Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,320 times

Advertisements

I think parents of such school districts should either keep their kids home on field trip day or totally revolt against the rules and give their children sunscreen ANYWAY. While they're at it, they can attach a note that reads as follows:

While I appreciate that schools have to have a sense of structure and order, the no sunscreen rule is totally asinine, and I am not going to allow my child to suffer a painful sunburn because of it. I have furnished sunscreen and she is to be allowed to use it, no questions asked. As the parent, I am overriding you, my child obeys ME before he/she obeys YOU.

And leave it at that.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-08-2014 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: removed the crude sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It's specifically chemical blocker sunscreens. Zinc oxide and Titanium dioxide (physical blockers) do not cause allergic reactions. PABA sunscreen (which is pretty uncommon now, but used to be the most common kind of chemical blocker) can cause some very serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis.
If it rubs into your skin, it is a chemical blocker. If it layers onto your skin, it is a physical blocker.
People can be allergic to some of the perfumes in some suncreens as well.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
We took them to water parks in the nineties...it wouldn't fly today. Even back then we didn't apply or bring sunscreen to students. I think this is much ado about a very small problem. It's not like the kids are in the sun for 6 hours. You have to wait for the buses to come back from morning rounds to elem,middle, and high schools. By the time you drive, it's at least 10:00 before you even get off the bus. You eat around 12:00 and then it's close to 1:00 or possibly 1:30 at the latest before you have to leave. The buses must be back in time for afternoon rounds and they have to clean up the bus and fill it with gas.

I would be concerned if they wouldn't allow hats and no sunscreen.

There would be more common sense in the schools if society wasn't so sue happy. I can't tell you how many inservices I went to that discouraged giving hugs to kinder and first grade students. When you can't even give the kid who scraped their knee a hug, there is a problem. ( I gave hugs anyway)
You keep talking about how much time they spend on the bus and not outside, but the bus does not provide protection from the sun.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,900 times
Another example of the idiocy we all have to face in this country on a daily basis, or so it seems. What's wrong with people?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
No, I've never heard this. If that is the case, it would be a nightmare for kids with peanut allergies---they couldn't safely go anywhere that people might be wearing sunscreen, which would be pretty much anywhere.
It's not the same allergy. A peanut allergy will not give you a sunscreen allergy. But if you have a sunscreen allergy, the reaction is similar to the reaction from a peanut allergy.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:22 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
While I appreciate that schools have to have a sense of structure and order, the no sunscreen rule is totally asinine, and I am not going to allow my child to suffer a painful sunburn because of it. I have furnished sunscreen and she is to be allowed to use it, no questions asked. As the parent, I am overriding you, my child obeys ME before he/she obeys YOU.
Why not give your child a zinc oxide or titanium dioxide sunscreen then?
There is no allergy risk (so they are not covered by the "no sunscreen" rule) and they are much less likely to wear off.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:19 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It's not the same allergy. A peanut allergy will not give you a sunscreen allergy. But if you have a sunscreen allergy, the reaction is similar to the reaction from a peanut allergy.
Oh ok, got it.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
We typically start loading the buses at 9:00 am and leave campus at 9:30-9:40. Travel time is between 30 minutes to an hour depending on the location. So we get there maybe 10:20. We get off the bus with hats and shirts on. We wait in line at the zoo or the water park. We enter at 10:40. We meet back at 12:00 to change and have lunch in a shaded spot or indoors. So we have about an hour and twenty minutes in the sun. After lunch we have a restroom break and pack up for a 1:00 meeting at the bus. We are back at the school between 1:30 and 2:00 so the buses can make their runs.

It's not all day in the sun.

Field day is different, but the kids just go to the nurse to get sunscreen reapplied. We do require hats, sunscreen in the morning, and we provide thick tshirts.
Based on the schedule you provided why even bother wasting tax payer money on such trips?

My kid would have sun screen no ifs, ans. or buts....sunburn is not only painful it's dangerous.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People can be allergic to some of the perfumes in some suncreens as well.
There are fragrance free sun screens

Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
I think part of the problem is that the parents aren't using effective sunscreen. Most of them actually don't work. I used to apply and reapply all day and still get burned, but then I read an article that showed that most of them don't work. I bought one of the few that supposedly do - California Baby - and have never gotten burned where I applied it, even if I don't reapply during the day. I think if the parent used an effective sunscreen instead of just something from the grocery store, and put the kid in clothing that provides at least as much coverage as a T shirt and long shorts, and if the kid wore a hat, then the kid would not be likely to get a bad burn, even in Texas. The only exception might be an all-day swimming trip, but that's not what the parent is complaining about.

But this nonsense about sunscreen being medicine is just ridiculous. Skin cancer is probably more common than sunscreen allergies. And I believe the allergies are just rashes - not like peanuts, where kids die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education