Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It turns my stomach as well. I think that people should be allowed to read this book if they choose to do so, but to make it required reading is just wrong.
It is NOT required reading. It may be assigned by particular teachers in particular English classes, but please realize this is NOT a common core issue. The book is on a list of recommended reading for 11th grade. It is NOT required of any district or school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is NOT required reading. It may be assigned by particular teachers in particular English classes, but please realize this is NOT a common core issue. The book is on a list of recommended reading for 11th grade. It is NOT required of any district or school.
I know that it's not required and I don't think that it ever should be.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I'm left wondering what the hidden agenda is for wanting our kids to read this? Acceptance of pedophilia? Rape? Violence against women? This does not belong in the hands of our children. I've read enough to know this is not a book I'd ever want to read. I don't care to be a co-conspirator with a pedophile as he rapes children and I'd question the morals of anyone who would.
Godwin's Second Law.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Pedophilia approaches 1"

Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 AM

36 posts, read 38,581 times
Why the Common Core is Bad for Americahttp://www.washingtonpolicy.org/publications/notes/why-common-core-bad-america

By Jonathan Butcher, Emmett McGroarty and Liv Finne
, May, 2012
Key Findings
  1. The Common Core is the basis for a national curriculum and national test.
  2. Three hundred prominent policymakers and education experts warn the Common Core will close the door on innovation.
  3. The Common Core standards are of insufficient quality.
  4. The cost of the Common Core is considerable, yet unknown
Homeschoolers call this a cookie cutter way of learning. Yes innovation will be lost. That means company's everywhere will have a harder time. You cannot over regulate education. Teachers that work with kids find the best ways to teach them yet, are not asked for their input. Freedom to think and express is important in every aspect of life.

There are many online helpful and inexpensive ways to aid in your child's education: IXL, is a great one, Enchanted learning, math drills....
If education becomes a bureaucracy, we may be doomed. Education will have to go underground.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Godwin's Second Law.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Pedophilia approaches 1"

Seriously? We are discussing a book about pedophilia here..... I'm questioning the agenda in having our kids read a book that was written with the intent of the reader feeling like a co-conspirator with the pedophile and written so as not to judge the pedophile and you're making up a new Godwin's second law to fit your agenda????

Here's Godwin's second law. It's a corollary to the first law:

"His secondary law is that; as the likely-hood of Nazi's and/or Hitler being mentioned in a thread, in direct reference to his Primary law, increases, so to must the chances of his own law being referred to."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Godwin's%20Second%20Law

No pedophiles in sight....

Now if you'd like to use the above link to define your own Godwin's third law go right ahead but so far, there doesn't seem to be a Godwin's law dealing with pedophiles. Just Nazi's....Darn...Now we've use Godwin's first law and his second law...

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-10-2014 at 03:44 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cternes View Post
Why the Common Core is Bad for Americahttp://www.washingtonpolicy.org/publications/notes/why-common-core-bad-america

By Jonathan Butcher, Emmett McGroarty and Liv Finne
, May, 2012

Key Findings
  1. The Common Core is the basis for a national curriculum and national test.
  2. Three hundred prominent policymakers and education experts warn the Common Core will close the door on innovation.
  3. The Common Core standards are of insufficient quality.
  4. The cost of the Common Core is considerable, yet unknown
Homeschoolers call this a cookie cutter way of learning. Yes innovation will be lost. That means company's everywhere will have a harder time. You cannot over regulate education. Teachers that work with kids find the best ways to teach them yet, are not asked for their input. Freedom to think and express is important in every aspect of life.

There are many online helpful and inexpensive ways to aid in your child's education: IXL, is a great one, Enchanted learning, math drills....
If education becomes a bureaucracy, we may be doomed. Education will have to go underground.
Education won't go underground. It will die. What we are doing now is not educating and I see no improvements coming down the pike. Where I teach we're so worried about preserving egos and GPA's that learning falls by the wayside. About the only way I see us getting back to learning is with exit exams for every single grade. Don't pass the test, don't move to the next grade, period. The test should test both what they know and their ability to work with new information (the way the science section of the ACT works).

What baffles me about education is why they don't take a cue from industry. In industry if you want to improve something you don't throw everything out and start from square one. You identify your issues and start improving them one by one. In time, you end up with a system that works. In education, every few years we just toss everything and start from the ground up. By the time we start to figure out how to work around what isn't working, we're on to the next savior of education.

From the first car that Henry Ford built to the top of the line Ford today is a series of baby steps. Each year brought its improvements. Yes some turned out to not be improvements but they were quickly dropped in favor of things that work. This is what we need to do in education. Exit exams would give us a bar to measure ourselves by but those tests will have to be well written and truly represent what a student finishing that class or grade should know and be able to handle.

My personal take is a lot of people who know nothing about education are making a lot of money selling new ways to educate and they'd be out of work if education handled innovation the way industry does while the teachers, the people who should be making the improvements, are too busy teaching classes of 35 to have the energy left for a fight.

For me, implementing common core means I'm cutting depth out of my curriculum. Chemistry is a subject where the depth is found in tying things together to get into the deeper topics. Those have been removed. I will be pressed to not teach them because they are not in the common core and teaching them jeopardizes GPA's and egos so I'm going to have a lot less to teach. My principal will say that is good because now I can teach deep but I can't go deep if I can't get to the deep topics because they didn't make the list. I'm shocked at how little chemistry made the cut. However, I have to add that this actually represents teaching more than my younger daughter learned in her chemistry class. I was appalled at how little chemistry was covered in her "honors" class. I don't want to know what wasn't taught in non "honors" chemistry. My curriculum BTW is modeled after that of a mentor teacher who has been teaching for over 30 years.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-10-2014 at 03:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Seriously? We are discussing a book about pedophilia here.....
The book is really about institutionalized racism. It's not about pedophilia.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxBClx01jc#t=135

Old 04-10-2014, 07:03 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
What I never see in discussion on Common Core are alternatives suggested. We rank poorly internationally, particularly in STEM, so obviously what we were doing wasn't great. What do people suggest as an alternative?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
My suggestion would be to let the teachers teach and trust them to use their expertise in conjunction with the other professionals in the school and the district. No more standardized testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education