Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM

738 posts, read 1,000,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
lol. My high school was like this. Guess what? The kids who wanted to do drugs did drugs anyway, but were smarter about it. We had like 3-10 kids kicked out per year for being idiots about it. The year after I left they kicked out 30 kids because they went full draconian and raided everyones rooms (this was a boarding school). Before that they were more passive about it and I've heard they have become passive again since kicking 30+ kids out every year for drugs isn't the best reputation for a school to have.
^^^This^^^

When I was in high school some 30+ years ago, drugs were everywhere in school. And because it was easier to obtain 'uppers' and 'downers' than it was to buy pot, the local dealer was kept pretty busy. Toughening drug laws, increasing expulsion rates, locker searches and drug sniffing dogs haven't done one darn thing to curtail use among teens because as tofur said: "The kids who wanted to do drugs did drugs anyway, but were smarter about it."

And really...so the teens get expelled. So what? They'd rather be hanging out doing drugs than be in school anyway. And since most parents use school as a babysitter, it will only be an inconvenience for them and they will just make other arrangements to get the kid into a different school...until they get expelled again. Oh well...

RVcook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:48 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
A school in in my area recently went into a lock down while police with drug sniffing dogs searched the school for drugs. Two students were taken away after the police found cocaine and meth in their lockers.

The students were suspended for a week! One week! Not expelled, no jail time, just one week off to stay at home.

This bothers me for many reasons. First, the school had an opportunity to set an example, but by giving the kids a simple week off of school does nothing to deter other students from bringing drugs into the school. I'm very upset over how the school handled this. Drugs are a huge problem in schools today, mostly because heroin is very cheap and easy for kids to get.

If schools want to get serious about drugs, why not expel the kids permanently! This would set an example and perhaps do something to curtail the problem.
Would you really want to remove kids with drugs from school permanently? I'm not sure what a good solution would be, but taking away their means of education sure isn't it, IMO.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:53 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
What do you do with them once you kick them out of school?

Isn't this the age where we are supposed to be teaching them?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Cocaine and meph are pretty serious. I don't think they should be expelled because education is the only way out for most kids. If they are permantly expelled they will just meet your kid at the park and sell them drugs. They need to make a living somehow since without a high school diploma they can't get a job at Mcdonalds.

I'd like to see the court get tough on kids like these. They should send them to one of those "Scared Straight" programs where they see the inside of Prison. They should also give them many hours of community service some of which must be spent helping addicts and hearing their stories.
Kids need consequences not hopelessness. Expelling them is a dead end street.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Cocaine and meph are pretty serious. I don't think they should be expelled because education is the only way out for most kids. If they are permantly expelled they will just meet your kid at the park and sell them drugs. They need to make a living somehow since without a high school diploma they can't get a job at Mcdonalds.

I'd like to see the court get tough on kids like these. They should send them to one of those "Scared Straight" programs where they see the inside of Prison. They should also give them many hours of community service some of which must be spent helping addicts and hearing their stories.
Kids need consequences not hopelessness. Expelling them is a dead end street.
The scared straight programs do not work. Note that these kids may already have seen relatives in jail as well.

At

Quote:
“We found that scared straight, on average, has a harmful impact,†Petrosino said. “There’s a disconnect between who’s getting the information and who isn’t.â€
Quote:
The program continues to remain attractive not just for parents, but for local county jails because they’re relatively cheap to run, he said. The inmates aren’t being paid for these programs and the jail tours often take groups of kids each time.

Many scared straight programs are also free, as it is in Dougherty County, which makes them appealing for parents who might not have a lot of resources.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I never said they should be in jail. Just permanently expelled from school.

Kids are giving out free heroin in high schools to get kids addicted. Is this something you want for your child? A kid who is doing this should have their life ruined before they ruin the life of countless others. That's what makes total sense.
Where did you get this data?

DrugFacts: High School and Youth Trends | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Quote:
Use of any illicit drug has generally declined over the past two decades. Past-year use of illicit drugs for all grades combined was 27.2 percent in 2014, down from its peak at 34.1 percent in 1997. The MTF survey also shows a decline in the perceived availability of most substance over the past few years, including alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana, powder cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, and prescription painkillers.
Most of the drug use is marijuana which is no where near as serious as what your high school found in these kids lockers.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
It is not the drug dealer's fault it is kid fault
Seriously? How come it is never the kid's fault when he doesn't study and gets bad grades?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:02 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
We have an excellent program in my county - drug court. This venue is used for first time offenders and other criteria made on a case-by-case basis. It involves treatment, total abstinence from drugs, community service, maintaining a job, classes in money management, parenting (whatever the perceived need of skills is.) They are thoroughly assessed to determine and address what personal problems may be occurring that are connected with their negative behavior. If these young men were in it attending school would probably be part of their program.

The drug court people must attend group and individual counseling and an addiction support group frequently and the program can last for up to two years. It's on a point system with rewards and punishments. Any failure to meet one's weekly goals is addressed by loss of points or, if severe enough, a period in jail. In that sense length is self-guided. There is no room for excuses.

Quite a few people have been successful in altering their behavior through this method. It remains to be seen how long the county can afford it. Perhaps when we end the War on Drugs eventually we will begin to view drug behavior more casually. It remains to be seen.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM

70 posts, read 78,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Would you really want to remove kids with drugs from school permanently? I'm not sure what a good solution would be, but taking away their means of education sure isn't it, IMO.
Would you want your children in the same classes with teenage drug addicts?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
Would you want your children in the same classes with teenage drug addicts?
You think they're not already? They're just in class with the ones who haven't been caught.

In the late 80's.. Kid in high school that I had known for quite some time got popped with LSD in his locker. It was a real problem in the area.. Bigger than many people realized. Until my senior year..

Robinson Secondary School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think he only got suspended for a week or so.. Same kid that earlier or later on set the SADD float on fire while it was still in the school. Can't remember which was first..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education