Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
The vast majority of states (if not all) are employment at will. An employer isn't "required" to write you up, issue a warning, or put you through any program whatsoever unless they chose to put that in their company guidelines. Otherwise, they can just fire you for any reason they want, as long as it's not due to your sex, race, religion, etc. But being an alcoholic is not protected by law as a reason you can't lose your job. If the place you used to work had protection under the union for substance abuse, then that was the place you worked at or that specific union. But there has been no place that I've ever worked (including the college I currently work at), that would put someone into a substance abuse program instead of firing them for showing up to work drunk. At one point, someone fairly prominent at the school was fired because of the alcohol that was regularly on his breath.
Though, to avoid a charged termination, the employer might warn the employee on first offense.
<i>At that point,</i> the employee could enroll themselves (no requirement for the company to do it) in a substance abuse program and then ADA protections kick in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Can you name any job that allows you to drink while you're working? Can you name another job where you can't be laid off or fired just because you worked there X number of years? Has everybody here only worked for bosses that liked them?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can you name any job that allows you to drink while you're working? Can you name another job where you can't be laid off or fired just because you worked there X number of years? Has everybody here only worked for bosses that liked them?
I've never known one that allowed drinking while working but I have seen people show up for work, obviously, intoxicated who were only given a reprimand. I know of no job where people cannot be fired or laid off after working X number of years including teaching. It is a myth that a tenured teacher cannot be fired. They can be and their positions can be eliminated.

Let's say I tenure at my current job and in two years the state of Michigan regains some of its senses and eliminates the requirement to take chemistry to graduate. If they did that, we'd lose half of our chemistry students and would only need one chemistry teacher. Since the other chemistry teacher also teaches AP physics, it would be me laid off not him even though I would be tenured and he would not yet be tenured. The decision would be made on the fact that I have never trained for or taught AP physics not my tenure status. This is actually quite likely to happen a few years down the road as I do believe that Michigan will, eventually, come to its senses on chem for all. Unfortunately, that means a lot of former chemistry teachers will hit the street at the same time....EEK!!!

All tenure means is they must give us due process and have a reason for letting us go. It's basically what I had in industry. Once I was past my probationary period, they would have to have reason to let me go and the reason could be elimination of my position which it was after 17 years in industry.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can you name any job that allows you to drink while you're working?
Sure can. At my husband's place of employment. During their meetings they have catered food and beer.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM

38 posts, read 58,515 times
Some teachers not all of them ...but I have been around a few that party REALLY hard.
Drinking so much that they cannot remember half the day with their students -
Smoking marijuana
Sleeping with their students
Their home is a party house ...
So not cool.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,944 times
If she a part of the teacher union she keep her job I am willing to bet on that. She might even get pay increase the why most teacher unions are.

The cost of firing her is to much it is just cheaper to keep her as a teacher.

In New York City, it often costs taxpayers $250,000 just to fire one incompetent teacher. Some teachers remain on the payroll even after being convicted of serious felonies, requiring districts to hold disciplinary hearings behind prison walls.

Firing tenured teachers isn't just difficult, it costs you - USATODAY.com

Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
If she a part of the teacher union she keep her job I am willing to bet on that. She might even get pay increase the why most teacher unions are.

The cost of firing her is to much it is just cheaper to keep her as a teacher.

In New York City, it often costs taxpayers $250,000 just to fire one incompetent teacher. Some teachers remain on the payroll even after being convicted of serious felonies, requiring districts to hold disciplinary hearings behind prison walls.

Firing tenured teachers isn't just difficult, it costs you - USATODAY.com
She already quit. As to how expensive the firing of an incompetent teacher is: while it may cost $250,000 to get rid of them in New York, people keep saying they get paid over $100,000 a year there, so that is about 2 1/2 years of their base pay. Better to spend that and get them out of the system than to keep paying them to sit in an room staring into space. It cost my district 4 years ago $81,000 to get rid of a teacher who wasn't just incompetent, but he was also cruel to the kids. As far as I am concerned, if $81,000 is what it took to get him out of the classroom then it was worth spending $81,000 to get rid of him rather than continuing to be stuck with him.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
She already quit. As to how expensive the firing of an incompetent teacher is: while it may cost $250,000 to get rid of them in New York, people keep saying they get paid over $100,000 a year, so that is about 2 1/2 years of their base pay. Better to spend that and get them out of the system than to keep paying them to sit in an room staring into space.
Yea she can fight it and drag it out in court and the union will back her. My point is why does it have to cost the tax payers so much to fire a teacher?

We had a case in Washington state that teacher got paid 17, 000 bucks after video tapping students under there desk.A Selah Junior High School teacher was paid $17,000 not to challenge his termination after a small video camera was found under a ninth-grade girl's desk.

McMillen is 52 years old, an 18-year veteran teacher in Selah, at the junior high school, and apparently a fan of cameras. Multiple hidden cameras were discovered in Mr. McMillen's classroom.

Chris Scacco, Assistant Superintendent for the Selah School District, described how the cameras were found.

"We had a student that had discovered a camera under her desk. The teacher, Mr. McMillen, took the camera from her and then at the end of the day, the building administration was notified that that had happened in the classroom by other students."

After the school district was alerted, they confiscated Mr. McMillen's school computer and the classroom was searched. The classroom search turned up even more cameras.

"There was a camera hidden inside a clock. There was a camera hidden inside an outlet. They were in inconspicuous, hidden places so you couldn't easily see them," says Scacco.

Why are we paying teacher accused of secretly videotaping students? - The Dori Monson Show - MyNorthwest.com

The Selah School District agrees to pay a science teacher from Selah Junior High nearly $17,000 in exchange for his resignation.

Dave McMillen has been on paid leave since mid-October, when a camera was found in his classroom.

Police say the camera was placed in an inappropriate position under a desk.

The school superintendent says the agreement is in the best financial interest of the school district.

Selah Jr High Teacher Settlement Details

Why do we have to pay teacher a dam thing if they broke the law I know innocent until proven guiltily but to pay him to quite is fatuous.

Sorry did not want to go on a rant but the teacher union are broken .

If a teacher breaks the law or does something like get drunk or high at work why are they getting money?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post

If a teacher breaks the law or does something like get drunk or high at work why are they getting money?
Because it is cheaper than just firing them. I do agree that it is too hard to fire tenured teachers. I personally think if you've been convicted of a felony you need to lose your certification. However, for a whole host of reasons, which has been explored in-depth on this forum and I don't want to hijack the thread, teachers still need tenure. Unions ought to have a "does this teacher deserve protection" stage before deciding to take on a teacher's firing.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 AM

395 posts, read 546,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Drinking in front of 5th graders at home? No problem (if you’re doing it responsibly). Drinking in front of 5th graders in a 5 th grade classroom? Problem. Drinking in front of 5th graders in a 5th grade classroom when you’re a 5th grade teacher? Big problem, as KENS 5 reports.

5th grade teacher drinks beer in classroom, everyone gets upset
I would be interested in seeing the "photographic evidence" before joining the witch-hunt. Also hear the results from each of the students being privately, individually interviewed. This is a woman's life and reputation we are so quick to destroy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education