last 50 years (dropout rates have been cut by 2/3 in that time).

High School Dropout Rates by Gender, 1960–2009 — Infoplease.com

The difference is that we track the rates now where we really didn't. I also wonder if those countries "beating" us using the same statistics and tracking as we do.

As far as pregnant girls dropping out, it's not for lack of mandated school supports such as required tutoring and Home and Hospital teachers.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And yet graduation rates have increased over the last 50 years (dropout rates have been cut by 2/3 in that time).

High School Dropout Rates by Gender, 1960–2009 — Infoplease.com

The difference is that we track the rates now where we really didn't. I also wonder if those countries "beating" us using the same statistics and tracking as we do.
And this argument has been hashed out, ad nausem. In countries we are compared to, IMHO there are 2 main differences that stand out:

1. In many of those countries, only the brightest attend public school. All the others are Left Behind. All kids in the US start out in school and are part of our testing that measures and compares us.

2. In many of those countries, students aren't tested to death. They may have 1 assessment instrument that is reliable and valid. At least in my school, we have 4 huge standardized assessments students take and are measured by. Leaves little time in the classroom to teach the relevant content.

But what does the US's answer seem to be to this disparity? More testing; after all, that IS the path to accountabiity, right? (sarcasm )

Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
Ther are no blanket answers to the problem ,
Every one of us have a different learning capability in spicific areas . But the system of schools do not personalize the students expirence,they can't .
We couldn't afoard it indefinately but our kids were in a ACE (accelerated christian education), school .
There were no grade levels ,the students went through the books at the level they could achieve, with out comparisson to other students, and I have to say the results were significant .
I would have loved to go to a school like this when I was a kid .
I had lots of problems , a little slow on the up take. I can't memorize answers ,I have to understand the principles that provide the right answers . I hated english because it breaks it's own rules . math was tough and history was a complete waste of time . and I did have some really bad teachers,seriously bad.
The evidence of history proved, no one learned any thing from knowing it to begin with.
And on one hand you have military the are sworne to up hold the constitution, and a government that is trying to dissolve it . Something is seriously twisted here.
As far as the drop out rate , I can certianly understand it .
The govenrnment is doing all they can to snatch hope from the people,inspite of the things they say.
Actions speak louder than words .
What kind of hope is there for the future generations, when environmentalists alone have so much pull, business are leaving the country just to stay afloat ,not to mention state taxing that is opressive .
Do you know stores are taxed for product sitting on the shelf even if it was paid for the year before.
It is why certian sales are pushed before tax time.this is abusive.

With more and more liberal hand outs for those that won't work , what is the encentive to work ? even if you could find it.
The dollar is dropping in value like a stone ,but wages are not keeping up ,the whole economic system is on melt down ,so what exactly are your hoping to do with a collage degree ?
Most of the people I have ever known in my 62 years have NOT gotten a job in the field they went to collage for.
It was a complete waste of time an money and that is a fact.
Now having a degree is impressive to some folk in getting a job , but it is a whole different matter KEEPING a job where that degree actually applies.
Drop out Kids that get jobs now, have something their piers don't , currently working, expirence, and a reference to prove it.
And that is what lands jobs .
The times ahead are far darker than the media will let you see but if I were hiring , I would hire the drop out and let him prove him self , He will discover the information valuable to him to learn and choose his own encentive to learn and better him self.
Personally I'd rather see a lot of tetnical schools after grammer school, let a kid figure out what they like doing and what it takes to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education