Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:54 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously? How come it is never the kid's fault when he doesn't study and gets bad grades?
Because parents protect them too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Why was the school even under lock down with drug-sniffing dogs in the first place? That would bother me as a parent. Was there some tip that certain kids had drugs? Was it a random search? Did the principal or school superintendent ever explain why this school-wide tactic was used instead of just confronting individual students under suspicion? Such tactics place ALL students under suspicion, which is what bothers me. That is not an atmosphere conducive to learning.

I also wonder, to a lesser degree, about the students' race. White kids often get a slap on the wrist for behavior that in many jurisdictions would have a black or Latino student sent to a mandatory drug program, an alternative school, or even to court. The disparate treatment is no secret in many places in the U.S. But maybe this is irrelevant in OP's case, I don't know. Just something to think about.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,696 times
The school district is still responsible for educating the student (at least in my area). So the student needs to go to an alter native school which the district pays a hefty price to attend as well as the transportation costs.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:36 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
A school in in my area recently went into a lock down while police with drug sniffing dogs searched the school for drugs. Two students were taken away after the police found cocaine and meth in their lockers.

The students were suspended for a week! One week! Not expelled, no jail time, just one week off to stay at home.

This bothers me for many reasons. First, the school had an opportunity to set an example, but by giving the kids a simple week off of school does nothing to deter other students from bringing drugs into the school. I'm very upset over how the school handled this. Drugs are a huge problem in schools today, mostly because heroin is very cheap and easy for kids to get.

If schools want to get serious about drugs, why not expel the kids permanently! This would set an example and perhaps do something to curtail the problem.

You are over reacting. Hurt 2 students' futures permanently due to one mistake? Children have rights and liberties too.

These drugs have nothing to do w heroin! They are the exact opposite of heroin.

I have a huge problem w the way this case was handled too. Why is it okay to bring drug sniffing dogs into schools ever? My tax dollars pay for this?

If this were to happen in my HS, the way you wanted it, the Salutatorian and Valedictorian would have been expelled. Yes, this would have made great "examples" out of the best performing kids in the class.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I never said they should be in jail. Just permanently expelled from school.

Kids are giving out free heroin in high schools to get kids addicted. Is this something you want for your child? A kid who is doing this should have their life ruined before they ruin the life of countless others. That's what makes total sense.

WOW! You really need to become more education on the issue and drop the D.A.R.E. BS.

Start by looking up the difference between "stimulants" and "depressants."

Cocaine is very similar in structure and action as Ritalin- a prescribed drug to many students for ADHD.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
Would you want your children in the same classes with teenage drug addicts?

Again, the whole "users are addicts" argument!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
It's not like they found chocolate or a cheeseburger on them during the raid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education