Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

I am speechless and without words. Just terrible.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
It's not about the best educational method...

Much like home-schooling for everyone until they're able to drive to school.

What planet are you on where you think a sizeable proportion of American parents would be even remotely good at home-schooling?
Well, I'd rather my world be about the best educational method.

Yes, home-schooling for everyone who prefers that method until they're able to drive to secondary schools of their own choosing.

I've seen many people who love their children enough to take an active role in their education. I've also seen many systems that provide online education to people of all ages that provide many advantages to brick-n-mortor approaches.

Are you saying that all the classes taken remotely via a computer fail to educate?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Life is full of risks and they can't be avoided by hiding in your house.
Umm... Yes, they can be avoided by hiding in your house. But, the question is do you want to hide in your house?

That's not the point here though. The point is that it's time to stop cheating people out of the right to a better education and start using methods available to all, like home delivered education. We need to leave the current system behind and adopt a much better system.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 AM

"It would also be cheaper for taxpayers."

Yes!

"Less teachers needed"

I was hoping to avoid that with the intent on providing more teachers to more children online.

"less falling apart buildings"

Yes!

"less utility bills"

Yes!

"less insurance"

Yes!

"plus the classes could be recorded so parents could have the child "attend school" when they are home from work and also know exactly what the teachers are teaching"

You have a good grasp of the advantages.

"Also, school choice would not involve transportation. Your kid could take a math class from a teacher in NJ, a reading class from a teacher in Alaska, a science class from a teacher in Tennessee."

Freedom of choice.

"This also gives teachers the freedom to live where they want to/where they can afford. This would be true for parents who try to buy homes where there are good schools now. Maybe cultural barriers would go away with that, too, as kids would be exposed to other kids not at all like them like the New York kid going to school with the kid from Alabama."

More intelligent comments, thx.

"Their school work could be sent to teachers the same way the government is demanding your medical records be available for other doctors and the government with which no one seems to have a problem. It could be interactive the same way your business meetings with others not geographically close can be."

Again, yes.

"A lot of physical disabilities go away online much like they do on City Data when you have no idea if the person posting along with you is disabled or what they look like. I'm thinking a drop in bullying, too."

Good points.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If only the school staff had been armed, many children's lives would have been saved.

I'm a teacher, not a security guard. I don't expect to have to shoot people on my job. Further, do you really want guns in the building where unruly students could conceivably gain access to them?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If only the school staff had been armed, many children's lives would have been saved.
To be effective with a weapon one must be trained. Not everyone can be trained. It takes many hours and a certain comfort level to use a weapon effectively.

Also, in a high school, where many students are bigger than teachers / staff, it is very possible to "lose" possession of a weapon and it then becomes an internal problem of who was the gun and how many will die now...

If I wanted to carry a weapon at work, I would have been in the military or law enforcement.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It is "safer" to be a police officer now, than teaching school. I remember one incident when I was teaching, the school was on lock down, because of a police chase in the neighborhood of my school. And I was looking at my students, thinking, "Wow, I am responsible for these kids.".

Teachers deserve more respect, and possibly hazardous duty pay. When a situation like this occurs in a school, those teachers should receive some sort of additional pay.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
We need to address the MENTAL HEALTH issues of this country.
This.

Because the mental health issues of this country are BIG - not small, and certainly not "isolated cases". They are by no means limited to the "extremes" that show up once in a while and make things end in visible tragedy.

How about we talk of the MAJORITY whose acts do no result in immediate and visible tragedy and yet who live lives of isolation, alienation, constant competitiveness for strictly material rewards or personal glory, obsessed with the "self" and personal advantages despite CV-s full of "volunteering" acts...?

I have heard so many parents (in fact, most) talking to their children as if they read from a director-approved script, relating to children and addressing them based on "expert"-written books - it's hardly funny. There is so much "fake-ness", alienation and lack of authenticity in this society, including in parent-child relationships, no wonder this place is in a horrific spiritual crisis.

Unfortunately, nothing will change until people stop and take a long and realistic look in the mirror.
Which they never will...because it's just those "mentally ill" people who are the problem...everything else is perfectly fine exactly the way it is. Until the next "exception" pulls the trigger...and so on.

Many more will go. Many more.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
I'm actually remorseful for the shooter as well as the victims.
People who feel like they need to shoot a bunch of 5 year olds are sick in the mind. What bothers me is nobody payed this man no attention, this is why this happened.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
"It would also be cheaper for taxpayers."

Yes!

"Less teachers needed"

I was hoping to avoid that with the intent on providing more teachers to more children online.

"less falling apart buildings"

Yes!

"less utility bills"

Yes!

"less insurance"

Yes!

"plus the classes could be recorded so parents could have the child "attend school" when they are home from work and also know exactly what the teachers are teaching"

You have a good grasp of the advantages.

"Also, school choice would not involve transportation. Your kid could take a math class from a teacher in NJ, a reading class from a teacher in Alaska, a science class from a teacher in Tennessee."

Freedom of choice.

"This also gives teachers the freedom to live where they want to/where they can afford. This would be true for parents who try to buy homes where there are good schools now. Maybe cultural barriers would go away with that, too, as kids would be exposed to other kids not at all like them like the New York kid going to school with the kid from Alabama."

More intelligent comments, thx.

"Their school work could be sent to teachers the same way the government is demanding your medical records be available for other doctors and the government with which no one seems to have a problem. It could be interactive the same way your business meetings with others not geographically close can be."

Again, yes.

"A lot of physical disabilities go away online much like they do on City Data when you have no idea if the person posting along with you is disabled or what they look like. I'm thinking a drop in bullying, too."

Good points.
Online education will never be able to completely replace the socialization and motivational advantages that come with dealing with real human beings, particularly for much younger students. Parents now can barely motivate their kids to do well in school or help them with their schoolwork, that's certainly not going to get any better if there's no other qualified adult around to do it. There is also the concrete-representational-abstract instructional approach for math that is proven to work that simply cannot be replicated using a computer.

I think what's more realistic is a blended approach where students are getting more of their lessons and doing more of their work on computers, but they still spend reasonable amounts of time at a local school learning from and with others and qualified adults.

The for-profit, online college industry has been an abject disaster in this country and a gigantic waste of money. Their graduation rates are abysmal. If adults can't do well with such a system, there's no way little kids will be able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education