Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile, in my school a parent called an complained that one of my seniors got sunburned while they were out doing a school activity they have been doing since freshman year. Apparently not only am I supposed to supply sunscreen to seniors (at my own cost) I am supposed to remind them to put it on at least three times a day….go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:18 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Meanwhile, in my school a parent called an complained that one of my seniors got sunburned while they were out doing a school activity they have been doing since freshman year. Apparently not only am I supposed to supply sunscreen to seniors (at my own cost) I am supposed to remind them to put it on at least three times a day….go figure.
This made me giggle. A senior? What will the parent do when they go to college?

Are your students allowed to bring sunscreen?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,191,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If it isnt allowed to be brought to school then they can always apply it before school and leave the bottle at home. Besides, one day (if that) in the sun isnt going to cause skin cancer.

One day in the sun unprotected can cause a nasty sunburn.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
This is an issue? Really? My kids always had a small tube of sunscreen and a hat on them when we knew they'd participating in an all-day outdoor activity. There was never an issue with school authorities over it. In fact, many times when they were young, we received a note from a teacher reminding the kids to bring them.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I work in an early childhood center, with toddlers, and we are not allowed to apply sunscreen unless the parent provides it and files a waiver that absolves us of any responsibility of any action if a child gets a rash or other reaction. If the child gets a sunburn, it's on the parent for not providing the sunscreen or filling out paperwork. It seems stupid, but parents can be litigious, and it's a CYA.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am the father of two 5 year old twins who had them late in my life.................I am continually amazed at the changes since I went to school. Everything is so explicit and called out nowadays.
Because people are much more lawsuit-happy now.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:14 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
My 23 year old future sister in law just had melanoma removed from her back and has a giant 6 inch scar from what was a small mole. She is a brunette of 100% Southern Italian heritage who has never purposefully tanned - she and her parents only remember her ever getting 2 or 3 sunburns as a child. Luckily, it was caught early enough to not require chemo, but that is ONLY BECAUSE my brother saw it. It was not in a location she would have found on her own until it was too late. When I was going through my own cancer treatment at 23 (not skin cancer related), I met several other people in their 20s all going through treatment for melanoma. About half have since died.

This is no joke.

I put on 8 hour, SPF 50 sunscreen every day before I leave for work. If I do not reapply to my neck, chest, arms, and tops of my feet and I eat outside for lunch for a half an hour, I will burn. I've burned through tshirts if I did not put sunscreen on under the shirt. I can't imagine if I was a blond or redhead! I keep a hat at work, but that doesn't help my lower arms, feet, legs, etc.

Just because you never burn when you apply sunscreen once a day does not make that true of everyone.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
I understand saying no aerosol sunscreens, but none at all? CRAZY!
I would keep some in my backpack and reapply in the bathroom.

And if one of these kids ends up with skin cancer 10, 20, or 30 years from now, I bet you the school won't pay for their treatment.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:11 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
I don't think people realize there are two major types of sunscreen. One type is safe with no allergic reactions. The other type can cause peanut allergy type reactions.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:22 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I don't think people realize there are two major types of sunscreen. One type is safe with no allergic reactions. The other type can cause peanut allergy type reactions.
No, I've never heard this. If that is the case, it would be a nightmare for kids with peanut allergies---they couldn't safely go anywhere that people might be wearing sunscreen, which would be pretty much anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education